BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Last Saturday Night

Ah, the joy and agony of ownership...

I was going home around midnight when I hit a major pothole on Route 17 NB somewhere near the border of NJ/NY. Felt the bump then heard a loud pop. Then, the TPMS warnings came on. I was on the far right lane so I was able to easily pull over to the shoulder. It was my front right tire. Engaged BMW SOS. Talked to two different people to send out a flatbed. After waiting the longest 45 minutes, the tow truck hauled my ride and me to the nearest BMW dealership, Prestige BMW in Ramsey, NJ. Left the car in front of the garage door and key in a lock box. Then called my father to pick me at the dealership, was afraid he would be mad as it was nearing 2am. Felt like I was back in high school.

It was a very weird experience since I never had a flat tire let alone a blown tire. If it was just a simple flat or I had a spare tire, I'd have gotten the jack out and changed it and have been on my way home in minutes. But since the M3 doesn't come with a spare, I felt so lost. All the semi's and cars whizzing by did not help. I was just praying nothing crazy would happen, like a drunk/inattentive/tired driver slamming into me.

BMW Assist was a huge help. I'm glad that it comes with the car. When it ends, I'll be sure to get some sort of roadside assistance that can help when trouble hits.

Like many members, I bought the tire and wheel insurance at the time of purchase. So, I knew the tire would be covered. At 13,000 miles, all 4 tires had good tread life according to the dealership(I thought I drove this thing hard). However, it would be fine by me if I never have to use the insurance ever again as it is dangerous and inconvenient to be stranded on the side of a major highway, day or night.

My experience with Prestige was straight forward and smooth. Ryan was the SA who took care of my car. I received a phone call on Monday saying the tire would have to be ordered and it would be ready on Tuesday. Then, I received another call on Tuesday saying the car is ready. I never got to meet him because I picked up the car late after work. I signed a few documents and I was back in my baby.

It's been a little over a year since I got into this monster and it's been fantastic. I just wish the darn thing came with spare tire... AND white AEs.

So, in short:

Pothole -
Blown Tire -
BMW Assist -
Dad -
Wheel and Tire Ins -
Prestige BMW -
Attached Images

2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

Did your rim get damaged at all?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
electronspeeder
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 BMW M3

Wow that's a big blowout. Good thing you were able to keep it on the road safely. Props to BMW assist, I always wondered if I should continue it when it runs out.

Oh, and Go Blue!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@702 View Post
Did your rim get damaged at all?
Yeah, the wheel has a scratch. It's right by the hole on the tire(the picture is pretty crappy). I've curbed this wheel before so, it doesn't hurt that badly. I'll get it touched up one day.

The SA didn't mention anything about cracks or anything, so I think I'm okay there. He did mention something about getting alignment done. I told him, if it was necessary I'll have it done at a friend's place as it's not covered under the tire and wheel warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronspeeder View Post
Wow that's a big blowout. Good thing you were able to keep it on the road safely. Props to BMW assist, I always wondered if I should continue it when it runs out.

Oh, and Go Blue!
Yeah, it's something to think about. I mean, some insurances have their own form of roadside assistance(Allstate does) or there's always the AAA membership. I think it's wise to carry some sort of 24 hour support when owning this car, or any car for that matter that uses low profile tires.

Go Blue! I hope we can win a few games in the B1G. I feel like we are going backwards. Sigh.
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Ouch, glad your ok and all was fixed.....

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLSVTM3 View Post
Ouch, glad your ok and all was fixed.....
Thanks man. It was a long night. I was so tired when it happened. I'm just glad it's back on its feet, I mean wheels.

Oh btw, how do you like the Lux AEs? Do they go yellow when the headlight turns on? I have the thunders and they require coding to stay the same color. And they just don't seem bright enough. I guess you get what you pay for. I'd like to get the Lux's soon, but they are always OOS.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqsmooth View Post
Thanks man. It was a long night. I was so tired when it happened. I'm just glad it's back on its feet, I mean wheels.

Oh btw, how do you like the Lux AEs? Do they go yellow when the headlight turns on? I have the thunders and they require coding to stay the same color. And they just don't seem bright enough. I guess you get what you pay for. I'd like to get the Lux's soon, but they are always OOS.
I love mine. They are the bright white all the time.... Install was a pain cause I dont have the smallest hands but once I got them in, plugged it in with OEM wiring and thats it.... I really love them....

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLSVTM3 View Post
I love mine. They are the bright white all the time.... Install was a pain cause I dont have the smallest hands but once I got them in, plugged it in with OEM wiring and thats it.... I really love them....
Appreciate the feedback. I guess it's a go. I think I jacked my own thread. hahaha
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback. I guess it's a go. I think I jacked my own thread. hahaha
Roads blow here...I've bubbled two tires hitting similar massive holes on the highway...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
Jason sorry to hear about your mishap, but glad to hear that you and your ride made it out safe. I hate NY/NJ roads with a passion. Glad to hear that T/R insurance had paid off once again. On the angel eyes, I too got the lux and they have been awsome. They are very worth the price and completely change the look of the cars front end, but be forewarned they are a pain to get installed.
Be safe bro...
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Fawk!! Glad it all turned out ok.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmdreamer View Post
Roads blow here...I've bubbled two tires hitting similar massive holes on the highway...
I hear you man. Like someone described, it's a mine field. Jersey is less so than NYC/Queens area but nevertheless, they are horrible. Do you "feel" anything because of the bubble? I should check my wheels and tires more often, just in case. The roads are horrible, but can't stop us from enjoying this monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
Jason sorry to hear about your mishap, but glad to hear that you and your ride made it out safe. I hate NY/NJ roads with a passion. Glad to hear that T/R insurance had paid off once again. On the angel eyes, I too got the lux and they have been awsome. They are very worth the price and completely change the look of the cars front end, but be forewarned they are a pain to get installed.
Be safe bro...
Thanks man! I still owe you for the heads up on the T/W insurance. It's a shi**y feeling though when you hit that pothole and you know what follows after that. I'm just glad that I have my car back in my garage.

I can't wait to get the Lux's now. I read all the threads about which AEs are the best and what not, and I still couldn't decide. Well, I think I've waivered enough. The GP thunders were pretty easy to install, I hope they're similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
Fawk!! Glad it all turned out ok.
Thanks man! I don't wish anyone to be stranded out on the highway. It totally sucks!

Everyone, be safe out there.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

good thing you had insurance...i guess that paid for itself in no time.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #14
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
good thing you had insurance...i guess that paid for itself in no time.
I passed on everything but this and I definitely recommend it. You can negotiate it too.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #15
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

As a fellow wolverine, I'm glad to hear you are alright. That blow out must of been startling!

Im also glad to hear your car is in good hands. It's also nice to know that BMW assist took care of you. I wish you the best to many more miles in your beast.
      10-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
This makes me concerned about driving up to Vermont from NJ. Should I get a blowout or a flat, I'm SOL.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your experience, glad to see all worked out in the end.

I hit a large pothole last year in Chicago it also was around midnight ... I was lucky no blow out only rim damage resulted it was also around midnight and raining cats and dogs ...

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Glad to hear every thing worked out and only the tire needed to be replaced!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

I would have called friends to bring me a spare!

glad everything worked out for you
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Glad it all worked out OP. But at 14K all 4 tires had good tread life? Were all those miles on the same set? At 14K mine needed to be replaced. Granted I do almost zero highway miles and those 14K miles included 4 dry track days and 2 wet, but I'm surprised they didn't at least replace the other tire on the same axle.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #21
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw2331 View Post
As a fellow wolverine, I'm glad to hear you are alright. That blow out must of been startling!

Im also glad to hear your car is in good hands. It's also nice to know that BMW assist took care of you. I wish you the best to many more miles in your beast.
Thanks man. Yeah, I feel good knowing that there are people behind the scene working hard to help BMW customers in trouble. I'm still gonna get out there and tear up the roads. Can't keep the beast down! Go Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
This makes me concerned about driving up to Vermont from NJ. Should I get a blowout or a flat, I'm SOL.
Nah man. I think it was just bad luck. You'll be fine. I'd love to take a trip up to Vermont one day. It must be scenic at this time of the year. I love the fall. Have a good trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience, glad to see all worked out in the end.

I hit a large pothole last year in Chicago it also was around midnight ... I was lucky no blow out only rim damage resulted it was also around midnight and raining cats and dogs ...
Thanks Rolf-Dieter! Sorry you had to deal with a cracked wheel. Hope you made it out ok. It's not the wheel hanging on your garage wall, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Glad to hear every thing worked out and only the tire needed to be replaced!
Thanks man. I'm assuming the wheel is fine. The SA didn't say if there was any damage to the wheel, other than the cosmetics. The car is driving beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkap View Post
I would have called friends to bring me a spare!

glad everything worked out for you
Thanks man. I had a hard time calling my dad let alone a friend. M3 drivers don't have friends, remember? haha I just don't like troubling anyone. I'm a loner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Glad it all worked out OP. But at 14K all 4 tires had good tread life? Were all those miles on the same set? At 14K mine needed to be replaced. Granted I do almost zero highway miles and those 14K miles included 4 dry track days and 2 wet, but I'm surprised they didn't at least replace the other tire on the same axle.
Yep, they are the original Continentals that came with the car when delivered. I don't track the car, so I'm thinking I just don't drive it hard enough. I wish I had the balls to oversteer on to the on-ramps. j/k I'd like to go to the M driving school then maybe take my car to the track. Then, I'll see what this beast can really do.

I do feel like the rears are wearing out faster than the fronts. I'm gonna replace them with the Michelins when the time comes. I gotta see for myself if they're that different.
Appreciate 0