BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

07-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #463
Nfuego
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - BMW M3 Convertible

Smile E93 - 2008 M3 Convertible - 16,400 miles

Hello everyone. My name is Curt Gentry. I just want to thank every member that has posted in this thread for the past number of months. I leased a Z4 in Sept. of 2008. With my end of lease inching closer, I began studying prices on leases and used M3's on this forum and have searched AutoTrader, eBay, & BMWUSA multiple times a day looking for a bargain. My dealership seemed a bit less interested in helping since M3's are not so easily stocked, so I took it upon myself to scour those sites and read this forum and had decided that if I found a bargain, I would just bypass my dealer and feel good about myself for finding what I wanted at a good price without their help.

I THINK that when you read what I found, you all will think I got a GREAT deal (I hope).

A little story about the find first. As I stated above, I was obsessive about searching and searching and searching. I HAD to get the DCT this time around. My wife can't/won't drive a Manual (she's only 4' 11"...hard to push the clutch in). We both also have rheumatoid arthritis (We're not geezers...she's 35, I'm 45) so sometimes the manual is painful to use. I wanted a convertible...would have probably dropped to a 335 or 135 convertible if I couldn't find a deal on the M3 rather than opting for a M3 Coupe. I would have settled for any color except the silver or white. The Z4 is white. Don't care too much for silver. Would have preferred black interior or the Black/Red.

Found a 2008 M3 Convertible south of Nashville, TN - Approx 350 miles from home. They didn't list all the options. From the pictures online I could tell it was a convertible (They didn't even put the top down for photos). I didn't like the interior color all that much. My Z4 has the tan interior and my wife's X3 does too. It's too light. But, I couldn't let it be a deal breaker. I told my wife about it. I said the price is right - Probably won't have all the options we want, but it's $6000 cheaper than anything online right now. I started emailing a sales lady. I got her to drop the price another $983. Asked her to hold it. We started our drive to the dealer.

The dealer was a Toyota Dealer. They had no idea what they had. We arrived and asked for the original window sticker. Low and behold, it had every option I think they offered in 2008. Here is my deal.

2008 - BMW M3 Convertible - 16,400 miles

Jerez Black
Beige Novillo Extended Leather
Cold Weather Package
-Through-Loading
-Heated Front Seats
-Headlight Washers

Premium Package
-Power Folding Mirrors
-Universal Garage Door
-Sycamore Anthracite Wood
-Digital Compass Mirror
-BMW Assist

Technology Package
-M Drive
-Electronic Damping
-Comfort Access
-Navigation

DCT
19" wheels
Adjustable front armrest
Adjustable Seat width/lumbar
Alarm Pre-Wiring
Park Distance Control
Rain Sensor and auto headlight
iPod and USB adapter
HD Radio
Satellite Radio
Enhanced Premium Sound

Total Sticker Price in 2008 $81,970.00

Price I paid $46,000 plus tax, doc fee, license, etc...

I'd love to hear everyones thoughts on the deal. It was certainly worth a 7 hour drive each way to get the car.

The car is absolutely amazing. It has a little clear coat rash on the driver's front fender and a rock chip on the hood. I have a friend with a body shop. He'll probably fix that for a couple hundred dollars.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #464
NaplesBull
Rep
Drives: 07 MB E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfuego View Post
Hello everyone. My name is Curt Gentry. I just want to thank every member that has posted in this thread for the past number of months. I leased a Z4 in Sept. of 2008. With my end of lease inching closer, I began studying prices on leases and used M3's on this forum and have searched AutoTrader, eBay, & BMWUSA multiple times a day looking for a bargain. My dealership seemed a bit less interested in helping since M3's are not so easily stocked, so I took it upon myself to scour those sites and read this forum and had decided that if I found a bargain, I would just bypass my dealer and feel good about myself for finding what I wanted at a good price without their help.

I THINK that when you read what I found, you all will think I got a GREAT deal (I hope).

A little story about the find first. As I stated above, I was obsessive about searching and searching and searching. I HAD to get the DCT this time around. My wife can't/won't drive a Manual (she's only 4' 11"...hard to push the clutch in). We both also have rheumatoid arthritis (We're not geezers...she's 35, I'm 45) so sometimes the manual is painful to use. I wanted a convertible...would have probably dropped to a 335 or 135 convertible if I couldn't find a deal on the M3 rather than opting for a M3 Coupe. I would have settled for any color except the silver or white. The Z4 is white. Don't care too much for silver. Would have preferred black interior or the Black/Red.

Found a 2008 M3 Convertible south of Nashville, TN - Approx 350 miles from home. They didn't list all the options. From the pictures online I could tell it was a convertible (They didn't even put the top down for photos). I didn't like the interior color all that much. My Z4 has the tan interior and my wife's X3 does too. It's too light. But, I couldn't let it be a deal breaker. I told my wife about it. I said the price is right - Probably won't have all the options we want, but it's $6000 cheaper than anything online right now. I started emailing a sales lady. I got her to drop the price another $983. Asked her to hold it. We started our drive to the dealer.

The dealer was a Toyota Dealer. They had no idea what they had. We arrived and asked for the original window sticker. Low and behold, it had every option I think they offered in 2008. Here is my deal.

Jerez Black
Cold Weather Package
-Through-Loading
-Heated Front Seats
-Headlight Washers

Premium Package
-Power Folding Mirrors
-Universal Garage Door
-Digital Compass Mirror
-BMW Assist

Technology Package
-M Drive
-Electronic Damping
-Comfort Access
-Navigation

DCT
19" wheels
Adjustable front armrest
Alarm Pre-Wiring
Park Distance Control
iPod and USB adapter
HD Radio
Satellite Radio
Enhanced Premium Sound

I'd love to hear everyones thoughts on the deal. It was certainly worth a 7 hour drive each way to get the car.

The car is absolutely amazing. It has a little clear coat rash on the driver's front fender and a rock chip on the hood. I have a friend with a body shop. He'll probably fix that for a couple hundred dollars.

That my friend is a great deal from what I've seen. The only 08 E93's I could find that low had some accident reports and that price was more like 48-49k. I have now had to change my search to leasing a new one that I'll order since it just seems like the better value for me.

Congrats on the car! I too thank everyone on this post for helping other Future and current M3 owners looking to buy/lease
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #465
Nfuego
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesBull View Post
That my friend is a great deal from what I've seen. The only 08 E93's I could find that low had some accident reports and that price was more like 48-49k. I have now had to change my search to leasing a new one that I'll order since it just seems like the better value for me.

Congrats on the car! I too thank everyone on this post for helping other Future and current M3 owners looking to buy/lease
The damage on the car is hardly noticeable. I have to point it out to people that ask. I'll probably wait to get it fixed until cooler temps come in the late fall. I agree about the lease. That was my next step if I couldn't find a low mile used one.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #466
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:

Jerez Black
Cold Weather Package
-Through-Loading
-Heated Front Seats
-Headlight Washers

Premium Package
-Power Folding Mirrors
-Universal Garage Door
-Digital Compass Mirror
-BMW Assist

Technology Package
-M Drive
-Electronic Damping
-Comfort Access
-Navigation

DCT
19" wheels
Adjustable front armrest
Alarm Pre-Wiring
Park Distance Control
iPod and USB adapter
HD Radio
Satellite Radio
Enhanced Premium Sound

WOW, just WOW!
I got the exact same price for my E90 M3 last summer, but if I saw this, it would take a lot of self control not to get it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #467
pablo e92
Private
Rep
Drives: 13 335i MSport, 18 Corvette GS

subscribed...very nice thread.
just need to sell my e46M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #468
Digitalwok
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 IB

Garage List
2010 Cervelo S3  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Audi Q7  [0.00]
Quote:

Jerez Black
Cold Weather Package
-Through-Loading
-Heated Front Seats
-Headlight Washers

Premium Package
-Power Folding Mirrors
-Universal Garage Door
-Digital Compass Mirror
-BMW Assist

Technology Package
-M Drive
-Electronic Damping
-Comfort Access
-Navigation

DCT
19" wheels
Adjustable front armrest
Alarm Pre-Wiring
Park Distance Control
iPod and USB adapter
HD Radio
Satellite Radio
Enhanced Premium Sound

What a deal and here was the car.com post:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #469
Nfuego
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalwok View Post
What a deal and here was the car.com post:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
That's it! It was on autotrader, too.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #470
M370z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z

Currently looking at a 2010 e92:

Premium Pkg
Cold Weather Pkg
19" Wheels
Sunroof
21k Miles

Dealership is asking 56k
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #471
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
You guys are making me feel as if my car is priced too low. Or maybe people just waiting for a good deal through a dealer than private party?
      07-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #472
sssahib
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' SSII E92 M3 DCT

I need your guys' opinion.

I am looking at a 2009 Silver Stone E92 BMW M3 DCT with 22k miles and the following options:

Premium Package:
- Power Folding Mirror
- Universal Garage Door Opener
- Digital Compass Mirror
- BMW Assist
- Carbon fiber interior trim

Technology Package:
- M Drive
- Electronic Damping Control
- Comfort Access System
- Navigation System
- Keyless entry
-Premium HK Audio
-SIRIUS/XM Radio
-iPod/USB

Plus it has the upgraded LCI tails and LED halos.

Hes down to $50,500 and I'm hoping he'll come down to $49k

Is this a good deal?? Private seller so no tax..

Let me know!

Last edited by sssahib; 07-12-2011 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #473
MAERD TEW
PowerShifter
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 YMB M3 6MT (In Production)

I'm still searching, I found a couple. >30K and around $45K for an 08-09 is what you should be paying. Dealers have been jacking up prices for the M3 lately, but if it's on the lot for more than 1 month they are more than willing to neg.

BMW of Westchester here in NY is probably the best around. My guy there has been searching everywhere for my next car, and doesn't call me unless he's got something."
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #474
Digitalwok
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 Cervelo S3  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Audi Q7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssahib View Post
I need your guys' opinion.

Hes down to $50,500 and I'm hoping he'll come down to $49k

Is this a good deal?? Private seller so no tax..

Let me know!
I have been looking for over 1 month now and that is a good price...not great but good. The thing working in your favor is that I do not think there is high demand for the silverstone color so you can work them on that piece of info.

It seems as though we missed the great deals by about a couple of months. I think that the dealers are trying to recover their margins from the last few years. I hear things like:

"yeah, the used car market is very dry right now because there are very few cars blah, blah, blah...we are not only competing with other used car dealers but new car dealers as well....because Japan is still recovering the car market overall is pretty tight right now..."

I am not in the business but is the car market that bear right now? From what I can see on the car websites there is an ample supply (that is if you are looking for manual and white/black) but nothing is selling. Its the same cars that are listed day in and day out. Which is probably because they are priced high.

Right now there is about a $5K price tug of war going on between buyers and sellers....like I said in my other posts - a game of chicken and we are waiting to see who blinks first. Long story short - for your car anything under $50 is a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #475
NaplesBull
Rep
Drives: 07 MB E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by M370z View Post

Premium Pkg
Cold Weather Pkg
19" Wheels
Sunroof
21k Miles

Dealership is asking 56k
I've only bought one car private seller and I was confused about the tax thing....I remember I ended up saying I bought it for a couple thousand and just paid the tax on that.

But is there a rule now that you don't have to pay tax at all for private party sale?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #476
Digitalwok
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 Cervelo S3  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Audi Q7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesBull View Post
But is there a rule now that you don't have to pay tax at all for private party sale?

No way...we live in America..."love it or leave" - Born on the 4th of July. What is that expression...right, death and taxes.

The government has a sure fire process to collect taxes for used cars. You will pay taxes when you register/title the car at the DMV. I think you even need a bank check when you register it in some cases.

What you will need is the bill of sale stating the price of the car or a statement if the car is a "gift" to you...but I am not sure how that works. I have heard in some cases the state will use the NADA value to determine tax regardless of what you tell them you paid which is extreme.

Nevertheless, the taxman cometh
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #477
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalwok View Post
I have heard in some cases the state will use the NADA value to determine tax regardless of what you tell them you paid which is extreme.

Nevertheless, the taxman cometh
Yeah I heard here in Oklahoma they go off a certain value that's not even NADA or KBB. I don't know how they come up with it but I'm gonna be pissed if they tax me on a value above NADA.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #478
pablo e92
Private
Rep
Drives: 13 335i MSport, 18 Corvette GS

Texas will tax you on the estimated value. Not sure what book they use, but rest assured you'll pay ur "fair" share
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #479
sssahib
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' SSII E92 M3 DCT

AZ has no tax on private sales, so I save a good amount on that :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #480
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssahib View Post
AZ has no tax on private sales, so I save a good amount on that :-)
I hate you.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #481
fuzzybam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB GLE350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
You guys are making me feel as if my car is priced too low. Or maybe people just waiting for a good deal through a dealer than private party?
If I could ditch my car right now I would totally snag yours.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #482
M370z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z

Quote:

Premium Pkg
Cold Weather Pkg
19" Wheels
Sunroof
21k Miles

Dealership is asking 56k

I just spoke with the dealer again and they said the lowest they will go is 55k. Do you guys think I should go for it, or just order a new one for a few grand more (albeit less options)?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #483
Digitalwok
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 Cervelo S3  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Audi Q7  [0.00]
Quote:
I just spoke with the dealer again and they said the lowest they will go is 55k. Do you guys think I should go for it, or just order a new one for a few grand more (albeit less options)?
I would ask them for a picture of the build label. I found that alot of cars that are listed as 2010 actually have a build date in 2009. Where there changes between 2009 and 2010 years for the e92?

Nevertheless, if the build date is 2010 and original MSRP was over 70K then your 55K is a great deal. The only 2010 that I have seen over into the 60K range. Hell, I am looking at a 2009 with 23K miles fully loaded and the dealer is firm at 53K. I will wait a bit as this car has been on the market for at 2 months now and still not sold...I have high hopes.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #484
fuzzybam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB GLE350

At that point I would go for a new one with less options. I'm kind of in the same boat.
Appreciate 0