BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Anyone feel like the S65 has ruined them?

as a car enthusiast not car brand enthusiast. i always think about what cars i would love to own and also cars i might be able to afford after my current car. while i love my M3 and will have it for years to come. thinking ahead i feel there is only a limited amount of cars that can really replace my M3.

i do not go for cars that give me the most power or performance for the money. i quite frankly could care less about what time it does around the ring. its when I drive it and how it makes me feel is where i place my purchase. thats a trait i feel to many people these days lack in.

the S65 with its sounds and high revving nature. hits me a certain way, makes me feel like i am driving something special. sure a nice V12 Ferrari would do the trick for next engine, but lets be honest. i feel like anything that revs below 8k RPM is not for me even something like a GTR seems soulless to me.

its not going to be hard to find a car that out performs a E92 m3. but one that gives me that feeling is another thing. really only two cars come to mind. a RS5 and GT3. the RS5 inst really a upgrade though and the GT3 is hella expensive. although i think the GT3 would be my best bet. good sounding engine, revs past 8k RPM, looks and performance very well.

my overall message is that the S65 has really put me in a hard spot when looking at another cars.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
fbm3cab
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Yeah, I know the feeling, your not alone.
While I waiting four months for my Individual M3 I entertained many other cars, some that would have cost more and even at twice the price I just wasn't feeling it, I only wanted the S65 M3. Price wasn't the issue for me on this purchase.

I know it sounds crazy but there wasn't any other car I was interested in.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Coupe

Know exactly what you mean. The sound, drive and handing all combine to produce an overall experience that is tough to equal. Sure you can spend more but no other car has evoked the thrill I feel every time I sit down in the M3 and start the engine. As I peer out over the hood hump (which I love) I can't imagine driving anything else at the moment. As BMW and other makers grapple with government requirements, economic realities and "go green" initiatives the future probability of producing anything close to the M3/S65 combo seems remote. Enjoy it for as long as you can.
      11-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Like the E46 before it, the E92 M3 is an incredible package for the price. The only cars that I'd currently consider in its place cost significantly more:
  • 997 911 GT3/RS
  • 991 911 GT3/RS
  • 430 Scuderia
  • 458 Italia
  • R8 V8/V10

The 997.1 GT3 RS is the first choice on my list. Barring the lack of rear seats, that's another "perfect package" - high-revving, great sound, excellent handling, aesthetically pleasing, reliable, reasonable fuel efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

What about the boxster/cayman s? That has a special feeling as well - and closer in price to the m3.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Spoiled.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

replacing the e9x m3 with a similar, but better experience will be hard to do without going significantly upmarket. however, as a car enthusiast, there are many other experiences that are different, but also very satisfying.

I'm particularly interested in the Alfa 4C - light, mid engine, italian.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

2011, 2012 GTR's are becoming pretty affordable, also trust me when the M4 hits people are going to love um.
      11-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: r53 s65e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
my overall message is that the S65 has really put me in a hard spot when looking at another cars.
Same sentiment here. Upgrading to a package that is sufficiently better than the E9X M3 can really be done with a lot more money than the E9X M3 cost new.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious
replacing the e9x m3 with a similar, but better experience will be hard to do without going significantly upmarket. however, as a car enthusiast, there are many other experiences that are different, but also very satisfying.

I'm particularly interested in the Alfa 4C - light, mid engine, italian.
I look forward to having a lighter, more raw car one day in the future (maybe Elise/Exige or even Caterham), but at this stage in my life, I honestly can't think of another car on the road that I'd rather have.

Hoping to take mine to 200k+, and even then, I might just replace her with a 2011 ZCP...

#OneCarToDoItAll
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
I look forward to having a lighter, more raw car one day in the future (maybe Elise/Exige or even Caterham), but at this stage in my life, I honestly can't think of another car on the road that I'd rather have.

Hoping to take mine to 200k+, and even then, I might just replace her with a 2011 ZCP...

#OneCarToDoItAll
Yup - try having the e90! This is my one and only family car w/ a baby seat in the back...only upgrade for me is to go to the next m3...or wait til I move into the burbs then get a 2nd car...then go to some other sports car.

I will say having fully murdered out car and then a flowery box of kleenex in the rear windshield might be affecting my street cred.
[08 e90 M3. Jet Black/Black. Dinan Rear Exhaust. ACM Test Pipes. ESS Tune. Eibach Pro-Kit + e36 bumpstops. 18x10 Apex Arc-8. AA Air Filter. RPI Scoops. CREE Angel Eyes. OEM Blacklines. Black Reflectors. Gloss Black Grills. Matte Black Gills. ZCP Shift Knob]
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmdreamer
Quote:

#OneCarToDoItAll
Yup - try having the e90! This is my one and only family car w/ a baby seat in the back...only upgrade for me is to go to the next m3...or wait til I move into the burbs then get a 2nd car...then go to some other sports car.

I will say having fully murdered out car and then a flowery box of kleenex in the rear windshield might be affecting my street cred.
Ha!

That's what I've got. My kids are 7, 5 and 10 months and the whole family can fit, even if it's tight.

And I bet the Carrera 4S loved getting passed on the track by a "family sedan".
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

I hear that, my kids love the m3! When my wife sees my kids begging for me to take my car somewhere, I pretty much have carte blanche in terms of modding, tracking, puttering around with it etc.

I recently did this higher speed auto-x event with where I drove a Ferarri F430 and Lambo Gallardo, while those cars are definitely in a league of their own speed and performance wise, made me realize that the M3 in terms of noise, experience, and fun to drive factor isn't too far off and when you can fit 5 people in there, makes it the ultimate driving and family car machine!

Quote:
Ha!

That's what I've got. My kids are 7, 5 and 10 months and the whole family can fit, even if it's tight.

And I bet the Carrera 4S loved getting passed on the track by a "family sedan".
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

A nice new stingray could do the trick even if it doesn't rev up to 8300
      11-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashoutposse View Post
Like the E46 before it, the E92 M3 is an incredible package for the price. The only cars that I'd currently consider in its place cost significantly more:
  • 997 911 GT3/RS
  • 991 911 GT3/RS
  • 430 Scuderia
  • 458 Italia
  • R8 V8/V10

The 997.1 GT3 RS is the first choice on my list. Barring the lack of rear seats, that's another "perfect package" - high-revving, great sound, excellent handling, aesthetically pleasing, reliable, reasonable fuel efficiency.
If this^ is your realistic list, well you shouldn't ever have had an M3 as good as they are, it doesnt compare to anything on that list, although a GTR cost less and probably can out perform every car on that list with minimal modes, or stock.
      11-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm3cab View Post
Yeah, I know the feeling, your not alone.
While I waiting four months for my Individual M3 I entertained many other cars, some that would have cost more and even at twice the price I just wasn't feeling it, I only wanted the S65 M3. Price wasn't the issue for me on this purchase.

I know it sounds crazy but there wasn't any other car I was interested in.
To me, you don't seem crazy in the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Poor View Post
Know exactly what you mean. The sound, drive and handing all combine to produce an overall experience that is tough to equal. Sure you can spend more but no other car has evoked the thrill I feel every time I sit down in the M3 and start the engine. As I peer out over the hood hump (which I love) I can't imagine driving anything else at the moment. As BMW and other makers grapple with government requirements, economic realities and "go green" initiatives the future probability of producing anything close to the M3/S65 combo seems remote. Enjoy it for as long as you can.
Another one that understands.

Oh sure, in time there will be other cars purchased, but this E92 M3 won't be sacrificed to make room for something else rather that something else will be joining it a great risk of itself being kicked out later on for yet another "something else" as it fails to live up to "keeper" status. These E9xM3's are the last of an exceptional breed. To some of us, the performance benchmarks of its successor or other models are mostly irrelevant. Successor models and other make-model cars of the new era of FI will have to earn admiration and respect on an entirely different basis as numbers alone will not suffice to generate interest from all. In the meantime, there's time to await developments as the S65 is an engine that portends to be plenty athletic and healthy to hang around for a long time, and that means there is time for whomever and whatever to refine the new breed that can only hope to be so good as to make all moderate their feelings of appreciation, if not outright love, for the epic naturally aspirated high performance era cars.

Last edited by Eau Rouge; 12-01-2013 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #17
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

As Eau Rouge just said, plan to keep the M3 and only add to the collection.

I have the same feelings about my E39 M5 and the S62 torque monster. It doesn't match the M3 experience, but it exists in an alternate realm. Even with all the suspension mods I've done on the M5 it of course isn't M3 nimble, but that isn't the point.

The S62 and S65 V8s represent (to me) the peak of BMW engineering (special emphasis on "engine" ) that will set a high water mark for many years to come. The driving experience of the two is significantly different but just as scintillating in those different realms...I rarely drive the M5 but just took it out last night and the S62 with the Evolve tune, Dinan exhaust is just a beast...much harder to put power down than the S65 in 1st and 2nd gears but then of course one misses that incredible pull and wail from 6500-8400 of the S65 on the other end. You definitely notice the 400+ extra lbs the M5 carries, but these are two different target market cars.

If I had to chose to sell one of them, sadly the M5 would go, but I have no plans for that. I plan to keep both of these for a very long time (have had the M5 now for 10 years)...coming up on 40 years of driving soon and an even longer obsession with BMW engineering. You know, the old dude who shows up at an event. I'm not your "typical" M3 owner I suppose.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8

Last edited by CSBM5; 12-01-2013 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: reference correction
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #18
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
If this^ is your realistic list, well you shouldn't ever have had an M3 as good as they are, it doesnt compare to anything on that list, although a GTR cost less and probably can out perform every car on that list with minimal modes, or stock.
There are plenty of cars that will outperform the E92 M. I've found that there are at least one of the two following (completely subjective) issues with practically all of cars that aren't on my list:

1) They don't engender the same "connection." They are just cars.

2) Regarding the value proposition of the entire package, the returns are significantly diminished.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

I don't think you wanted to phrase your thread title like you have. IT seems you meant spoiled, not ruined as in financial ruin.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
I don't think you wanted to phrase your thread title like you have. IT seems you meant spoiled, not ruined as in financial ruin.
if you look up spoiled and ruined by definition they are quite similar.

the term ruined is just very popular when talking about financials. spoiled may have been a better word to use, but ruin can still work if explained in the right way.

i am using ruined in a way where my thoughts about cars have dramatically changed. i no longer see the beauty as i once did with different kinds of engines.

if someone is spoiled there personality can be ruined (bad apple).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
I had to take a few step shack after the S65
I have a S14 now, which I still love
Very simple, and lively engine

I fear a lot of the newer engines won't tickle our fancy anymore
Shame really

I'd still love a s65 in my e30 m3
      12-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

why not possibly an M4? add in a tune, downpipes, a new intake and you will be set, even though it doesn't have that beautiful V8