BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #23
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
A certified letter to BMW NA to hold them responsible and to show your intension of getting a lawyer involved. you will be surprised how fast they will get back to you. If I was you I won't take it to that dealer again
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #24
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Almost everyone drives their M3's and lets them hit 8k rpm. I doubt they have problems like this and I'm fairly sure your dealer sold it to you with some sort of advertisement of the cars high rev-line. Make sure you get all the tech data and call BMW NA. They'll sort it out for you hopefully. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #25
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Sorry to hear about ur car and what u have beeen goin through man/
First,ive had a SC on my car for the past 20K miles and ive yet to have a single problem.
Second,the Subframe in the E9X M3 is no joke,aint like the E46 M3 aqnd E36 M3 and so is the differential.
I think that u might have had something wrong with ur subframe when ur car was built and the differential just went bad cause it wasnt mounted right to the subframe,may be it was off so it wasnt spining freely.

Dont take its not covered under warranty for an answer and good luck man !!!1
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #26
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelrock View Post
Are we getting the full story?
I'm afraid not. A subframe is not going to break due to a botched shift. No way. It's pretty darn stout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
The only thing I can think of is you snapped a bolt when you experienced wheel hop 2 months ago
Now we're getting somewhere . OP, you said you have never launched (see below). How come you had wheel hop without launching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnhm3 View Post
No drag strip or launching. Only mod was a Gintani axle back which was not even on the car when it happened.
With regard with the first sentence, we understand you don't want to incriminate yourself here, but don't lie to us either man.
On the second sentence, on one instance it turned out the subframe damage happened when shop installing an exhaust forgot to tighten 2 of the 3 bolts (the ones holding the brackets where exhaust hangs) holding the differential to the subframe, and eventually snapped the 3rd. Not owner's fault directly, but even less BMW's.

Finally, my advice is to come clean about what happened (at least with BMW), since if you're caught lying, you're not going to get anywhere. Even if you had a launch or two, the car is supposed to withstand some abuse. Remember experienced technicians can pretty much tell by the way something broke how it happened, and it'd be pretty clear if it was a defect, abuse, negligence (in case the bolts were removed and not tightened properly), or if you hit something. I REALLY doubt you'd be immediately turned down for warranty if something wasn't pretty obvious to them, and without the 'full truth' from you, all our comments are useless. Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #27
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Seems very strange they wouldn't put the warranty denial in writing, based on that alone I would still take it to another dealership and see what they say.

Once it goes on your service invoice paperwork then it is part of the BMW computer service record so why not give it in writing so all other dealers would know about it?
      06-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #28
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

There have been a couple diff's here with broken bolts holding them in. Wonder if that's what started it???
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #29
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

A broken bolt holding up the diff shouldn't be enough to kill the diff though. I'm trying to figure out how the diff broke. The broken diff bolts are actually quite common, doesn't take much to snap them.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #30
m3heaven
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

I'm curious to know where and why you would have to take off a bolt holding the differential to the subframe when installing an axleback exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #31
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't remember unbolting any part of the suspension to put in my exhaust either...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #32
m3heaven
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
With regard with the first sentence, we understand you don't want to incriminate yourself here, but don't lie to us either man.
On the second sentence, on one instance it turned out the subframe damage happened when shop installing an exhaust forgot to tighten 2 of the 3 bolts (the ones holding the brackets where exhaust hangs) holding the differential to the subframe, and eventually snapped the 3rd. Not owner's fault directly, but even less BMW's.
I'm curious to know where and why you would have to take off a bolt holding the differential to the subframe when installing an axleback exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #33
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3heaven View Post
Most people, and certainly most shops do it that way, because it literally takes 5 minutes to remove the axle back with the hangers in place. Then you can remove the hangers on the floor much easier, by rotating them back and forth with WD40. Snapping the rubber hangers off the shafts (without removing them with their brackets) is a real b*tch . And yes, that's exactly what I did the first time. If there's a next time, will definitely take the brackets off. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #34
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Most people, and certainly most shops do it that way, because it literally takes 5 minutes to remove the axle back with the hangers in place. Then you can remove the hangers on the floor much easier, by rotating them back and forth with WD40. Snapping the rubber hangers off the shafts (without removing them with their brackets) is a real b*tch . And yes, that's exactly what I did the first time. If there's a next time, will definitely take the brackets off. Hope this helps.
LOL, that's good to know, cause it was very hard getting those on and off when they were still hanging up there.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #35
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Thats not right, less your'e not telling us something
your car is brand new..
good luck
      06-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #36
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I'm afraid not. A subframe is not going to break due to a botched shift. No way. It's pretty darn stout.

Now we're getting somewhere . OP, you said you have never launched (see below). How come you had wheel hop without launching?

Finally, my advice is to come clean about what happened (at least with BMW), since if you're caught lying, you're not going to get anywhere. Even if you had a launch or two, the car is supposed to withstand some abuse. Remember experienced technicians can pretty much tell by the way something broke how it happened, and it'd be pretty clear if it was a defect, abuse, negligence (in case the bolts were removed and not tightened properly), or if you hit something. I REALLY doubt you'd be immediately turned down for warranty if something wasn't pretty obvious to them, and without the 'full truth' from you, all our comments are useless. Good luck man.
It does remind me of this thread

Quote:
10g damage to my 3 month old m3: need help
Hey guys,

I've been meaning to put this thread up for a while now since it has been a reoccurring problem for me with my car. In Mid Feb, the bolt on my right suspension mount on the drive train snapped in half and when I brought it to my local bmw dealership(Greenwood Indiana) they said that when the exhaust was mounted someone tampered with my bolt and torqued it improperly. So the problem wasn't covered under warranty and I had to shell out $400, not a big deal but figured I would go to the exhaust shop to get the money for the repair. When discussing the issue with the exhaust shop they were determined to make me understand that in now way were they responsible for the damage that happened. The car was set up on a lift and the bolt that had broken was no where near the hangers or where was worked on under the car. So clearly, it was a mechanical fault that I had to pay for. My understanding till this day, having a handful of bmws in my family is that, everything that goes wrong with the car under 50k is under warranty. So whatever I was aggravated but happy to have my car back and I was on the road once again. So I shipped my car back to NY for spring and summer and after driving around for no more hen 1000 miles after the car was fixed, same noise that came from the car when it snapped the 1st time happened once again. . So I figured not to worry, I purchased my car from BMW of Manhattan they should take care of it and get it back to me pretty soon. I get a call the next day stating that the bolt that was installed at BMW in Indiana was not the proper one and therefore had snapped in half again and this time the drive train actually dropped and the exhaust hanger broke off. So now i'm facing 10gs of damages and BMW of Indiana is claiming that the proper bolt was installed and they will take no action because the car is not in front of them. BMW of Manhattan is claiming that since it was a direct result of their workmanship they are liable. So now both BMWs are saying they are not the ones to blame. At this point I really cant stand waiting around for calls or calling service managers and pleading my case with no results. So my car has been sitting at BMW for about a week now and no repair has started and no intention of it until this issue with Indiana is resolved. What would you recommend I do from here? Would really really appreciate your help guys. Thanks
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499159
      06-21-2011, 02:36 AM   #37
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnhm3 View Post
engineers from BMW came to check out my car
Which makes taking the car to another dealer/ringing BMWNA a waste of time as the results of the engineers inspection will be on your cars file.

Get an independent engineer (preferably with court testifying experience) to inspect your car and based on his opinion proceed with legal action or pony up the cash for the repair yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #38
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I would be really disappointed if BMW told me that my high performance BMW was really designed for low performance driving and that my warranty would be voided if I bounced off the rev limiter. These cars should be able to run at the dragstrip or at the track.

A mechanical over rev due to a a driver error downshift instead of upshift would be another matter.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #39
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

More likely is that the BMW engineer was told that the owner had installed a non-BMW exhaust and he found evidence that the third party installer had caused or contributed to the subframe/Diff failure.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #40
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Call a lawyer! That's BS. We are not allowed to rev it up to 8K? You must be kidding me.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #41
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Sorry for your loss, but maybe you'll learn to take better care of your stuff in the future. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a BMW engineer to figure out you broke this car out of abuse.
A warranty is not a license to beat the shit out of your car. If you honestly believe this car broke because of faulty manufacturing or a faulty part, you are deluding yourself.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #42
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
So BMW made a car to rev to 8000+rpms, marketed as the highest revving production car, and yet if a customer does exceed 8000revs and something breaks now or down the road it is the customers fault? Sounds like a load of BS to me that the dealer is giving you. You might as well tell them to no longer sell the car, if that is the case. Get a lawyer and take it up with bmw na.
      06-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #43
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I await more facts.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #44
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

oh please not subframe issues with the e9xM...

This is the first i've heard of, however...
Appreciate 0