BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #67
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Very nice purchase man!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #68
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Very nice! Test Drove a base c6 before the m3 but in the end I wanted more space for a DD. Did love the torque though.

I have high hopes for the c7 to have a much better interior. GM proved they can do it in the cts-v so why not the vette.
      02-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #69
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
hi, tell me about the driving dynamics compared to the M3 if you would please.

As a DD

crusing on the highway
passing on the highway, pulling out and stomping on it.... do you loose the back end?
low RPM pull must be great, so much nicer than the M3
overall daily driving impressions.
cornering - transitions, (does it understeer or push like the m3 does (albeit slightly), turn in quickness.....
what about your confidence. The BMW instills a lot of confidence in stability and safety.... do you loose some of that?

On the track - if you have taken it there yet....

speed, turn in, cornering, braking.....

I have been thinking of going to a M3 or a GS vette

thanks
I'll answer from the perspecive of having owned C5 and C6 ZO6s, two E46 M3s, and now an E92 M3, with a lot of track expience in all. Most folks will find the M3 a more satisfying daily driver, with a lot more utility (sedan vs. sports car). The M3 is a very competent sports sedan in handling, and with good power. I think most would say the quality of materials and build are better in the M3, although my opinion is, that difference is small when comparing the current generation cars.

As for the performance criteria you question, the ZO6 leaves the M3 far behind, not even close, and I would suspect the GS is not that different. The power difference is obvious, and the Vette's handling is more neutral (although the current series M3 is closer). It has all the advantages one would expect in a lighter, lower, more powerful sports car when compared to a sedan.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #70
Arkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Congrats,

I am new here (first post) I have done just the opposite as you. I have gone from an 08 ZO6 to an E93. I can't argue your assesment of the Vette. I see you like the shifting in the Vette. One mod I can reccomend is the MGW Shifter.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #71
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

Wow - I'm shocked to see all the love for the Vette.

Before my M5, I enjoyed my C6Z06 - totally took a lot of fun out of the V10. Especially the fact that it has no torque. My E92 M3 feels torquey after driving the E60M5 for 2 years.

On a track, performance-wise (not just in a straight line) the Z06 walks all over the M cars... It's kinda funny really when you think about how much of a premium we pay for these porky M-cars.

With all that said, when you add up all the variables...I have serious stress thinking of selling my M5. It's the best car I have ever owned. While the Vette was faster, the fit and finish really bugged me. Brutally fast, yes - but I didn't love all of the aspects of the car - just the performance. And I didn't feel that the steering feel and the manners of the car at high speeds were quite as confident or as palpable as the M cars.

It's a tough call - there are so many good cars out there. The Vettes are great. I also love the M cars too and have been happy to have experienced them all.

Oh yeah - and one more thing. The Vette is the most practical supercar out there. You DO have room for 2 or 3 sets of clubs, you can afford to drive it, gas is cheap and it's the kind of car you don't mind putting miles on.....

Do I sound bipolar? lol. I hope I don't get bored too quickly of my E92 m3!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #72
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Before my '08 e92m3, I had a '04 c5z06. If I didnt need the space, I'd own a vette. I really dont like the interior in the c6, looks very cheap to me, and I dont really like how they programmed out the rawness in the new car compared to my c5. I have a bit of experience on track with the c6z06 (friend and I used to swap cars), but I havent been in the GS yet. What is it like compared to the z06? I do like the look of the grey/maroon stripe..

I am actually strongly considering buying back my c5 (I know where it is), and then doing a few K in work to it for fun..

But the M3 is a really nice car. Its one of those cars you just need to own for a while to fully appreciate. Its a nice place to be, continues to delight, and even though its not perfect at any one thing, it is really good at most things. Agree with most of your comments except maybe low end grunt. I know it doesnt have the brutal feel the vettes have and it may seem down on power but its actually quite fast if you watch the needle slide past 60, the car just hides it. I modded my exhaust to get some of that excitement back, and it does the trick for sure.

A lot of people complain about the idrive, and I can see why, but its not that bad. You learn the shortcuts over time and I do like the nerd factor of it.

The vette has character, and the m3 is just really well executed. Whatever way you go, you're not making a mistake. Both are really great cars in their own way and worth the 50K.
      02-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #73
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Before my '08 e92m3, I had a '04 c5z06. If I didnt need the space, I'd own a vette. I really dont like the interior in the c6, looks very cheap to me, and I dont really like how they programmed out the rawness in the new car compared to my c5. I have a bit of experience on track with the c6z06 (friend and I used to swap cars), but I havent been in the GS yet. What is it like compared to the z06? I do like the look of the grey/maroon stripe..

I am actually strongly considering buying back my c5 (I know where it is), and then doing a few K in work to it for fun..

But the M3 is a really nice car. Its one of those cars you just need to own for a while to fully appreciate. Its a nice place to be, continues to delight, and even though its not perfect at any one thing, it is really good at most things. Agree with most of your comments except maybe low end grunt. I know it doesnt have the brutal feel the vettes have and it may seem down on power but its actually quite fast if you watch the needle slide past 60, the car just hides it. I modded my exhaust to get some of that excitement back, and it does the trick for sure.

A lot of people complain about the idrive, and I can see why, but its not that bad. You learn the shortcuts over time and I do like the nerd factor of it.

The vette has character, and the m3 is just really well executed. Whatever way you go, you're not making a mistake. Both are really great cars in their own way and worth the 50K.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #74
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Not that my opinion matters or should sway anybody's opinion but I think it speaks volumes about how good the E9xM3 is when it's being highly considered for "a weekend/fun car" with all the utility that it possesses. It's a damn good vehicle and without a doubt would be my absolute first choice if I could only own one vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #75
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
I was just at the Canadian Auto show. Some observations:

1) Corvette ZR1 was $150k CAN$ -
2) Corvette Z06 was $115k CAN$ -
3) Corvette GS - I forgot how much the GS was... I think was 80k to 90k

The GS and M3 compare directly for price I think.

Getting in the cars, the M3 hands down for interior, fit, finish, just generally nice. The GM cars just don't seem to get this concept. I was really disappointed with the interior of the Vette, and down right insulted when I got into the Camaro interior. Someone at GM needs to be fired.... now. It is not that much money (especially with their clout) to fix the interiors. I am not going to even go into the seats issue with the Corvette - but just every car mag for the past 10 years has made the point. Fire the Vice President of GM interiors... gone.... and these cars will be the sooo much better.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #76
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
The GM cars just don't seem to get this concept. I was really disappointed with the interior of the Vette, and down right insulted when I got into the Camaro interior. Someone at GM needs to be fired.... now. It is not that much money (especially with their clout) to fix the interiors. I am not going to even go into the seats issue with the Corvette - but just every car mag for the past 10 years has made the point. Fire the Vice President of GM interiors... gone.... and these cars will be the sooo much better.
Considering how many things they have gotten right, I also can not understand it. Seriously, the company must have heard the outcry from folk all over about how cheesey the interior quality is and how you could find better plastics in a recycle bin. There are just some things that dont change. I mean, the Vette still has leaf springs too.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #77
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
I mean, the Vette still has leaf springs too.
But that is backed up by performance... so I am ok with that. Bit old school I guess, but you can't argue with the numbers - the Vette flat out performs.

They don't have to do anything... just throw the seats out, and put the M3 ones in.... done. Just the interior feel, look, buttons.... it just isn't good enough for the price. The BMW isn't stunning by any stretch inside, but the quality is just very nice, very well laid out, and timeless. You spend ALL your time IN the car, not looking at the outside. it has to be a place you like.

That said, I like the Porche dash more than the M3.... but you jumped a pay grade.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #78
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
But that is backed up by performance... so I am ok with that. Bit old school I guess, but you can't argue with the numbers - the Vette flat out performs..
I agree but dont you think they could get more out of it if the got rid of the leafs?

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #79
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Really REALLY nice... I love the Vette. Only thing is that it's a 2 seater. Like so many others here, I view the M3 as more of a DD than the Vette.

If I was in the market for a weekend/fun car, I'd grab the Vette for it's affordability and power, hands down... That thing is a beautiful beast. The interior could use some work IMO, but it seems to have come a long way. Still some things I don't like, but it's not a deal breaker.
      03-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #80
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
I agree but dont you think they could get more out of it if the got rid of the leafs?
In a word, no.

You're thinking of old-time multi-leaf springs, where friction between the leaves caused ride problems at any given level of stiffness. They were also heavy. The Vette has a single transverse "plastic" leaf at front and rear, so no problem.

Lightweight, as well.

Last edited by bruce.augenstein@comcast.; 03-02-2011 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #81
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
You're thinking of old-time multi-leaf springs
Ah, no I wasn't thank you.

My concern with the transverse leaf spring design is that each side is not independent of each other. Because of that, I always wondered what effect a compressed side had on the spring function of the other side. (Kinetic, potential energy crap)

Years ago I installed a transverse fiberglass leafspring kit on a Camaro I had. The kit was manufactured by a comapany called Vette Brakes and Products and it was awesome.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #82
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
you can say the same thing for the Macpherson struts on the M3. And how much more then 1.08g's of lateral grip can you get from a factory stock car? I think thats pretty damn great.
I forgot it was 1.08.... the results are just astounding.... The 911 GT3 RS isn't even getting that... so I would say the leaf spring is doing its job pretty well.

OP, your car is really nice, love the colour and rims. If only GM could do the interior they would sell so much more IMO... they just don't see that.

Fire the interior team's ass... and put in a world class interior GM. Anyway nuff rant, love your car.

PS: The Camaro interior is absolutely crap.... I could not believe it.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #83
alms211
Banned
Rep

This dash is $3,800 from Apsis. A full leather/alcantara interior (including door panels) would run about $6,500. Add seats for $4K and you have a phenominal interior. Personally, I'm ok with the 4LT package from GM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #84
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
This dash is $3,800 from Apsis. A full leather/alcantara interior (including door panels) would run about $6,500. Add seats for $4K and you have a phenominal interior. Personally, I'm ok with the 4LT package from GM.
With all due respect (it looks nice), you are talking about $14k + installation in mods. For that kind of money I could make my M3 spank a stock GS. Perhaps even the Z06.

Just sayin'.

The Vette's appeal is in performance/dollar. If the dollar goes up massively, then you're better off with other cars IMO (unless you have to have a Corvette).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #85
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
With all due respect (it looks nice), you are talking about $14k + installation in mods. For that kind of money I could make my M3 spank a stock GS. Perhaps even the Z06.

Just sayin'.

The Vette's appeal is in performance/dollar. If the dollar goes up massively, then you're better off with other cars IMO (unless you have to have a Corvette).
Eh you can probably get interior products of good quality for less, that's likely the spare-no-expense stuff we are looking at. Honestly a good set of seats is all you need in the vettes.
      03-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #86
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
$14K on a base GS (can be had for $48K) is $62K. Just sayin
What's the point of discussing how much of a discount you can get on a particular model at a particular point in time? Who's to say what type of deals you can have on an M3? For instance I bought mine for $200 over Euro Delivery invoice. On a base sedan, that's over $6k saving.

All we can say for sure is that the M3 sedan and Corvette GS in base form are priced within $1k or so of each other, according to their MSRP's.

Quote:
Like I said, the 4LT (pictured below) is fine with me and my cost will be $57.5K which includes Nav, comp gray wheels and performance exhaust.
I'm happy that you're satisfied with your purchase. My M3 was $55k out the door, and I took my wife and son across Europe in it - including the Nurburgring. So you could say, I too am very happy with my purchase.

Quote:
There are no other cars out there (even in the $75-100K price range) that are comparable.
I beg to differ but a 911 S is comparable in performance and miles ahead in terms of interior, feel and other "intangibles".

Just sayin - if I wanted a sports car one level of performance on top of my M, I'd buy a used 911S. The Vette just doesn't feel like that, not by a long shot.

If you want edgy, I don't think it gets edgier than that, unless you go for a GT3 or Exige.

Once again, I'm not trying to say that you got yourself a shitty deal - just that there are other opinions out there.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #87
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
That diamond leather stitched pattern pictured above is ugly as all hell...

The red carpet with the red leather is nice though.
      03-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #88
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Ah, no I wasn't thank you.

My concern with the transverse leaf spring design is that each side is not independent of each other. Because of that, I always wondered what effect a compressed side had on the spring function of the other side. (Kinetic, potential energy crap)

Years ago I installed a transverse fiberglass leafspring kit on a Camaro I had. The kit was manufactured by a comapany called Vette Brakes and Products and it was awesome.
Very cool indeed.

The Vette's leaves are clamped in the middle, and the clamp has some width. I'm thinking there's no way one side influences the other.
Appreciate 0