BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
IPvFletch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Charger SRT8

Thumbs up About to pull the trigger on a used E92...

Hey folks, I'm a n00b here... I'm just coming off about a 5-year ownership of my Charger SRT8. Trust me, this is the LONGEST I've ever owned a vehicle.

Anyways, since Sept 2010 I heard about the new 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and finally the time has come for it to be released. HOWEVER, we just got word that the MSRP is about $10K North of what everyone had expected. So most of the folks who have already placed orders (myself included), are now pulling out. Well, I'm giving my dealer until Monday to show me what Invoice pricing and the Employee Discount will get me, but there's a 90% chance I will have to pass on the Jeep. I just don't feel comfortable spending $62K on a fully loaded Jeep (again that's MSRP). I feel like Jeep/SRT is GOUGING me at that price, therefore I am going to gouge them back and get a BMW just to piss them off!

Anyways, my target price is/was around $48K + tax/title/license... So I've been scouring the net over the past 24 hours or so now in search of a good plan B in case I have to pass on this Jeep. I've discovered the E92 M3 Coupe and I think that is the one. I found a bunch fo under $50K with < 30K miles, fully loaded. It seems like a steal at that price!! I really like the sleek look of the E92 and want to get the 2-door version as it looks more sporty and the taillights really blend with the body lines.

I do plan to mod/tune this and I'm wondering what kind of gains we can get from the S65B40 engine. Is it pretty use to go the FI route on these, or is it better to go NA??

Otherwise, I don't really have any other questions... I see some with the CF roof, I think that is what I would prefer (vs. a heavy sunroof that I will never use) - I know I want to get either JB or AW or IB, of course depending on which ones I find for the right price/mileage...

ps. I just spent the better part of 30 mins picking which BMW/M3 forum to join and it seems like the *post.com is the way to go (this forum). It has a TON of sub/sister sites (e.g. E90post.com) and also has more members, posts, and seems WAY more active than the others. I also really liked the stickies at the top. That tells me we have GOOD moderators!! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by IPvFletch; 07-16-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Un_limited
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPvFletch View Post
Hey folks, I'm a n00b here... I'm just coming off about a 5-year ownership of my Charger SRT8. Trust me, this is the LONGEST I've ever owned a vehicle.

Anyways, since Sept 2010 I heard about the new 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and finally the time has come for it to be released. HOWEVER, we just got word that the MSRP is about $10K North of what everyone had expected. So most of the folks who have already placed orders (myself included), are now pulling out. Well, I'm giving my dealer until Monday to show me what Invoice pricing and the Employee Discount will get me, but there's a 90% chance I will have to pass on the Jeep. I just don't feel comfortable spending $62K on a fully loaded Jeep (again that's MSRP). I feel like Jeep/SRT is GOUGING me at that price, therefore I am going to gouge them back and get a BMW just to piss them off!

Anyways, my target price is/was around $48K + tax/title/license... So I've been scouring the net over the past 24 hours or so now in search of a good plan B in case I have to pass on this Jeep. I've discovered the E92 M3 Coupe and I think that is the one. I found a bunch fo under $50K with < 30K miles, fully loaded. It seems like a steal at that price!! I really like the sleek look of the E92 and want to get the 2-door version as it looks more sporty and the taillights really blend with the body lines.

I do plan to mod/tune this and I'm wondering what kind of gains we can get from the S65B40 engine. Is it pretty use to go the FI route on these, or is it better to go NA??

Otherwise, I don't really have any other questions... I see some with the CF roof, I think that is what I would prefer (vs. a heavy sunroof that I will never use) - I know I want to get either JB or AW or IB, of course depending on which ones I find for the right price/mileage...

ps. I just spent the better part of 30 mins picking which BMW/M3 forum to join and it seems like the *post.com is the way to go (this forum). It has a TON of sub/sister sites (e.g. E90post.com) and also has more members, posts, and seems WAY more active than the others. I also really liked the stickies at the top. That tells me we have GOOD moderators!! Thanks in advance!
welcome buddy! to answer some of your questions dont go with the FI. even tho they are great cars, ive had alot of problems with my 335 and its been in service too many times. long story short, with all the complaints and going back and forth, i made bmw buy back my car. so now im ordered a new m3 ( almost here) and i heard they are very reliable and will live for a while if taken care of correctly! and lets not forget its an m3! its an amazing vehicle and is great in every aspect.

one suggestion tho if you go with an m3, is to buy one that has still has a good amount of warranty years left, if the warranty is about to expire make sure you can buy the extended warranty. i cant tell you how reliable that warranty is. bmw has the best warranty! if your not that skillful in repairing your car yourself, a warranty is a must in my opinion!

again welcome! and good luck on your purchase!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
IPvFletch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Un_limited, I am somewhat handy around cars but I would buy an extended warranty as I know BMW parts are not exactly cheap! One thing I do like however is the HUUUGE aftermarket community for these rides. That is part of the attraction to it right there!

I think I've finalized my decision to a Black E92 at this point. I'm looking for one loaded under $50K. I am pretty sure I want the 6MT because I think the DCT is like a tiptronic automagic shifter and I want a manual FOR SURE. I've got a few in my sights but I need to wait a few days on this Jeep fiasco and let my blood stop boiling before I go pulling the trigger. I'd love nothing more than to get the Jeep after a year of waiting and wishing only for that vehicle, so this is like a total whirlwind 180 I'm in the middle of. I just know either way when it's over even if I go plan B and get the M3, I will be VERY happy!

Any more feedback or advice when looking for this is most welcomed!!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Have you driven an M3 before?...if you have, doubt you would be asking this question......now if your just looking for straightline speed or torque, then a Z06 would prob be the way to go...but for overall pkg, M3 tough to beat.

Yes a used one for sub 50K is alot of car for the money...this car isnt a torque monster but is well balanced and easy to drive...and with DCT lightening fast shifts.

1. check carfax(but not reliable)...get service history and make sure no paint work...get PPI from dealer...check DME for over-rev's and etc.

2. get low mile car with some warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
IPvFletch
Enlisted Member
Rep

That's a good point about the M3 being beat on moreso than an M5. I saw a 2006 M5 for like $45K but in the end I don't want another big boat. I have a full-size sedan (Charger SRT8) right now. I wouldn't mind if it's not a torque monster, neither is my Charger (for it's size/weight). The Jeep of course would be, so I'm looking forward to that but it might not work out so the M3 is plan B for SURE!

As for the Z06, etc, of course those are/were/have been on my list since before I got the Charger in 2006. I got the Charger thought because I have a 7-yr old (now) and we need a somewhat realistic family car. A Z06 or a Carrera won't cut it unfortunately (I've tried but the wife says no, not until she's about 16 or 18 and has a car of her own at least).

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

I agree with what has been said here. Get the M3, low miles, extended warranty. If need be, sacrifice on a option or two, in exchange for less miles.

As for gains, a good tune and drop in filter/scoops can get you /- 30 whp. You can probably get close to that with a catless xpipe or better yet a full exhaust. Tune filter exhaust= hold on tight.

Good luck.
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
IPvFletch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow that is an easy 30hp indeed, WOW!! Ok this is making me feel better thanks!!

The M3 certainly sounds like it will be more of a dream to drive than any Jeep SUV could, it's just the allure of the Jeep (and the raw HP/TQ) that make it so appealing. Oh well, I'm so on the fence at this point I might flip a coin. Of course the Jeep pricing still needs to be flushed out and could swing it either way to further help me decide once and for all which my next vehicle would be. If only I could get a 6MT in the Jeep!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Make sure you drive one (obviously) before you pull the trigger or even think about one too seriously. If you're looking for the raw torque of the Jeep you may be disappointed with the M3. The first time I drove one I was very surprised with how little torque it had off idle even compared to the older E46 M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
IPvFletch
Enlisted Member
Rep

I was going to say I've driven an E46, so you're saying LESS in-the-back-of-your-seat TQ off the line?? Hopefully it improves, but I'm guessing not FI-like??? Sounds kind of depressing. It ought to be faster than the E46, no?? And with a stage 1/2 tuning it sounds like we can get 50HP including catback, intake, etc.. That ought to give it a nice bump to TQ too??

If I get the M3 I'm obviously going to get it because it will be more exhilarating to drive (I'm assuming) than the Jeep. I don't really NEED an SUV let alone for off-road use, but it certainly appeals to me given I live in hill country and am surrounded by dirt roads just about.

We went to test drive one today, btw, but that is why the wife kind of talked me back into the Jeep (basically gave me the verbal OK to pay as much as they want). I'm just not sure I WANT to now! Was kind of looking forward to the M3, ya know? (she is/was too btw).

Thanks for the good feedback guys, be safe out there, and keep it shiny side up!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
W Cole
Major
Rep

Quote:
I was going to say I've driven an E46, so you're saying LESS in-the-back-of-your-seat TQ off the line?? Hopefully it improves, but I'm guessing not FI-like??? Sounds kind of depressing. It ought to be faster than the E46, no?? And with a stage 1/2 tuning it sounds like we can get 50HP including catback, intake, etc.. That ought to give it a nice bump to TQ too??

If I get the M3 I'm obviously going to get it because it will be more exhilarating to drive (I'm assuming) than the Jeep. I don't really NEED an SUV let alone for off-road use, but it certainly appeals to me given I live in hill country and am surrounded by dirt roads just about.

We went to test drive one today, btw, but that is why the wife kind of talked me back into the Jeep (basically gave me the verbal OK to pay as much as they want). I'm just not sure I WANT to now! Was kind of looking forward to the M3, ya know? (she is/was too btw).

Thanks for the good feedback guys, be safe out there, and keep it shiny side up!
Definitely felt like less torque off the line than the E46 M3, the E9X is faster though. Maybe I am biased because I was expecting more torque from the V8 vs I6. My buddy got rid of his C6 Corvette and bought a brand new M3 without as much as a test drive. Lets just say he was a bit surprised once the 1000 mile break-in period was up. A lot of the dealers won't let you to drive the new cars hard (understandable) but before you purchase you need to go out and drive one hard to make sure its something you're interested in.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
IPvFletch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well you would think being a V8 it would have the FI V6 beat at the low-end BUT being only a 4.0L it isn't exactly a very beefy V8, so that explains it. It is good to hear he went from a C6 to an E9X and was impressed. The C6 really does haul (vs. the C5 which I had previously been in love with the Z06 version of)...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
W Cole
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well you would think being a V8 it would have the FI V6 beat at the low-end BUT being only a 4.0L it isn't exactly a very beefy V8, so that explains it. It is good to hear he went from a C6 to an E9X and was impressed. The C6 really does haul (vs. the C5 which I had previously been in love with the Z06 version of)...
Maybe I should edit my post. He was unpleasantly surprised once the break-in period was up and he drove the car hard for the first time due to the lack of torque. His fav thing to do is gun the car around 4-5k RPM and complain that it doesn't accelerate. He says the M3 is a much easier to drive car than the Corvette at the limit and I, having driven both, agree. Handling is better but overall streetability of the powerplant pales in comparison to the vette.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

Saw the new GC SRT on the road a few hours ago. Much different than the previous. Its much more refined and mature looking. If you didnt know what it was, it would just blend in with the other cars on the road. It did look great, but its grown up.

Get the M3. Best all around car on the road. The M5's have mega issues with the SMG, just go to m5board and see for yourself.

good luck.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
IPvFletch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
Saw the new GC SRT on the road a few hours ago. Much different than the previous. Its much more refined and mature looking. If you didnt know what it was, it would just blend in with the other cars on the road. It did look great, but its grown up.

Get the M3. Best all around car on the road. The M5's have mega issues with the SMG, just go to m5board and see for yourself.

good luck.
Wouldn't ever get SMG, heard the M3 ditched it after some time too, I'm sure for good reason.

The new Jeep is something in a world of it's own that's for sure. It's a sleeper no doubt, and that is one of the reasons I wanted it. The M3 is a sleeper too I guess, since a) I see a million BMWs daily and b) I see a ton of Ms daily too. So it blends in, and for some people that can be a good thing. I'm in that stage of my life right now, I want to blend in. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb until I turn 50 and get a red Ferrari!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #15
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Hate to say it but have you looked at used C63's? With the C63 you would get a practical family car that isn't as big/boaty as your Challenger but has the torque you won't find in an M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #16
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

1 might suit ur situation better

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
Hate to say it but have you looked at used C63's? With the C63 you would get a practical family car that isn't as big/boaty as your Challenger but has the torque you won't find in an M3.
      07-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #17
IPvFletch
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have seen the C63 and also CL63 (albeit quite different than the C63). Neither appeal to me. I'm not really an MB type of guy, but thanks for the idea.

Last edited by IPvFletch; 07-17-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0