BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM
Closed Thread

06-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #45
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantDrv55 View Post
It's still a GM. Have you sat in one? Horrid finish, cheap feeling interior, but hey, as long as it's fast.
Then there is the whole service dept thing, having been to gm and bmw service depts, bmw wins hands down. They actually treat you like a person, whereas gm always acted like they're doing you a favor by servicing your car.
Little bit of a difference between a normal GM service department and Cadillac's
Cadillac's have historically been owned by middle aged and older folk.
They are not the demographics to be treated like crap by service people and continue buying their cars.
Cadillac has made big strides in the past 5-6 years.
Celebrities and even psudeo-celebrities and well off rich folk by Cadillac Escalades in droves.
You think a young diva, or rapper, or sport athlete driving an scalde is going to accept crappy dealer treatment?
True the big stars with Escalades will have "people" to service the cars, but many, many more that don't make millions but still make very good livings don't have assistants to do that, they take their cars in themselves.

As for interiors, hate to say it, but BMW ain't no Audi. Can't really be hating on Cadillac's interiors when BMW's own isn't anything special.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #46
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarRamrod View Post
::Ontario::
Eh???
::Florida::

am I playing the game right?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #47
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

just to rub salt in the wound, the guy had a passenger, i did not.

In any case I'll repeat what I said before: Why cant BMW be #1 in acceleration and handling? Im sure its coming.

That said it was a different ball game when the e46 m3 was new and on the streets. It dominated. e92 m3, today, with whats out there, not so much if at all.

You listening BMW?
      06-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #48
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapistwit View Post
Well an M5 is what? 5 years old now? And it is about to have 50 ponies added. I love it when car rags pit a brand new car against one that is nearing EOL. In 6 months the M5 will reclaim the crown for another 5 years.
Well what do you want them to do, pit it against a car that isn't made yet? Or would you rather them just never have comparos with new cars?

When the new M5 comes out they'll "rematch" it against the CTS-V and it'll be a new story then. But in the meantime, it doesn't take a genius to know that they can only pit a new car against a competitors current offerings.

No need to get butt hurt by it either.
Personally I'd take the CTS-V over the 09 M5 and save the $28-30k
Simply add a pulley and tune (probably for less than $3k to the CTS-V) and then will probably out accelerate the next version M5 too.
Then with the $25k left over, put that as a nice down payment on a little roadster or something.

M5 is a great car, but personally I think it's $8-10k overpriced, especially now.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #49
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@Project 808 View Post
Its currently the fastest production sedan to lap the nurburgring.

So i will give credit where its due. I think they did a great job on it, including the interior.

Plus with cars like these will only make BMW work harder to stay on top. A little competition never hurts.
+1
As a car enthusiast, I don't jump on bandwagons or play the fanboy cheering sections. I'm also not a name badge whore.
How could a true car enthusiast ever?

Just think if even a guy like Jay Leno was a little badge whore fanboy like so many people are, he'd own just one or two brands of cars.
The man is a TRUE car enthusiast and loves all kinds of cars for what they are and respects them for what they are and what each can do.

This "all hail the ///M badge" stuff and all else stinks (no matter how good it really is) mentality is so funny.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #50
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
Wow. This thread takes the BMW fanbois to an entirely new level. Give credit where credit is due. GM did a fine job with the new CTS line....V included.

Quite honestly, all the CTS-V bashing makes me want to .

This is the same crap that went on with the C63 AMG.

Grow up.

Should of read this post of yours before I responded above.
It's amazing the childish fanboy name whores around here.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #51
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
+1

This "all hail the ///M badge" stuff and all else stinks (no matter how good it really is) mentality is so funny.
I agree and as this is the first BMW I've ever owned I can hardly be called a fanboy. However, the fact the I and the majority of people on here think that the CTS is a complete vomit fest has nothing to do with the M3. It's a vomit fest compared to any car I can think of.

At least the Vette looks good as well as going fast. It might have a tatty interior but at least the rest of us don't get subjected to looking at that every time we see one.

Just because you don't like a particular car and voice it in a thread doesn't make you a fanboy.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #52
rapistwit
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT-R, Cayenne GTS, GT3 order

Quote:
Well what do you want them to do, pit it against a car that isn't made yet? Or would you rather them just never have comparos with new cars?

When the new M5 comes out they'll "rematch" it against the CTS-V and it'll be a new story then. But in the meantime, it doesn't take a genius to know that they can only pit a new car against a competitors current offerings.

No need to get butt hurt by it either.
Personally I'd take the CTS-V over the 09 M5 and save the $28-30k
Simply add a pulley and tune (probably for less than $3k to the CTS-V) and then will probably out accelerate the next version M5 too.
Then with the $25k left over, put that as a nice down payment on a little roadster or something.

M5 is a great car, but personally I think it's $8-10k overpriced, especially now.

It perfectly fair to pit it against the M5. All I'm saying is there's not much to gloat about when you barely beat a 5 year old car.
It would have been like comparing the newest RS4, right when it was introduced, against an E46 M3 since the Audi arrived almost a year before the newest M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #53
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

^^+1

....But ya know BMW aint gonna take a loss like this. They're gonna fight back for the title.....And we all know they'll end up winning again.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #54
MMXIII 650i GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F06 650i GC

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
In regards to the CTS interior, it looks good - not great - but the fit and finish isnt there. I bought an 08' CTS (fully loaded DI) in January 2008, and didnt even keep the car for 2 years (I had planned 3-4 years). As much as they (both GM and the dealer) tried to get things to not sqeak and rattle, it just wasnt going to happen. Combine that with some faulty electronics, and brakes that squealed so loudly people would stare at me at stoplights, and you get a car that just doesnt quite cut it. And once I added a JL W6, the interior was finished. Every time I turned up the bass, rattles started getting so loud they began to drown out the music. Eventually, I was so jaded with the Caddy and GM that I decided to switch to something else.

Needless to say, I am *much* happier with my new E92 M3 - light years ahead in the quality department. Not to mention styling/performance/handling...

Thats my .02
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #55
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Little bit of a difference between a normal GM service department and Cadillac's
Cadillac's have historically been owned by middle aged and older folk.
They are not the demographics to be treated like crap by service people and continue buying their cars.
Cadillac has made big strides in the past 5-6 years.
Celebrities and even psudeo-celebrities and well off rich folk by Cadillac Escalades in droves.
You think a young diva, or rapper, or sport athlete driving an scalde is going to accept crappy dealer treatment?
True the big stars with Escalades will have "people" to service the cars, but many, many more that don't make millions but still make very good livings don't have assistants to do that, they take their cars in themselves.

As for interiors, hate to say it, but BMW ain't no Audi. Can't really be hating on Cadillac's interiors when BMW's own isn't anything special.
i think the cts-v interior is good quality, a bit spaceship over the top, but fitting of the price, not out of this world but at least appropriate. my main beef, is when people say audi has the best interiors....i hate audi interiors, am i alone? maybe not hate, but far from my favorite, they may be high quality, but they are bland and boring, unless you take red or saddle, but still, just the buttons and all that. benz makes my favorite interior, c-class excluded., my m3 has a nice interior, center stack could be better, but thats it.
rant done, but imho, audi is not the top interior.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #56
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Funny thing is this car is respected on M5board. A little more mature folks over there.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #57
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapistwit View Post
It perfectly fair to pit it against the M5. All I'm saying is there's not much to gloat about when you barely beat a 5 year old car.
Sure you can, when the car costs $28-30k less!

The CTS-V is cheaper than e39 M5.
Think about that, you can get the CTS-V that beats the current M5 (though only by a bit to be sure) for less money than what someone had to pay for a new M5 9 years ago!!!

Or, you could look at it in these terms:
The 2009 CTS-V is $2000 cheaper than the BMW 550i (and that's just the BASE price).
The BMW 550i loaded up can be like $7-8k more than the CTS-V.
Now lets be honest, if you were looking at spending $65k on a car, would you rather have a moderately equipped BMW 550i that will get it's butt kicked by a 335i in any performance category you choose, or have a pretty loaded CTS-V that will completely embarrass it's equally priced 550i, and still edge out the M5 as well.
Makes the CTS-V pretty desirable if you ask me, even if you have to give up a bit of interior quality.

I think that's a pretty good achievement personally, even if it's interior is not Audi perfect.

BTW, I was just behind a new CTS-V literally 30 minutes ago.
I think it looks pretty bad-@ss.
Just wish it was 10% smaller in size (like the old CTS-V size).
I'll be really happy when car manufacturers STOP making each new model bigger and bigger. I've asked for that to stop for years now. Thankfully I think that time has come, with stricter EPA fuel economy regs they are bound to start decreasing in size now.

Last edited by Driver72; 06-10-2009 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #58
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Funny thing is this car is respected on M5board. A little more mature folks over there.
Not surprising really. Hard not too respect a kick-ass car that has the performance the CTS-V has and costs only $60k.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #59
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

Before I bought my M3, I was really out and about trying any random car that might peek my interest. Did anyone else have issues getting reasonable service from the sales department of these GM/Cadillac dealers? I don't want to be harassed by sales but I felt lucky just to get a hello or head nod. It's not like I showed up dressed as a hobo or pulled up in a VW Sirocco. This is business attire and Porsche or Jaguar and I couldn't even get a "Good Afternoon". Anyhow... that's just my rant...

When Cadillac released the new CTS, I was very interested. I actually really liked the stying cues. So "Pimp".The interior left something to be desired but was a vast improvement. If BMW was a 6 or 7, the Cadillac was just a step below in my eyes. They got the general idea right and had good intentions, but were still lacking the finer points.

I wish I could comment on the ride but I couldn't even get a brochure. I'd be happy to swap cars with a CTS-V owner for a lap or two.
      06-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #60
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

I'm seriously considering the CTS-V when my lease is up 5/2010. Will definitely need a test drive before knowing for sure...
Personally, I think it looks great, but that's my opinion.
Funny, when the current generation 5 series first came out, I thought it was hideous and wouldn't be caught dead in it...
      06-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #61
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shchow View Post
Funny, when the current generation 5 series first came out, I thought it was hideous and wouldn't be caught dead in it...
Even funnier is that I thought the new 3series, M included, was clownish. How much larger can BMW make a 3 series?....big enough to warrant a 1 series, that's still a fkucing pig.

BMWfanboys bashing the CTSV for being too ugly? Guess that's what happens when you've nothing else to say after a car like that skull-fkucs your brain out your ears.

I owned an '05 CTS-V...absolutely loved the "idea" of the car...a 4door Vette with a manual tranny and the lovely LS6 motor. Mod that car, like all you guys mod your cars...like everyone mods their cars, and the performance is unreal. Fantastic brakes, fantastic handling (yep it was quite impressive with stiffer springs/bushings). But it broke diffs, leaked out the tranny and the drivetrain clunked....enough that I lemon-lawed the car.

My current '08 M3, with manual tranny, is what that car wanted to be. A powerful, well handling coupe/sedan that works as well going to work with a suit on as it does showing up at a track-day. Go to a wedding or an autox and it's all business. I really think the E9X M3 is the best car I've ever owned. But it's big, heavy, a little "too luxury"...and the brakes are a little low-end for such an expensive car. It's become what the M5 should be...and the 1series should really be the 3series.

The new CTS-V...it is a monster. Do the usual mods, that everyone does to all their cars that are boosted, and you add significant HP. Enough that the new M5 will still be an overpriced pig-heavy executive-status symbol that can't compete on the Ring. Yep...I said it...the Ring. If the current M5 was so good, it'd be able to compete on the Ring but it can't...too fkucing big and out dikced by the V. The new one is still going to be too fat...no amount of power will help that. Meh...the 5series is disgusting...M5 looks like an old man's car.

I wouldn't buy the V as my track car, I'd buy it for my daily driver...pull in to work with all the AMGpussies and BMWfanboys who've never done anything other than "highway pulls" and take them on client calls...the long way with the twisties...and make them piss their pants of their $1000 suits (yeah, plastic on the passenger seats may cause some concern for them).
Yep...basic mods on that car will yield over 600hp and more than DOUBLE the torque of my current M3. 600hp...manual tranny...active handling...room for the family...and faster than the M5 around the Ring...OUCH!!!!

Did that help even out the BMW>CTS-V sentiment?...

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #62
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Exactly, immature fanboys over here who grew up thinking BMW could do no wrong. These are the people we all laugh at while out and about.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #63
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

Ok end thread

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #64
camcar33
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
Even funnier is that I thought the new 3series, M included, was clownish. How much larger can BMW make a 3 series?....big enough to warrant a 1 series, that's still a fkucing pig.

BMWfanboys bashing the CTSV for being too ugly? Guess that's what happens when you've nothing else to say after a car like that skull-fkucs your brain out your ears.

I owned an '05 CTS-V...absolutely loved the "idea" of the car...a 4door Vette with a manual tranny and the lovely LS6 motor. Mod that car, like all you guys mod your cars...like everyone mods their cars, and the performance is unreal. Fantastic brakes, fantastic handling (yep it was quite impressive with stiffer springs/bushings). But it broke diffs, leaked out the tranny and the drivetrain clunked....enough that I lemon-lawed the car.

My current '08 M3, with manual tranny, is what that car wanted to be. A powerful, well handling coupe/sedan that works as well going to work with a suit on as it does showing up at a track-day. Go to a wedding or an autox and it's all business. I really think the E9X M3 is the best car I've ever owned. But it's big, heavy, a little "too luxury"...and the brakes are a little low-end for such an expensive car. It's become what the M5 should be...and the 1series should really be the 3series.

The new CTS-V...it is a monster. Do the usual mods, that everyone does to all their cars that are boosted, and you add significant HP. Enough that the new M5 will still be an overpriced pig-heavy executive-status symbol that can't compete on the Ring. Yep...I said it...the Ring. If the current M5 was so good, it'd be able to compete on the Ring but it can't...too fkucing big and out dikced by the V. The new one is still going to be too fat...no amount of power will help that. Meh...the 5series is disgusting...M5 looks like an old man's car.

I wouldn't buy the V as my track car, I'd buy it for my daily driver...pull in to work with all the AMGpussies and BMWfanboys who've never done anything other than "highway pulls" and take them on client calls...the long way with the twisties...and make them piss their pants of their $1000 suits (yeah, plastic on the passenger seats may cause some concern for them).
Yep...basic mods on that car will yield over 600hp and more than DOUBLE the torque of my current M3. 600hp...manual tranny...active handling...room for the family...and faster than the M5 around the Ring...OUCH!!!!

Did that help even out the BMW>CTS-V sentiment?...

Well said for the most part. The Vs a great car, im sure everyone here would love it if it only had the bmw roundel
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #65
rapistwit
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT-R, Cayenne GTS, GT3 order

Quote:
Sure you can, when the car costs $28-30k less!

And an Evo costs less than a 335Xi.
And a C6 costs less than an M3. etc etc
The CTS-V is probably a fine car but gloating about barely beating a 5 year old car is weak.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #66
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Eurocharged C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
Exactly, immature fanboys over here who grew up thinking BMW could do no wrong. These are the people we all laugh at while out and about.
+1

I value this forum for the MAJORITY of car enthusiast who post on here information that is factual and opinions which are well balanced and knowledgeable.

However the fanboys who are drunk on the Kool-aid, (mostly the ones who this is there first BMW let alone //M) add such negativity to any car posted in the "M3 Vs" section there creditability is quickly dismissed by the true enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread