BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
BigMacSmallFries
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M5C 911 Turbo F430 GT3 RS

Question about Plasti-Dip Clear coat

Hey guys,

So I'm looking into plasti-dip for my 359Ms and I need some help trying to achieve a certain amount of shininess to the black colour. I'm trying to get a border-line satin to semi-gloss finish if that makes any sense. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Clear coat (not the Glossifier) from the company?

Now assuming we're going from a flat black to a shiny black, the following is what would fall into each category. I'm trying to get an intermediate amount of shine.

Matte black: This would be a flat black
Satin black: This is what the ZCP 359Ms look like
----> This is how I want my wheels to look like <----
Gloss-black: This is a shiny refletive black

So I want a semi-gloss that is more glossy than the satin finish on the OEM M3 GTS but not quite glossy. So, has anyone experimented with the Clear coat sprayed on top of the black instead of the glossifer? I'm wondering if it will give me the slight bit of shine I am looking for.

Not sure if the clear coat gives the black a slight glossy coating or not. I may be just wasting my time asking this question.

Any insight to this question would be appreciated, not sure if my question is easy to follow.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
BigMacSmallFries
First Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, and I know I can add one coat of Glossifier to get that slight bit of shine I'm looking for, however the Glossifier is not available in Canada. Apparently it's on Canada's dangerous explosives list, which is why I'm asking about the clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
BigMacSmallFries
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, searched the net. Found out the Plasti-dip clear coat will make the black hazy in appearence.

I'm going to look into other options.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

Just get the glossifier and only put like 2 coats on top of 4 coats of plastidip. Make sure to read the label of the glossifier as it needs longer drying times. My friend used duplicator clear coat and I used glossifier, we both think mine looks nicer lol
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
BigMacSmallFries
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelgy View Post
Just get the glossifier and only put like 2 coats on top of 4 coats of plastidip. Make sure to read the label of the glossifier as it needs longer drying times. My friend used duplicator clear coat and I used glossifier, we both think mine looks nicer lol
Thanks, unfortunately, the glossifier is not sold in Canada. I think I will have to buy that Duplicolour spray and put a couple of coats on.

My car is completely black and mineral white --Performance kidney grilles, and side grilles, CF roof, CF vorsteiner from lip, painted reflectors, OEM BMW CF mirror caps, OEM BMW CF rear spoiler, rear Arkym CF diffuser....

Do you think the matte finish on the wheels will clash with these parts since they are a different shade of blackIf I use the Duplicolor clear coat do you think it would match these parts? I have mineral white paint, and I've never seen Plasti-Dip in person before, I just have 5 cans sitting in my garage. I'm asking you since you may know, will it look tacky on my car?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0