BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
SleepyE90
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bavarian

Opinions Please...

Gentleman,
Sorry to make another DCT vs. 6MT post, but I must.
I have never owned a 6MT car before, but have driven my friends M Coupe as well as a Jeep Wrangler, and have become very comfortable with having a third pedal.
I am in the market for an M3, really want 6MT, however I am scared shitless that I cannot trust myself bc I might miss a gear on a downshift and "money-shift." Am I over thinking this or is it something I should worry about?
      10-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
walsh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I think you're over thinking it a bit. If you want a 6MT... get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
SleepyE90
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bavarian

wow, bigtime fail. i put this in the wrong section.

mods please move
      10-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
gtrokin330
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: TT

i was in your boat...ive done some pretty bad shifts but never money shifted in the last three years.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

If a lot of city driving is involved, i would go with DCT.
      10-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
///V\3Dude
I Drive Slow To Save Gas :D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, MY11 STi

Possibly one of the easiest manual cars i've ever driven I've never money shifted on this car but I find this tranny to be very forgiven. Only problem is the grinding from 1st to 2nd if you let the clutch out too fast.
      10-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

You're overthinking it. Get a 6mt.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

You won't make a 'money shift' unless you're driving the car like a maniac. If you take your time to become familiar with the car before such antics, you should be perfectly fine even with unintended shifts (2nd instead of 4th, etc). It's when you're shifting at redline that it becomes an issue. Get the 6MT; a lot more fun to drive if you like full involvement, but it's a tad slower than DCT, if you care. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

What is a "money shift"?...... GET THE 6MT! I had never driven a MT before I drove mine home from the lot. I stalled it probably 7 times on the way home from the dealer. I was a pro by the third day! The only way to get better is to practice often. I even race my car now with the BMWCCA. I have my new M3 on order and I definitely got the 6mt. It makes it a real drivers car where as the DCT makes it a real race car IMO. Even when I have to shift it traffic I still never regret getting the 6mt. No offense to the DCT guys, but I just think it feels too much like automatic to really enjoy the car. Bottom line, if you want the fastest car then get the DCT with CF roof. If you want a drivers car for enjoyment then get the 6mt and sunroof.
      10-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
z4ps
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 M4

Can't go wrong with either one.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
What is a "money shift"?...... GET THE 6MT! I had never driven a MT before I drove mine home from the lot. I stalled it probably 7 times on the way home from the dealer. I was a pro by the third day! The only way to get better is to practice often. I even race my car now with the BMWCCA. I have my new M3 on order and I definitely got the 6mt. It makes it a real drivers car where as the DCT makes it a real race car IMO. Even when I have to shift it traffic I still never regret getting the 6mt. No offense to the DCT guys, but I just think it feels too much like automatic to really enjoy the car. Bottom line, if you want the fastest car then get the DCT with CF roof. If you want a drivers car for enjoyment then get the 6mt and sunroof.

A money shift is when instead of doing a 3-4 shift when driving and shifting aggressively, you do a 3-2 shift. Under WOT, youll redline, go into limp, burn a whole lot of oil, and probably bend some valves etc. It is called a money shift because it is not warrantied by the dealer and will cost a whole lot of money.

If you're careful. practice shifting and know what youre doing before going out and driving that aggressively, you'll be fine. The few that I know that beat on their cars like know other and have 6mt never had a problem, because of experience. Just be careful and diligent in what youre doing.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4ps View Post
Can't go wrong with either one.
Seriously!!

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 05:36 AM   #13
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Since your asking for opinions...

1. I've owned autos and SMG and DCT now
2. Automatics piss me off, I went with SMG because its a very fast shifting amazing setup with the "ability" to be set to an " auto " mode.
3. 6MT is cheaper than the DCT lol, thats the only good thingabout the 6MT, oh and the 6mt wont have issues later on if the DCT would because of more parts.

In short

DCT: Made for racing and auto-like driving
6MT: This tranny is only for the people whom still think they can shift faster then a DCT would. (joke)

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #14
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
A money shift is when instead of doing a 3-4 shift when driving and shifting aggressively, you do a 3-2 shift. Under WOT, youll redline, go into limp, burn a whole lot of oil, and probably bend some valves etc. It is called a money shift because it is not warrantied by the dealer and will cost a whole lot of money.

If you're careful. practice shifting and know what youre doing before going out and driving that aggressively, you'll be fine. The few that I know that beat on their cars like know other and have 6mt never had a problem, because of experience. Just be careful and diligent in what youre doing.
haven't heard of going 3 to 4 and getting 2 accidently but i guess it can happen. most common is downshifting from 5th into 4th and accidently grabbing 2nd because driver forces it. i had a student on buttonwillow do this by accident. luckily i popped the shifter into neutral before he fully let out the clutch pedal and we didn't fly off the track.

go for 6MT. its a dying art form and I think learning how to shift a manual transmission car smoothly and efficiently also teaches you to be more smooth with the other pedals in the car and steering input.

and to avoid money shift, just remember whenever going to 3rd or 4th, let the shifter go to its neutral position first then just push straight up or down. all movements should be light. nothing forced.
      10-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #15
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

oh also, no joystick shifting. this also makes your shifts less precise. place palm over the shifter. when going 1-2, rotate your palm a little clockwise and pull the shifter closer to you. opposite for 5-6. of course thats assuming the shifter is to your right.