BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #23
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Let's see here...

- Run low on oil
- Run at very high cylinder pressures (12:1 with port fuel injection + 9psi on relatively low octane fuel )
- Possible (probable?) detonation on the dyno at high rpm
- High rpm, high-strung motor that STARTED OUT making 104hp/l and now makes over 150 and still revs to the moon...

Yeah, my car will probably blow up tomorrow because I'm saying this, but I'm thinking you got your money's worth out of that motor. I'm not worried.

As we say at the track after something bad happens:

"That's racin'!"

Nothing left to do but re-motor and make it faster!
      02-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #24
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I've read of a couple 2008 cars with bad bearings here that were not blown, but I think they had the "ticking" sound.
I also remember someone saying NOT to use Meth with this engine- it may have been Ronin.
Anyways, good luck with the rebuild. Isn't this going to run close to $20,000?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #25
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Sorry to hear about this. It really blows and I hope you get your car up and running soon.
Appreciate that.

Quote:
This ^ doesnt sound right (I'm not calling you out. Just trying to understand better)
No offense taken, but FWIW a stock car has thrown a rod.

Quote:
1) Bearings squeel (if spun) or rattle for just about everything else. They do more than tick before total failure.
Actually they can tick before they fail, or they may not tick at all.

Quote:
2) You would have a noticable temperature increase (good thing for the oil temp gauge)
Never heard of this.

Quote:
3) Was a good degree of oil burned up from the heat of the bad/spun bearing?
I'm not sure, they motor still needs to be torn down to find out more.

Quote:
4) Find out what the color of the broken connecting rod is? (bluish, from the heat?)
I do not remember seeing any bluish color.

Quote:
5) And the car never stalled or anything before the rod blew?
Nope, it ran fantastic.

Quote:
We have forged steel/magnesium connecting rods. I'm not sure they would just snap because of a bearing and I have never seen one seized to a crank.
More inspection needs to be done, but what I posted is what I know so far. Sorry I can't give you any further concrete answers right now.

Quote:
Right, but you also had 11psi and meth injection. The bearing issue really doesnt apply here.
I think it does, ask the experts, 11psi is too much for these motors, and it appears 9psi might be as well.

Quote:
Dont feel so privilaged. That's what they SHOULD do, bro. Not to mention, they know that we all know your car. It's good business for them to make good.
Actually I do, the engine is 25K new! I have had several friends who's motors have blown, some through a rod, most were not so privileged where the tuner took care of all the costs, and I'm talking about some of the most well respected tuners in the world. But I agree it is good business for them, I'm glad they are taking care of me, I am not going to get into whether they should of or not, the fact is they are.

Quote:
Once again, best of luck. (we all want to see more great videos soon with your perfectly positioned side-view window and more importantly...rear-view mirror!)
Haha, thank you, I appreciate the compliments on the vids and glad that you enjoy them!
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #26
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Baaaaa (no offense to the OP)
lol, I respect your thoughts, I'm sure many probably may feel the same way you do.

FWIW, Gintani never even questioned it, from the moment I called them to tell them what happened, they said, "We'll take care of it." As I said in my last post, in my long history as an enthusiast, modding, etc. for the most part when you add FI to your car, upgraded, etc. if something fails, the tuner normally will not cover all costs, some do nothing and some will find a way out, based on things you did to the car yourself, so I think they get it too.
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #27
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Yes, a N/A motor has blown and the owner is on the forum but his user name doesn't come to mind at the moment. He ended up rebuilding the motor to stock displacement with higher compression. Paired with his Akra evo exhaust it sounds great.

EDIT: "elmariachi" from Signapore
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433835

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Not laying any blame here.... But has there been a non-supercharged engine that has blown up yet? I know we've seen a number of SC engines that have blown, by a few different SC companies.

Perhaps it's not a very good idea to SC this engine???

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red

Last edited by DOUT; 02-23-2011 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #28
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUT View Post
Yes, a N/A motor has blown and the owner is on the forum but his user name doesn't come to mind at the moment. He ended up rebuilding the motor to stock displacement with higher compression. Paired with his Akra evo exhaust it sounds great.
so we have 1 N/A blown out of how many N/A .... and at least 4 or 5 S/C blown out of how many S/C?
      02-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #29
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Sorry to see your motor blow, hopefully it will be up and running again soon. The car is a monster!

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:
so we have 1 N/A blown out of how many N/A .... and at least 4 or 5 S/C blown out of how many S/C?
cant really group all super chargers together since tunners have different methods...

i almost 100% positive ESS has no blown motoros, and they've sold A LOT of kits.

Gpower had 3 i believe, one was tightie, the other two were mentioned somewhere on the forum. if i remember correctly it was due to a bad tune but they were able fix that.

Active has 1 but good luck finding info on that.

Gintani has this one.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #31
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
cant really group all super chargers together since tunners have different methods...

i almost 100% positive ESS has no blown motoros, and they've sold A LOT of kits.

Gpower had 3 i believe, one was tightie, the other two were mentioned somewhere on the forum. if i remember correctly it was due to a bad tune but they were able fix that.

Active has 1 but good luck finding info on that.

Gintani has this one.
Of course you can group them all together, they all have S/C. They may have blown from different reasons, but seems to be pretty obvious the S/C motors are at a much higher risk of blowing up than the N/A. Whether it's tuning or whatever they are failing much more often than the N/A
      02-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #32
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:
Of course you can group them all together, they all have S/C. They may have blown from different reasons, but seems to be pretty obvious the S/C motors are at a much higher risk of blowing up than the N/A. Whether it's tuning or whatever they are failing much more often than the N/A
whatever floats your boat i guess, i just think its important to note that ESS doesnt put as much boost as other tuners and have had no failures (to my knowledge at least).
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #33
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Please keep this thread on topic. Off-topic posts have been (and will be) removed. Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your engine Drew please keep us updated and good luck.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #34
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Sorry to hear Drew - glad to hear Gintani is getting you fixed up.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #35
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
S/C motors are at a much higher risk of blowing up than the N/A.
Where's the "duh" smilie? Just part of the game, and part of what makes modifying and/or racing cars so much fun. Most people don't have the chutzpah to mess with a car because of this phenomenon. The risks of modifying a car are very real, it's just a fact of life and I've seen too many world-class tuners blow stuff up to let anybody tell me different. Sometimes stuff breaks when it makes more power, unexpected failures happen, what once was strong enough becomes a weak link. That's why it's such a small club and it's just part of what makes it exciting.
      02-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #36
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Where's the "duh" smilie? Just part of the game, and part of what makes modifying and/or racing cars so much fun. Most people don't have the chutzpah to mess with a car because of this phenomenon. The risks of modifying a car are very real, it's just a fact of life and I've seen too many world-class tuners blow stuff up to let anybody tell me different. Sometimes stuff breaks when it makes more power, unexpected failures happen, what once was strong enough becomes a weak link. That's why it's such a small club and it's just part of what makes it exciting.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #37
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

sorry to hear the news - that really sucks. props to you for being candid and keeping the community in the loop regarding the root cause here! and of course, props to Gintani for standing behind their products.

hope you get back on the road soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #38
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
+2

To the OP, sorry to hear about your situation -- hopefully a teardown pinpoints the cause and people can learn something from it. Props to Gintani for stepping up to the plate.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #39
GreasyGinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)

Yo if Gintani really is covering the cost of all repairs that is sick. That is waaaaaay beyond what they need to do. I mean what aftermarket tuner company would warranty the motor? Without even taking into consideration your claim of oil starvation and running higher than normal boost. But I have to agree...the S65 has a high CR and it's a little suspect to me some of these boost numbers on the higher HP kits.
      02-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #40
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, when you take just one line of what I say it sounds a little over the top obvious. But it does seem like quite a few blown motors from S/C. Haven't heard of one other mod on this forum causing a blown motor. My point from the beginning is that it's starting to sound a little more and more probable that this engine isn't a great choice to start boosting with it's already high compression.
      02-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #41
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Hope everything gets worked out bro...don't let it get you down.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #42
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

One more vote that's insane to boost the S65 engine, especially to 9 and 11 psi when the bearings are known to be marginal already. Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #43
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

Quote:
Baaaaa (no offense to the OP)
I'm a ESS Fan ...

Quote:
G-Power blew their motors with a bad tune ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
whatever floats your boat i guess, i just think its important to note that ESS doesnt put as much boost as other tuners and have had no failures (to my knowledge at least).
ESS can but will not unless you lower the compression ... Yeah they're not really into running meth.

Quote:
Yes, when you take just one line of what I say it sounds a little over the top obvious. But it does seem like quite a few blown motors from S/C. Haven't heard of one other mod on this forum causing a blown motor. My point from the beginning is that it's starting to sound a little more and more probable that this engine isn't a great choice to start boosting with it's already high compression.
Other then G-Powers bad tune blow up this may just be a case of "Bad Rod Bearing"

Here are a few links ... Note that all these car are 2008 M3's

2008 AtiveAuto SC:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...hlight=rebuild

2008 SPOTIKUS:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307802

2008 ELMARIACHI:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309484

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379712
LTMW FTL . Karbonwerks LCI Trunk . Vorsteiner Poly Front Lip . NA Motorsports LUX H8 . RECARO Pole Position Seats . BMW Performance Pedals . BMW Performance Performance Grills . BMW Painted Fender Grills . BBS 19x9.5 19x11 LMs . Michelin PS2 265/295 . H&R Sport Springs . Wheel Mate 45/55MM Stud Kit . BBS Red Lug Nuts . ESS VT1 Supercharger . Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #44
DublinM3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
The S65 if run on proper boost levels is a good motor to boost. I think ESS has proven with a high volume of kits sold without any failures it is really about making sure you keep keep boost levels and tuning within reason. I think Drew would agree as he found out that anytime you make the decision to push the limits as he did you run a much higher risk of failure. High boost on this motor can lead to detonation which will take out rod bearings.

Thanks for sharing your story with everyone Drew as it will hopefully open some eyes to what the limits of this motor are and the risk involved if you decide to push them. Hopefully your car is back on the road again soon.
Appreciate 0