BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
eluder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m

I'll take one in black please, cooked rare. (56K: No problem! No pics yet!)

This is my mini-review of my new car. As I explore it more, I'll be updating certain areas with more detail.

I know that while I was waiting for my car, I couldn't get enough of peoples' thoughts on their new cars. As such, I'm returning the favor.

Ever since I drove a 96 325i sedan around my neighborhood, I've been hooked on BMW. It wasn't until years later that I was able to get one however.

My first BMW was a 2003 Sedan with ZHP option. Silver Grey/Black. My first love. I was thrilled with every aspect of this car. It wasn't the fastest BMW around, but it was fast enough and looked like a million bucks. I loved this car.

2 years later, I decided I'd try an M3. So, I signed up for a 2 year lease on a 2005 M3 Coupe. Loaded, just like the 330i before it. I picked Silver Grey exterior again, but I went with Imola Red interior this time. I did a Performance Center Delivery and drove all the way back to Boise, ID. It was an absolute blast. I loved this car.

It was time to buy a house. I figured I'd to the right thing and get a cheaper, more practical car. So, 1 year into my M3 lease, I made the jump to a 2006 330i sedan. Sparkling Graphite/Black leather. From the get go, this car just didn't blow my skirt up. The suspension was too soft and I had none of that visceral feel I like in the M3. The car mechanically was great, just too pedestrian. 1 year into this lease, I sold the vehicle and began searching. It wasn't until 18 months after selling the 330i that I got my next car.

2008 M3 sedan. I signed my 2 year lease today. Let me back up. It took a little less than 2 months from order to delivery. I watched it through the Panama canal, called Wagoner's trucking so much that they now don't give out VIN tracking info as a new policy, and bothered the dealer to no end. I called every other day wondering. Then, last night I went out to the dealer after they had closed and saw a sedan. Having memorized my VIN, I approached the car, confirmed a match then, my heartrate exploded. It was here. It was fucking here. It's real. I've SEEN it.

I slept very little that night.

11AM Friday. I picked it up. Jerez/Fox Red, all options but PCD and HD Radio. I almost cried when I saw it.

What do I think of the car?

- Engine. My first V8 car. The tone is out of this world. Being in the break-in period, I'm very cautious, but this thing sounds like a pissed off bull. It's absolutely INSANE. The power is so smooth, even at 4000 RPM, that I seriously will have to make sure I use the restroom before I exceed 5500 RPM, lest I have an accident in the car. This engine is worth the money. It's worth every bit.

- Colors. Black with Red? What was I thinking? Black is hard to clean, red belongs in pimped out Cadillacs! I don't think so, Tim. This combo is absolutely sublime. It's stunning. The red is the absolute PERFECT shade, the Jerez is Black/Purple/Blue in various lighting. The car as a whole is so absolutely menacing that small children run and hide. It looks like it would rob your ass if it could. 100% happy with my choice.

- 19's. A matter of preference, but they look stunning on this car/color combination and they are a major part of reason it's so aggressive in it's stance. They fill the well PERFECTLY. A superb choice.

- Moonroof. A given, I like the light. The CF roof is, in my opinion, a gimmick. It's not like 11lbs is going to make this car any less of a pig. But I guess if you don't like moonroofs, you might as well save a few pounds with the CF.

- Technology PKG. I love gadgets. I really do. Buttons that control navigation, throttle, steering and suspension? Count my ass in.

- Sirius. Not much to say here, works great, still looking for my favorite channels.

- Handling. I'm not track junky, again, but this thing it tight. I keep the suspension in sport and it handles like the spring have been replaced with 2x4s. It's so flat, so sure-footed that I feel like I have studs on the tires. It's endless.

Overall, this car is a riot. I've not had a shit-eating grin on my face in a long time like this. It's so menacing, powerful. The sedan looks literally 2x as good as the coupe now, after seeing both side by side. The proportions look awesome, and the rear end is much better. Again, my opinion.

I'm not going to pretend that I bought this car to track it. I'm about 10% badge whore (since the M's have made me happiest), 90% whatever-makes-me-smile-I-want. This car makes me smile, a lot. Cruising with the V8 burbling, a few inches from a wickedly throttled deep throat lusty intake, is wonderful. It's just amazing. I catch myself looking at it from windows and what not. It's just proportioned so well. I haven't been this happy since my first 330i.

There's obviously a lot of 335 vs M3 debate going on. After driving both and gauging my reaction, if you are in doubt, do it. Get the M3. You'd have to drop enough money into a 335 to afford BOTH cars to make a 335 this good. It's much more than numbers and much more than the sum of its parts. The package is incredible. It's serene, divine, sublime...whatever! It's just amazing.

Fucking AMAZING.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche

no pics no care
      06-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
eluder
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for posting then. You know what this combo looks like, or you could search until I get my camera back.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
moog55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

great review and congrats on your car! awesome. i agree with everything you said except for the part about the sedan looking "2x as good as the coupe". are you kidding me? i think you are.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
eluder
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nope, I'm serious. But looks are subjective, it's just what I think after seeing both next to each other in the same color.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #6
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude

pics ftw

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #7
eluder
First Lieutenant
Rep

My camera won't be back in town until Sunday. I'll snap some good pics then.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Congrats! Awesome review. I enjoyed reading all of it. It sounds like a pretty nice combo and the main thing is that you are smitten with it. Post some pics when you get a chance as I would love to see that combo. Enjoy your car!

Just to clarify on the coupe's CF roof - it's 11 lbs lighter than a steel roof without a moonroof. It's closer to 50 lbs lighter than a steel roof with a moonroof, so that is significant. But if I really wanted a moonroof the weight wouldn't stop me.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #9
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Nice write up... its nice to hear that I'm not the only wacked out M fan out there

When I took the 08 M3 on a test drive, while in the car myself, I was yelling out loud - OMG, friggin amazing sounds!!!

I too have gone through a number of bimmers... I went 01 M3 to 06 330i, and while the 330i is nice, I had to get rid of mine as well as it was just too "normal". The 335i was basically the same as the 330i but goes straight faster, so I want back to an 05 M3 ZCP. I would take an older M over a 335i anyday. I'm just hooked on the "M" overall driving experience - its a friggin blast!

I have your level of passion\enthusiasm for the E90 M3 however I just seem to feel "guilty" spending $60k on a car. I can afford it and all, however I just keep going back and forth every day.... I'll probably just end up getting one soon or I'll explode....

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0