BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Okada plasma direct ignition coils

Hi Guys,

I am just taking some experience from my past of FI cars. Of my GTI and trying to add it to M3 here so any suggestions if very welcomed.

OK!

I have notice on FI cars everything seems to be the double the gain on whatever you mod.

like a tuned file is always more gain, a intake is also more HP gain, and a exhaust is also more HP as well.

so when I had my GTI I added a plasma voltage increase. I could adjust the voltage of the spark going through my ignition coils. Now because it was adjustable I when from (i think stock) 12V to 16V and then after when to 17V on a daily bases. I must say after by adding this the car feels very responsive and also felt a lot more torque. One of the problem I ran into when added more voltage was my coils didn't last very long so what I did was changed to the RS4 coils. That cured it and everything was fine!

Now here is my question: How come this type of products don't seem to be popular on the FI M3s?

as from my experience if you bigger mods. you will always have bigger fuel applications and if you combustion is also better doesn't that mean more power of more effcient?

www.okadaprojects.com/usa/products_direct.htm

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The reason these products aren't very popular is because they do not improve power and they burn up ignition coils. Just so you know, more spark energy than what is required to ignite the intake charge produces ZERO increase in power. You could use an ignition that can supply 100,000 volts and 200 amps but if the plug only requires 20,000 volts and .5 amps to fire the mixture, that is all that is used.

If butt dyno's were accurate car companies who test all the nonsense claims by aftermarket suppliers, would use a butt dyno instead of a million dollar engine dyno lab to determine any real power gains.
ya I know if burns up the coils that is why the coils amps are not good. but if if comes with the coils itself like a make coil that will last.

ya I know too much voltage is no good. the car will not feel like its running at all.

I have tried it many times with my GTI in the past.

but I guess the heavy price tag of these plasma coils also has a good play in it as well.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0