BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

European Auto Source (EAS)
Closed Thread

08-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Marijuana is good for your health

What do you guys think about marijuana as far as health?

From all the studies I've seen there are many health benefits to consuming cannabis. I have yet to see any type of proof that marijuana can cause any type of harm to the human body. Sure some people can argue that smoking is bad for you and I see why it could be, but even long term studies have failed to link cannabis smoke to any health problems. Not to mention smoking is only one of several ways to consume marijuana. From what I've read and from personal experience, I think this is a very useful plant that many people don't take advantage of.

It has already been proven to be a very effective cure for cancer in large doses.
http://www.endalldisease.com/harvard...-cures-cancer/

Marijuana is also supposed to rid the brain of damaged brain cells while encouraging the growth of new brain cells. It also can protect the brain from alcohol.
http://www.collective-evolution.com/...d-brain-cells/
http://www.mpp.org/media/press-relea...y-protect.html

Marijuana lowers insulin resistance making it useful to treat or prevent diabetes. Users usually have a slimmer waistline than nonusers.
http://www.amjmed.com/webfiles/image...m/AJM11994.pdf
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/23/health...juana-diabetes

Cannabis can even help with HIV/AIDS
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0033961

Alzheimers and other age related diseases
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15145917/n.../#.UiIaYRY1YlI

PTSD is a defect in the endocannabinoid system. PTSD sufferers have a larger amount of cannabinoid receptors but a lower amount of anandamide, a natural cannabinoid found in the body. Therefore it is proven that cannabis is the best treatment for ptsd.
http://blog.norml.org/2013/05/21/stu...umatic-stress/

Even ADD/ADHD
http://mcforadhd.free.fr/symptomsen.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/04...-to-calm-kids/

Cannabis is a very healthy food as well. Hemp seeds are the healthiest thing you can possibly eat since they are full of omega 3 and 6 in ideal ratios. They are also high in protein and contain all the amino acids you need.

http://www.ratical.org/renewables/hempseed1.html
http://www.collective-evolution.com/...vs-smoking-it/

Omega 3 and Omega 6 are essential in brain development and are an important part of the human diet.

Anyways this list can go on forever since there is much more research that has been done on this plant and we continue to learn new uses for it all the time. The question is, why isn't everyone using it? We could replace every single pharmacuetical drug with a harmless plant. Seems like a good idea to me considering prescription drugs kill 16,000 people a year and cannabis has caused 0 deaths ever.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

There are conflicting studies on the brain damage part..particularly in younger marijuana users, where some studies come to opposite conclusion ie it can inhibit learning, memory, brain development and causes damage. Based on what I've seen personally with are or once were heavy users, I'm more in the camp of it causing brain damage
Appreciate 2
kanovic456.00
unluky7456.00
      08-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Ask Bob-Marley !
Anyway not for me.

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Anything that you smoke is bad for your lungs. They've been studies that it can cause lung cancer as much as cigarettes. There's no doubt that there are benefits to marijuana, but smoking it is not one.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 3
Esteban41729.00
      08-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

You also want to be careful with this wording.

"It has already been proven to be a very effective cure for cancer in large doses."

If it had been proven as an effective cure, we would be out curing cancer. It had been shown to reduce tumor sizes in mice in a lab. That's not the same as having an effective cure. We have an effective cure for malaria. We have an effective cure in the prevention of polio. We cannot prevent or cure most terminal cancer currently.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Maybe it's time to move to a country where it's legal and consumed in extremely large quantities over long times?

There is no need to consume mariuana for health benefits.

As with most theoretical studies: it focusses on the things it might do, and less or not on the negative effects.

The biggest risk imho is the mental addiction and the way it may change your opinion and attitude. Especially for younger people.

The euforic way you compose your post seems to me you need an excuse to use it?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
There are conflicting studies on the brain damage part..particularly in younger marijuana users, where some studies come to opposite conclusion ie it can inhibit learning, memory, brain development and causes damage. Based on what I've seen personally with are or once were heavy users, I'm more in the camp of it causing brain damage
I haven't found any credible studies linking use to brain damage if you can find any to show me that would be great. The only negative studies I've seen were during the days of government propaganda, such as Reefer Madness.

I've seen studies that show users have a higher iq. Personally I believe it from use.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Anything that you smoke is bad for your lungs. They've been studies that it can cause lung cancer as much as cigarettes. There's no doubt that there are benefits to marijuana, but smoking it is not one.
I'm not sure about that there are studies that show heavy use over long periods didn't show any noticeable negative effects. I do agree that long term smoking could possibly have negative effects on the lungs, but it hasn't been proven. There are other ways to consume it though that are safer.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Maybe it's time to move to a country where it's legal and consumed in extremely large quantities over long times?

There is no need to consume mariuana for health benefits.

As with most theoretical studies: it focusses on the things it might do, and less or not on the negative effects.

The biggest risk imho is the mental addiction and the way it may change your opinion and attitude. Especially for younger people.

The euforic way you compose your post seems to me you need an excuse to use it?
Sure I'd say its changed my opinions and attitude towards life in a positive way though. As long as someone is responsible they will still be a responsible person if they smoke weed. I guess it could affect some people negatively but I think it has more to do with the individual than the substance. What do you even consider addiction? It's subjective.

There is a lot proof to the health benefits both theoretically and realistically. Just because its not mainstream doesn't mean we don't know about it.

I just wanted to get other people's views on it. Personally it allows me to question things about life and learn from it, and I feel it gets people closer to nature. I feel like I care more about plants, animals, and other people because of cannabis. But I understand everyone would have different experiences.

Last edited by bmw325i; 08-31-2013 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
K.M. Tim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2011 M3  [2.00]
2012 BMW F30 w/ M S ...  [0.00]
I did and I don't even smoke. It does smell good.
      08-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
What do you even consider addiction? It's subjective.
2 joints a day.

But look at it this way: where I live cannabis is legal. You can buy it probaby at 4 shops in half a mile radius from my house. When you're 16 or 17 you're a pretty bad ass if you smoke cannabis. When you're 25 its just cool and relaxed.

When a 35 year old smokes cannabis you're an outcast, a loser and nobody takes you serious. Not in the real world. The only friends you have are people who smoke it regularly too...

But as I said: the real danger lies in the way it changes your attitude. Smoking cannabis a lot on a younger age (like 1-2 joints a day every day for 5 years or more) changes your personality. It's pretty debateble in the medical world (amotivational syndrome), because it's very hard to study and one individual is different than another (why do most people stop with cannabis when they're in their late 20's and why do some not?). So there may not be a direct cause in cannabis but I think it enhances this caracter flaw.

But feel free and experiment. You're the boss over your own body and mind.
If you think it's really healty, you'll probably live longer and healtier if you consume larger doses.
I haven't met them though (no healty ones at least; consumers in large doses are at a surplus though )
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
2 joints a day.

But look at it this way: where I live cannabis is legal. You can buy it probaby at 4 shops in half a mile radius from my house. When you're 16 or 17 you're a pretty bad ass if you smoke cannabis. When you're 25 its just cool and relaxed.

When a 35 year old smokes cannabis you're an outcast, a loser and nobody takes you serious. Not in the real world. The only friends you have are people who smoke it regularly too...

But as I said: the real danger lies in the way it changes your attitude. Smoking cannabis a lot on a younger age (like 1-2 joints a day every day for 5 years or more) changes your personality. It's pretty debateble in the medical world (amotivational syndrome), because it's very hard to study and one individual is different than another (why do most people stop with cannabis when they're in their late 20's and why do some not?). So there may not be a direct cause in cannabis but I think it enhances this caracter flaw.

But feel free and experiment. You're the boss over your own body and mind.
If you think it's really healty, you'll probably live longer and healtier if you consume larger doses.
I haven't met them though (no healty ones at least; consumers in large doses are at a surplus though )
There are a lot of factors to consider. Like lifestyle, excercize, mental abilities. Not drinking enough water. Many people have nutritional deficiencies they don't even know about. Also many people eat processed foods or fast food too much. People eat too many inorganic foods that are full of pesticides and other toxins, or even genetically modified foods. Our water is contaminated with fluoride and chlorine.

All these things are much worse for your health than weed could ever be yet most people are uninformed or misinformed about them. All these things make it difficult to study health problems.

So anyone that smokes more than 2 joints a day is addicted? How exactly did you come up with that number? What about medical patients that would benefit from much higher doses?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

http://www.medicaldaily.com/marijuan...nfirmed-241869

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263936.php

Also, looking at peer review bodies which study all research (vs hand selected) also shows there is only a statistically significant scientific basis for a couple of conditions (pain and MS) that marijuana has been effective in treating:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mar...CTION=evidence

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mar...SECTION=safety

Be careful...a key component of addiction is rationalization of addictive behaviors; carefully look at all the evidence presented (or lack of evidence...just because something didn't get tested doesn't mean it can't have other adverse effects that aren't known particularly over the long run). I don't know about you, but when reading these things plus seeing the effects of chronic marijuana users personally, my personal view would be to stay away until more is known/tested.

Quote:
I haven't found any credible studies linking use to brain damage if you can find any to show me that would be great. The only negative studies I've seen were during the days of government propaganda, such as Reefer Madness.

I've seen studies that show users have a higher iq. Personally I believe it from use.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I have a similar theory as your original post posited. Drinking kills brain cells, but only the bad ones so it actually makes me smarter.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
p-streets
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Show me that study it can actually help your lungs because user tend to hold there deep breath longer and that helps increase the capacity of your lungs. I never seen anything saying it can cause cancer just like cigs not saying your wrong would just like to see it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
So anyone that smokes more than 2 joints a day is addicted? How exactly did you come up with that number?
It is my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Be careful...a key component of addiction is rationalization of addictive behaviors;
I think that's pretty much what's going on in the TS' mind.
imho he's looking for a personal moral excuse to give in to his addiction or habits.

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-31-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No, it actually has been proven maybe not mainstream, but Rick Simpson has cured himself and probably 1000's of people with cannabis oil. You can also google it and you'll find plenty of cancer patients that have actually cured there cancer with cannabis. Cannabinoids have been proven to cause apoptosis in malignant cells while leaving healthy cells alone.

In this case the saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure comes to mind.
No it has not been proven. If he had a proven cure for cancer, he'd have a Nobel Prize and people in the first world would no longer die from cancer.

So we have anecdotal evidence of people treating themselves with cannabis oil and going into remission? Do science. Actual science. Prove it. Get a real cure. Get it in peer reviewed journals. Save millions upon millions of lives per year.

A Nobel Prize awards roughly 8 million dollars. I guess he's just not motivated to go make that money? Nor is anyone else who's heard of this AMAZING cure but is just sleeping on it? The evil government is sending government agents to EVERY scientist's house who hears about these amazing claims and telling them "If you make any breakthroughs in modern medicine using this oil, Uncle Sam will kill you!"

You do a Google search for "cannabis oil cures cancer" and the only link on the first page that's not a marijuana motivated page is this one:
http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk....idence-so-far/

It looks like an entry on a science blog which is about a year old and addresses some of the claims and the evidence. There's also a page on cancer.org. You'll notice on neither site is there a big "Mission Accomplished" banner suggesting we've cured cancer. What you're implying is borderline offensive.

What you are trying to say is there is evidence to suggest cannabis oil can effectively treat cancer. There's also evidence to suggest that natural remedies and a better diet can cure cancer. That's what someone told Steve Jobs and he believed it.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets View Post
Show me that study it can actually help your lungs because user tend to hold there deep breath longer and that helps increase the capacity of your lungs. I never seen anything saying it can cause cancer just like cigs not saying your wrong would just like to see it.
Come on really?

Guys. If you're trying to advocate the benefits of marijuana, you HAVE to not come off as science illiterate stoners. No one is going to take you seriously and you aren't doing your cause ANY favors.

Read. Learn what confirmation bias is and try to avoid it at ALL COSTS. Look at evidence objectively and forget the agenda you are trying to promote.

Appreciate 1
      08-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #19
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Are you a pothead, Focker?
Appreciate 3
Esteban41729.00
s14_kev367.00
      08-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
p-streets
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
Come on really?

Guys. If you're trying to advocate the benefits of marijuana, you HAVE to not come off as science illiterate stoners. No one is going to take you seriously and you aren't doing your cause ANY favors.

Read. Learn what confirmation bias is and try to avoid it at ALL COSTS. Look at evidence objectively and forget the agenda you are trying to promote.
I am far from a stoner I'm in the military so none for me and yes really do your homework and look it up before you talk. I don't smoke but I am a supporter of marijuana, cannabis, weed whatever you want to call it. I have done alot of reserch on it and I do plan on getting involved in this area once the Feds allow it. Also if you seen the news they are letting states use it medically and recreational if that's what the states want. Also look at all the people that use it for illness that that live by it and have not used before and are even using it for kids who have seizures multiple times a day and now are down to once a month. So yes I am serious
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
No it has not been proven. If he had a proven cure for cancer, he'd have a Nobel Prize and people in the first world would no longer die from cancer.

So we have anecdotal evidence of people treating themselves with cannabis oil and going into remission? Do science. Actual science. Prove it. Get a real cure. Get it in peer reviewed journals. Save millions upon millions of lives per year.

A Nobel Prize awards roughly 8 million dollars. I guess he's just not motivated to go make that money? Nor is anyone else who's heard of this AMAZING cure but is just sleeping on it? The evil government is sending government agents to EVERY scientist's house who hears about these amazing claims and telling them "If you make any breakthroughs in modern medicine using this oil, Uncle Sam will kill you!"

You do a Google search for "cannabis oil cures cancer" and the only link on the first page that's not a marijuana motivated page is this one:
http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk....idence-so-far/

It looks like an entry on a science blog which is about a year old and addresses some of the claims and the evidence. There's also a page on cancer.org. You'll notice on neither site is there a big "Mission Accomplished" banner suggesting we've cured cancer. What you're implying is borderline offensive.

What you are trying to say is there is evidence to suggest cannabis oil can effectively treat cancer. There's also evidence to suggest that natural remedies and a better diet can cure cancer. That's what someone told Steve Jobs and he believed it.
If you watch the documentary Run from the Cure you will clearly see he cured his own cancer as well as thousands of others using cannabis oil. He also tried to get the word out but nobody was really interested. In a way companies that make pharmaceuticals don't want diseases such as cancer to be cured especially not through natural means. They wouldn't make any money off it, and that is what you should be offended by. It's kind of similar to the fact that we go to war because its profitable. If you look up Rick Simpson you will see that he is not after money as he doesn't charge any of his patients for the medicine.

Btw there are many natural cures for cancer. Baking soda, vitamin b17, omega 3 and 6, antioxidants such as cannabis and blueberries, dandelions, and many more. Plants were put here for us to use and they all have there uses many we just don't know about. I believe diet along with beauty products and cleaners have a lot to do with cancer. Most people consume a lot of toxins and have a highly processed and unnatural diet. They develop nutrient deficiencies and free radicals start building up because the diet doesn't contain enough antioxidants.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets View Post
I am far from a stoner I'm in the military so none for me and yes really do your homework and look it up before you talk. I don't smoke but I am a supporter of marijuana, cannabis, weed whatever you want to call it. I have done alot of reserch on it and I do plan on getting involved in this area once the Feds allow it. Also if you seen the news they are letting states use it medically and recreational if that's what the states want. Also look at all the people that use it for illness that that live by it and have not used before and are even using it for kids who have seizures multiple times a day and now are down to once a month. So yes I am serious
So you've done homework that made you believe that the benefits of being able to hold your breath longer somehow outweighed the fact that there are known carcinogens and tar in marijuana smoke?

You've done your homework but you've "never seen anything saying it can cause cancer"?

You haven't done your homework. I'm not saying you're a stoner. I said if you want to promote marijuana, you aren't doing any favors coming off as a science illiterate stoner, which you are.

I personally don't think Marijuana should be illegal. Or I think alcohol should be illegal (although we've seen how that works out). Either way, we need to be logically consistent. But I also don't think marijuana is some miracle cure all or some magic substance with no harmful side effects. That's taking a step into the absurd.

Last edited by Devious21; 08-31-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread