BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-19-2016, 11:30 PM   #45
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3; 2012 E88 135i

+1 to DCT as well for sure.
And really depends on what you prefer as members here stated. both have their advantages.

But I reckon DCT you get best of both worlds.
If a weekend car only then MT can be an option...But for a daily, changing gears in traffic day in and day out is a no no for me...maybe if i was in my twenties I'd go MT but too much work at my age.

Easy everyday cruising and then if you want it can go manual paddle shift...beats any manual transmission out there.. Even better once you get a DCT tune.! DCT's in these M3's are so good I don't miss a MT one bit..
      09-20-2016, 12:42 AM   #46
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Might be an old thread revival but it is still a relevant discussion. Tuned DCT all the way for me and this is coming from someone who had always driven manuals since day one, including 6 previous BMW's. I'm never looking back and am a huge fan of its many different personalities - from comfy full auto to track mode paddle shifting.
Appreciate 2
dean8766.00
koastal375.50
      09-20-2016, 01:59 AM   #47
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH
Might be an old thread revival but it is still a relevant discussion. Tuned DCT all the way for me and this is coming from someone who had always driven manuals since day one, including 6 previous BMW's. I'm never looking back and am a huge fan of its many different personalities - from comfy full auto to track mode paddle shifting.
+1
Why have only one option eh? Sometimes it's more fun doing it both ways...
Appreciate 1
JJH543.50
      09-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #48
kevin.tan007
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Previous post said ///M cars are not logical purchases... It's for the driving pleasure... Nothing is more pleasurable than heel and toe 3rd to 2nd with perfect rev match... That's g rated anyway! 6mt all the way.
If you can't be bothered to change gears go get a corolla.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #49
brownb_2
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.tan007
Previous post said ///M cars are not logical purchases... It's for the driving pleasure... Nothing is more pleasurable than heel and toe 3rd to 2nd with perfect rev match... That's g rated anyway! 6mt all the way.
If you can't be bothered to change gears go get a corolla.
But the majority of corollas are manual
Appreciate 1
dean8766.00
      09-21-2016, 12:32 AM   #50
Ingenio
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Grey E92 M3 (6MT)

And have strong windscreens!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 03:15 AM   #51
brownb_2
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenio
And have strong windscreens!
Damnit I should buy one, probably faster during the first 2000km anyway!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 04:29 AM   #52
American Dave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
self driving electric cars are coming and that's why I bought the last of the V8 manuals. If you have to ask why....
Jerez Black 2008 6MT with Borla Atak Exhaust/ M3 World X Pipe and Test Pipes/ aFe Pro Stage 2 Intake / 19" Advan DZ-DF Forged Wheels wrapped in ContiSport Contact 5P 245/35/19 Fronts & 285/30/19 Rears/ KW Var 3 Coilovers / BPM Sports Stage 2 Tuned/ VAC Rod Bearing Replacement / Throttle Body Actuator Gear Set
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 04:42 AM   #53
kevin.tan007
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownb_2 View Post
But the majority of corollas are manual
The only time I drive a corolla is from no birds car rental and they are all auto...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #54
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Still manual for me.
I've had two DCT cars (135i and current E90 M3), while they are good the fact they are ultimately controlled by a computer can be annoying.
Luckily I also have a e36 M3 for my manual fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #55
hikmet
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

TL; DR; - Get a manual if it is not a DD.

i have been driving manual M3s for the last 12 years or so, both e36 (sold long ago) and e46 as DD. Then I recently purchased an e90 m3 DCT and have ECU + DCT tunes from Evolve with a modified OEM exhaust. I drive both now (e46 still as DD) but I plan to lease an EV for carpool privilege (and sell the E46), so the e90 still won't be a DD. and I don't track my car. Here are my 2 cents.

One thing I love about DCT (other than fast shifts) is the downshift blips; it is music to ears but that is pretty much it.

If you really enjoy manual sports cars, you will find some sadness after buying the DCT, especially if it is not your DD. After a while it will get boring.

Also one downside to shifter paddles is (for me), I get tired driving the car after a while because my hands need to stay on the steering wheel at almost 9:15 position. Maybe I should check if there are longer paddles that I can hold my hand a little higher than where they are so gravity does not work on hands too much
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #56
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikmet View Post
Also one downside to shifter paddles is (for me), I get tired driving the car after a while because my hands need to stay on the steering wheel at almost 9:15 position. Maybe I should check if there are longer paddles that I can hold my hand a little higher than where they are so gravity does not work on hands too much
You can also use the shifter on the center console .
      12-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #57
M3CRZY
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josparky View Post
+1 to DCT as well for sure.
And really depends on what you prefer as members here stated. both have their advantages.

But I reckon DCT you get best of both worlds.
If a weekend car only then MT can be an option...But for a daily, changing gears in traffic day in and day out is a no no for me...maybe if i was in my twenties I'd go MT but too much work at my age.

Easy everyday cruising and then if you want it can go manual paddle shift...beats any manual transmission out there.. Even better once you get a DCT tune.! DCT's in these M3's are so good I don't miss a MT one bit..
I am a new M3 E92 owner 3 days now !! and it has a DCT in it . I was tossing between Manual and DCT , having test driven both , I have always had manuals in any V8 cars that I have owned and was going to get another manual , but someone on this site said go the DCT you won't regret it , I think it was Dave ,anyway that just tipped in the DCT direction . I thought I would give it a go and in my opinion the DCT is the only way to go . There are so many adjustments for it . I think my DCT may have a tune in it , I will have to find out when I ring one of the previous owners in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #58
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Driven both.

The driving experience between them is arguable, but you don't get the most out of the car without it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #59
Rocket_Rod
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 & M2 F87

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CRZY View Post
I am a new M3 E92 owner 3 days now !! and it has a DCT in it . I was tossing between Manual and DCT , having test driven both , I have always had manuals in any V8 cars that I have owned and was going to get another manual , but someone on this site said go the DCT you won't regret it , I think it was Dave ,anyway that just tipped in the DCT direction . I thought I would give it a go and in my opinion the DCT is the only way to go . There are so many adjustments for it . I think my DCT may have a tune in it , I will have to find out when I ring one of the previous owners in the next few days.
Your first rookie mistake! Listening to DaveDee!

Horses for Courses.
At the end of the day, the engine and driving dynamics is what makes our cars so awesome.

If you want the car to change gears for you, then who am I to tell you you are wrong. Personally, I want the maximum out of the driving experience, even if I'm driving to the shops or to work. I love driving. Its a passion and why I drive an M car and not a Camry.

So like a passionate photographer would never select Auto on his Digital SLR because he wants to control the whole event of taking the picture, I too want to be in total control of every aspect of the drive. Which is why I drive without TC and with a 6spd manual.

There is no right or wrong answer.

Just drive your car how it was meant and engineered to.
This can only be done safely on a closed track.
This is why you never saw the boys from Top Gear testing cars by driving them to the multi-story carpark and photographing them.... The track is where our type of cars were tested. They used The Stig and not Steve Mccurry to test the car....

Appreciate 2
      12-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #60
CooLeh7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Rod View Post

Horses for Courses.
At the end of the day, the engine and driving dynamics is what makes our cars so awesome.

If you want the car to change gears for you, then who am I to tell you you are wrong. Personally, I want the maximum out of the driving experience, even if I'm driving to the shops or to work. I love driving. Its a passion and why I drive an M car and not a Camry.

So like a passionate photographer would never select Auto on his Digital SLR because he wants to control the whole event of taking the picture, I too want to be in total control of every aspect of the drive. Which is why I drive without TC and with a 6spd manual.

This is why you never saw the boys from Top Gear testing cars by driving them to the multi-story carpark and photographing them.... The track is where our type of cars were tested. They used The Stig and not Steve Mccurry to test the car....

I am with you Rod
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #61
M3CRZY
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Rod View Post

Horses for Courses.

I always make mistakes , that will never change
in an ideal world , get both when they come down in price in say 5 years or so , 1 Manual 1 DCT Perfect
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #62
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

I feel as though you simply cannot go wrong either way!

Prior to purchasing my M3, I was dead set on a 6MT.

However, after having owned my 6MT for the past 4 months and driven multiple DCT flavored M3's (some with aftermarket DCT tunes from BPM and the like, some without), I have to say that I really wouldn't mind owning a DCT in the slightest. It's worth noting that for my purposes, an M3 would be relegated to being a purely street-driven daily driver. Another plus for me would be that the wife could drive the M as well; as it stands, she cannot drive a manual car, and the thought of her even trying is a scary one (she's a terribly uncoordinated driver).

I feel like if my car were to suddenly implode and I found myself shopping for a replacement, 6MT vs DCT would be a wash for me with no preference for one over the other; the rest of the car's specs, condition, history, etc. would be the determining factors in the hunt and I would be equally open to either transmission option.

Why the change of heart?

Well, in my opinion, the manual gearbox in the E9X cars are NOTHING to write home about, especially in stock form. Don't get me wrong though, I've really enjoy my 6MT since day one; it's the one and only car I've ever owned with a manual transmission, so being able to row my own gears has been a fantastic change of pace in comparison to the automatic transmissions found in the economy/utility vehicles that I was used to daily driving in the past. It may not be a masterpiece of a 6MT, but it's still a 6MT! I just think that if the 6MT in the E9X M3's were as special as the engine and a little less mediocre/whatever, it'd be more of a no-brainer option over the DCT, which just so happens to be quite superb in its own right.

I've since installed an F10 M5 shift knob and removed my clutch pedal spring; banging through the gears now feels noticeably improved over the stock configuration, but still not quite what I would describe as buttery smooth or "awesome" on any level. I currently have an Ultimate Clutch Pedal, Autosolutions SSK (27% reduction kit), and some new OEM shifter assembly parts that I have to get around to installing in hopes of further improving shifter feel; I will be sure to create a thread reflecting on how that goes/works out once the installs are complete.

Last edited by kamber; 12-08-2016 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #63
Geoff40
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E90 DCT M3

DCT +1
As my DD and for the awesome downshift blips
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 11:53 PM   #64
Rocket_Rod
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 & M2 F87

Garage List
Downshift blips can also be achieved by the right heel.....
Might be a bit ol' skool but it still works.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 03:12 AM   #65
Ingenio
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Grey E92 M3 (6MT)

Or the side of the foot!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 03:49 AM   #66
M3CRZY
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamber View Post
I feel as though you simply cannot go wrong either way!

Prior to purchasing my M3, I was dead set on a 6MT.

However, after having owned my 6MT for the past 4 months and driven multiple DCT flavored M3's (some with aftermarket DCT tunes from BPM and the like, some without), I have to say that I really wouldn't mind owning a DCT in the slightest. It's worth noting that for my purposes, an M3 would be relegated to being a purely street-driven daily driver. Another plus for me would be that the wife could drive the M as well; as it stands, she cannot drive a manual car, and the thought of her even trying is a scary one (she's a terribly uncoordinated driver).

I feel like if my car were to suddenly implode and I found myself shopping for a replacement, 6MT vs DCT would be a wash for me with no preference for one over the other; the rest of the car's specs, condition, history, etc. would be the determining factors in the hunt and I would be equally open to either transmission option.

Why the change of heart?

Well, in my opinion, the manual gearbox in the E9X cars are NOTHING to write home about, especially in stock form. Don't get me wrong though, I've really enjoy my 6MT since day one; it's the one and only car I've ever owned with a manual transmission, so being able to row my own gears has been a fantastic change of pace in comparison to the automatic transmissions found in the economy/utility vehicles that I was used to daily driving in the past. It may not be a masterpiece of a 6MT, but it's still a 6MT! I just think that if the 6MT in the E9X M3's were as special as the engine and a little less mediocre/whatever, it'd be more of a no-brainer option over the DCT, which just so happens to be quite superb in its own right.

I've since installed an F10 M5 shift knob and removed my clutch pedal spring; banging through the gears now feels noticeably improved over the stock configuration, but still not quite what I would describe as buttery smooth or "awesome" on any level. I currently have an Ultimate Clutch Pedal, Autosolutions SSK (27% reduction kit), and some new OEM shifter assembly parts that I have to get around to installing in hopes of further improving shifter feel; I will be sure to create a thread reflecting on how that goes/works out once the installs are complete.
Great post !! I agree
Appreciate 0