BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

BPM

02-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #1
jkidd_39
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

F10 535i vs 2009 X6 50i

I am hoping you guys can give me some pointers on a possible move.

Had a 2011 535i for the last year. Fully equipped minus the sport package. Picked up this car for it's interior comfort and drive ability. The original plan was to have this for 2-3 years them move to a x6.

Car is space grey and the wife has always wanted a different color. So with taxes and bonus coming up we are considering a gloss white wrap and tires are about done so switching to some new wheels and non run flat tires (they suck haha)

Wife was looking around on the internets and found an 09 x6 50ix with 41k on the clock. We both really love the car but it's got the N63 4.4 and I have always heard that they are trouble. Can anyone speak in depth about such a swap.

The big advantage I am seeing is I would pick up about 6k in collateral value by swapping my 5 for the x6.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post

Had a 2011 535i for the last year. Fully equipped minus the sport package. Picked up this car for it's interior comfort and drive ability. The original plan was to have this for 2-3 years them move to a x6.

Car is space grey and the wife has always wanted a different color. So with taxes and bonus coming up we are considering a gloss white wrap and tires are about done so switching to some new wheels and non run flat tires (they suck haha)

Wife was looking around on the internets and found an 09 x6 50ix with 41k on the clock. We both really love the car but it's got the N63 4.4 and I have always heard that they are trouble. Can anyone speak in depth about such a swap.

The big advantage I am seeing is I would pick up about 6k in collateral value by swapping my 5 for the x6.

Thanks.
I had a N63 in a 550i and didn't have one issue with it. However it wasn't high mileage when it was turned back in.

Is the X6 CPO? Do you have the service history? Is there any mom/pops shops in your area?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:

Thanks.
"N63 Customer Care Package"...I'm guessing this will scare you away from that X6. If not, good luck with your car purchase.

https://forums.finalgear.com/automot...package-59116/
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
jkidd_39
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I had a N63 in a 550i and didn't have one issue with it. However it wasn't high mileage when it was turned back in.

Is the X6 CPO? Do you have the service history? Is there any mom/pops shops in your area?
The vehicle is a CPO. It has 67k right now. The warranty runs out 8-31-15 or 100k. I attached the service history below. I know of a mom and pops bmw shop about 30 miles away but I have never used them. I have 2 years/22k miles of extended warranty left on my 535i. I would prefer to not have a vehicle that likes service. Thanks for all the advice.

Edit: I spoke with the dealership today and they have not checked the car out yet per the n63 bulletin. If they replace the timing chain/injectors/hpfp I wouldn't be upset with new parts. Haha

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 04:53 AM   #5
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
I would prefer to not have a vehicle that likes service.

This X6 clearly likes service, and not the routine kind.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 05:55 AM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

stopped reading after minus the sports package, there's no reason for that, ever
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
If they do the bulletin mentioned above, I would say everything would be up to par as best it could be. An if anything went wrong you would have some warranty coverage.

However, I do agree with a poster above.. That car has had some issues, be it a bad service department that wants to squeeze BMW for every dime or a lemon.

How long do you plan on keeping the car? What's the price?

I would pass on this X6.
- It's soon to be out of Warranty
- An it's current history shows its needed lots of service.
1) Either they prior owners drove it like a dirty whore
2) Its a lemon/BuyBack

- However, what else could go wrong? Would be the question if you decided to buy.

Quote:

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 02-20-2015 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0