BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

ESS Tuning

02-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #23
Seven7
First Lieutenant
Canada

Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowster View Post
There are others here that feel otherwise about PA3s, including some of our fellow Canadians in snowy climates:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474753

Glad you like the PA3s, but I bet Blizzaks would be exponentially better in all true wintery conditions. Drive safe out there!
Oh and also there are 2 types of PA3s. There is the H-rated and the V-rated. I got the V-rated and it is a lot better in the snow compared to the H-rated. I think those who struggle in the snow with the PA3s have the H-rated. The V-rated is 5% better when accelerating in the snow and it has improved traction for better stopping and handling..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #24
Zeus69
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Blizzak WS-60s FTW!!!
      02-22-2011, 02:05 AM   #25
Seven7
First Lieutenant
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus69 View Post
Blizzak WS-60s FTW!!!
the guy in the body shop told me that PA3s had better handing and control in the snow compared to the ws-60s. He shut me down hard when I asked about the blizzaks..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #26
IbanezGod
Captain

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

i bought a jeep instead of snow tires

2007 Porsche 911 Turbo, 1998 M Roadster, 2011 E90 M3 (sold)
MY Euro-Delivery Experience

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #27
jeffnnj
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7-seven View Post
I went with PA3s because they were ranked 1st in the winter tires category according to tirerack. I was actually pulling the trigger on the 3D dunlop but I read some reviews saying that the traction isnt too good at times. When I was driving with the PA3s I feel like I was driving an AWD, I had total control of my car and I seriously recommend these sets to those thinking of buying winter tires in the future. Basically, nothing can go wrong with PA3s.
Couldn't disagree more. I LOVE my Winter 3Ds. I had a set of M3s on my 550i and thought they were great but these are even better.
2002 M3 Convertible Titanium Silver/Black(retired)
1998 328i Convertible Arctic Silver/Gray(retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #28
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan

Drives: a shitty M3

snow storm, keep it inside, the car can't handle it very well.
i could go ride my bike in a snowstorm, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #29
Daft
Captain
Canada

Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3 & 2003 E46 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.87]
2003 BMW M3  [5.00]
I can vouch for blizzaks. Drives wonderful in this weather. But in my opinion the Dunlop Wintersports on my E46 are a bit better, especially in the dry cold.

2011 M3 ZCP | ESS SUPERCHARGED | AKRAPOVIC EVOLUTION | 20" HRE P40 | BREMBO BBK | B&G SPRINGS
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #30
mkoesel
United_States

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloM3 View Post
snow storm, keep it inside, the some drivers can't handle it very well.
Fixed.

My car handles absolutely great in the snow. Wife does great with the either the M3 or 335i in the snow too.

Quote:
Sure, and you would indeed be a fool to try unless you had snow tires on it. If by "bike", you mean "bicycle" then I don't believe they exist (except studs for ice riding). For motorcycles they might exist, but I doubt it (again, except for studded).

Obviously there is a reason why there are literally dozens of different snow tires on the market - it's because cars are made to drive in the snow. Pretty basic logic there.
      02-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #31
rdkc01
Enlisted Member

Drives: E90 M3

The E90 M is doing great this winter. It has made it through some unbelievable Wisconsin snow storms. I canít wait until spring though when I remove the car cover and battery tender and fire it back up Seriously I just have a tough time seeing the salt and slush on this car so I bought a 2007 X3 and put a set of all season Nokian WGR2s on it. Great tires and they last a lot longer than a dedicated snow like the Blizzak. The WGR2 I believe is the only all season tire that bears the mountain-snowflake symbol on the sidewall. The grip of these tires is every bit as good as the Blizzaks I have had. This would be a great winter tire for the M3. It is a great having them on the X3 because this one tire does it all.
A couple of years back I did drive an E36 M3 all winter with a set of Blizzaks on it and it did fantastic. I recall one day we received 14Ē of snow. Most of my coworkers left early but of few of us stayed because we had some clients that were meeting with us from out of town. I drove home at dusk through unplowed roads and actually had a blast doing it. I did have to strain to see and follow what ever tracks I could but the M pulled strong through it all.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #32
mdosu
Banned
No_Country

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

winter tires are a must when driving in snow, but the traction control works wonders on the M3!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #33
nimbusjim

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

Here's another vote for the Blizzaks. Also in upstate NY. The M3 handles like a champ in the snow.
'04 E46 330i ZHP Black Sapphire Metallic (missed)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #34
gthal
Brigadier General
Canada

Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7-seven View Post
I think this guy is just an exception (maybe how he is driving is holding him back in the snow?). If you read the comments in the thread, others find the PA3s terrific.

I think you are referring to me. It isn't how I drive in the snow... I have been doing it with RWD Infinitis and BMW's for years without issue. IMO it is the type of snow we get where I live that the PA3 can't deal with. On dry pavement they are great. Snow that is slushy and icy and they are not great. If I lived on the West coast I may feel differently about these tires but anyone who says they feel like they are driving in an AWD car with the PA3 is smoking some really good B.C. bud!!

I think if you actually read the other thread from start to finish there are more guys by far that feel the same about the PA3 as me. I think you have selective reading . In all seriousness, in light fluffy snow (like in your pics above) the PA3 is OK... No where near as good as the previous Blizzaks I have owned but, in their defense, they are WAY better 80% of the time when roads are clear. I think the PA3 are great tires for some winter climates and not so much for others.

Here is a challenge... Next time you get slushy, icy snow, go out and stop your car on an incline and see what happens if you don't believe me
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #35
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan

oh, you again. the consummate bimmer fan mkoesel.
i guess you don't like to drive too hard or have any fun in your car if it handles well with the snow.
you should have bought a civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Fixed.

My car handles absolutely great in the snow. Wife does great with the either the M3 or 335i in the snow too.

Sure, and you would indeed be a fool to try unless you had snow tires on it. If by "bike", you mean "bicycle" then I don't believe they exist (except studs for ice riding). For motorcycles they might exist, but I doubt it (again, except for studded).

Obviously there is a reason why there are literally dozens of different snow tires on the market - it's because cars are made to drive in the snow. Pretty basic logic there.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #36
Seven7
First Lieutenant
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

I think you are referring to me. It isn't how I drive in the snow... I have been doing it with RWD Infinitis and BMW's for years without issue. IMO it is the type of snow we get where I live that the PA3 can't deal with. On dry pavement they are great. Snow that is slushy and icy and they are not great. If I lived on the West coast I may feel differently about these tires but anyone who says they feel like they are driving in an AWD car with the PA3 is smoking some really good B.C. bud!!

I think if you actually read the other thread from start to finish there are more guys by far that feel the same about the PA3 as me. I think you have selective reading . In all seriousness, in light fluffy snow (like in your pics above) the PA3 is OK... No where near as good as the previous Blizzaks I have owned but, in their defense, they are WAY better 80% of the time when roads are clear. I think the PA3 are great tires for some winter climates and not so much for others.

Here is a challenge... Next time you get slushy, icy snow, go out and stop your car on an incline and see what happens if you don't believe me
Im actually driving my m3 on the east coast (london ontario which is on the snow belt) and we just had a big snow storm and i had absolute control of my car. Also I found out that there are 2 types of PA3s..Are yours the H-rated or V-rated? I got the V-rated PA3s and they are more intense (traction and control) compared to the H-rated. Maybe you have the H-rated? because there are more than one kind of PA3s.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #37
mkoesel
United_States

Quote:
oh, you again. the consummate bimmer fan mkoesel.
And more hate from the Audi fanboi. Hey here's an idea - don't post BS. Pretty simple. Or just keep getting posting lies, and keeping called out.

Quote:
i guess you don't like to drive too hard or have any fun in your car if it handles well with the snow.
I guess you can't drive period, or you wouldn't be so dealthly affraid to drive your performance car in the winter time. Too bad you don't understand car control. Shame really.

Driving an M3 in the snow is some of the most fun you can have outside of the track. You'll never dare try it though, so it's no surprised you have such disdain for those who do.

Quote:
you should have bought a civic.
You should have bought an Audi so you wouldn't have to suffer as the most miserable M3 owner on the board. That, and so you can have fun understeering the car into oblivion.
      02-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #38
mkoesel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
What does that mean? Makes no sense...
You have to run it through google translator and choose "Audi fanboi" as the language translation.

Here's the results:

"I'm a grumpy Audi fanboi who just wishes the RS5 would have lived up to the hype"
      02-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #39
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan

you are a riot, and uber sensitive.
i'm sorry to make you feel upset, would you like some milk and cookies?
i didn't even mention anything about Audi but it seems you think anything negative about bmw has to do with audi.
here's a tip...get a grip, buy a different car and maybe you can learn something about cars other than the one-sided drivel you constantly post about bmw's.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #40
mkoesel
United_States

Quote:
you are a riot, and uber sensitive. i'm sorry to make you feel upset, would you like some milk and cookies?
Except the thing is you are the one who got all butt hurt to begin with. All I did was correct your FUD. Again, just don't lie ok? Too hard for you? Then expect to get called out, guy. What's so hard to understand?

Quote:
i didn't even mention anything about Audi but it seems you think anything negative about bmw has to do with audi.
Come on man - you're constantly waving your Audi hard-on around for all to see, so yeah we know, we get it.

Quote:
here's a tip...get a grip, buy a different car and maybe you can learn something about cars other than the one-sided drivel you constantly post about bmw's.
Buy a different car? Great tip, awesome idea. Just go sell the car you enjoy and go buy something else because it will make you more open to talking about other cars on a BMW forum because that's what people should do because MonteCarlo thinks so because shouldn't every forum just be one big off topic free for all?

Come on guys don't be so BMW-y, you stupid BMW-ers. Put some Audi-ness in your car-y car talkies!
      02-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #41
shamoo
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
snow storm, keep it inside, the car can't handle it very well.
I see it's been beaten to death already, but the car handles fine with a set of winter/snow tires. This winter (including two state of emergencies) I passed numerous stuck snow plows, SUVs, AWD, and FWD cars. I passed them in deeper snow since I had to go around them.

My prior car was an S2000 roadster which was extremely low to the ground. I had Blizzak WS60s on that during the winter and it was also fine. In fact, the S2000 was better in the snow than the M3 surprisingly probably because the tires where slightly thinner and Blizzaks are more of a snow tire vs. the Dunlops which are a "performance winter" tire. You actually have to TRY to get the rear end to step out.

I'll whore some of my videos from other posts I've made. Both of these made during a state of emergency when I was headed to work.

02-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #42
mkoesel
United_States

^^^

That's total non-sense!

If you had been in an Audi, the car would have literally hovered up off of the ground and flown over the snow drifts in a deitous display with a light pink angelic halo surrounding the entire passenger cabin. Also, you would have been able to shoot out some high powered lazer guided heat beams to melt the snow from around your fellow commuters to get them back on the road. Try a different car for once - you'll have much safer travels and be a better citizen to boot.
      02-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #43
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan

hey shamoo, i absolutely agree the car does fine with winter tires, just not as much fun as i would like to have. the M is a great spring/summer/fall car, just not all that great for winter fun times. just the same as a corvette or porsche 911 wouldn't be all that much fun for winter driving.
something like a gt-r would be a blast though, all four wheels ploughing/digging into the snow would be a ton of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
I see it's been beaten to death already, but the car handles fine with a set of winter/snow tires. This winter (including two state of emergencies) I passed numerous stuck snow plows, SUVs, AWD, and FWD cars. I passed them in deeper snow since I had to go around them.

My prior car was an S2000 roadster which was extremely low to the ground. I had Blizzak WS60s on that during the winter and it was also fine. In fact, the S2000 was better in the snow than the M3 surprisingly probably because the tires where slightly thinner and Blizzaks are more of a snow tire vs. the Dunlops which are a "performance winter" tire. You actually have to TRY to get the rear end to step out.

I'll whore some of my videos from other posts I've made. Both of these made during a state of emergency when I was headed to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #44
shamoo
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
hey shamoo, i absolutely agree the car does fine with winter tires, just not as much fun as i would like to have. the M is a great spring/summer/fall car, just not all that great for winter fun times. just the same as a corvette or porsche 911 wouldn't be all that much fun for winter driving.
something like a gt-r would be a blast though, all four wheels ploughing/digging into the snow would be a ton of fun.
Yes, totally agree. If I had the funds, I'd be driving around in a Jeep something. That would be just about the same fun as driving an M3 in the summer.