BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Can\'t add Sirius to 2011 M3?

Hey guys, I was just about to close a deal on a 2011 M3 when I asked my dealer if I could add Sirius. He said that since the car is a base model, Satellite cannot be added.

Does anyone know if this is true?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
pretty sure it is a stand alone feature
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
Hey guys, I was just about to close a deal on a 2011 M3 when I asked my dealer if I could add Sirius. He said that since the car is a base model, Satellite cannot be added.

This question has been answered too many times in this forum: the radio must be replaced to add the OEM Sirius tuner, and only if certain options are also installed in the car. The dealer has an OEM document that explains in detail this and the procedure.

The iDrive already have the Sirius tuner built-in, it only requires a software activation.

This only applies to the M3 post-September 2009 production.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post

The iDrive already have the Sirius tuner built-in, it only requires a software activation.
So if you already have iDrive/Premium package (aka my MY2012), Sirius activation is just coding?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
So if you already have iDrive/Premium package (aka my MY2012), Sirius activation is just coding?
Yes, all it is in there. Activation include one year of service and pretty much could cost the same as the option itself ($350) if you find a dealer with discounts.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Yes, all it is in there. Activation include one year of service and pretty much could cost the same as the option itself ($350) if you find a dealer with discounts.
OK, good to know. I had Sirius for quite a while on my current car, but ultimately turned it off due to programming changes post-merger and declining sound quality.

But this is good to know for when/if I decide to sell or for a buyer, down the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

So I can still add the Sirius then, I just have to replace the HU?

Quote:
Quote:

This question has been answered too many times in this forum: the radio must be replaced to add the OEM Sirius tuner, and only if certain options are also installed in the car. The dealer has an OEM document that explains in detail this and the procedure.

This only applies to the M3 post-September 2009 production.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So I can still add the Sirius then, I just have to replace the HU?
You need to talk to a better dealer, they have all the details.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
ckelly011
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 M3 Convertible, '08 X5 4.8

Adding Sirius

I have an E93 that is "Satellite Ready", and I'm pretty sure this was an additional cost (I'm the second owner so not positive) when new.

I just tried to have Sirius installed and I was going to swallow the $500 cost for the codes and coding - I have Nav so I don't (at least I thought) need any additional hardware.

Anyway... my dealer tells me after quoting me $515, that I also need to have an antenna installed because he has a service bulletin that indicates that ALL E93s need this additional part, at an additional cost of $174.

I'm a little mad at this point because I have a shark fin on the trunk and it clearly states that it is Satellite Ready as a line item on the option list.

So the Service Tech and I pull away the liner in the trunk and go figure, but the shark fin is hollow with nothing inside.

I'm pretty pissed by now and tell them to forget it.

What I'd like to know is - Since the shark fin on the convertible is on the trunk are they screwing us over because it is easy to add the antenna "guts", as opposed to a coupe or sedan where the shark fin is on the roof and more inaccessible? This is my guess and I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences. If this is the case then I'm going to complain to BMW NA and get them to buy me an antenna; it just seems like the right thinkg for them to do.

I'm so sick of the bean counters running the show; don't even get me started on the issue of not having an alarm included in one of the many expensive packages that my car has or the fact that I CAN'T retrofit one because they stopped pre-wiring the cars.

So, if anyone is not going to turn on pre-installed Sirius and wants to sell me their antenna...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly011 View Post
I have an E93 that is "Satellite Ready", and I'm pretty sure this was an additional cost (I'm the second owner so not positive) when new.

I just tried to have Sirius installed and I was going to swallow the $500 cost for the codes and coding - I have Nav so I don't (at least I thought) need any additional hardware.

Anyway... my dealer tells me after quoting me $515, that I also need to have an antenna installed because he has a service bulletin that indicates that ALL E93s need this additional part, at an additional cost of $174.

I'm a little mad at this point because I have a shark fin on the trunk and it clearly states that it is Satellite Ready as a line item on the option list.

So the Service Tech and I pull away the liner in the trunk and go figure, but the shark fin is hollow with nothing inside.

I'm pretty pissed by now and tell them to forget it.

What I'd like to know is - Since the shark fin on the convertible is on the trunk are they screwing us over because it is easy to add the antenna "guts", as opposed to a coupe or sedan where the shark fin is on the roof and more inaccessible? This is my guess and I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences. If this is the case then I'm going to complain to BMW NA and get them to buy me an antenna; it just seems like the right thinkg for them to do.

I'm so sick of the bean counters running the show; don't even get me started on the issue of not having an alarm included in one of the many expensive packages that my car has or the fact that I CAN'T retrofit one because they stopped pre-wiring the cars.

So, if anyone is not going to turn on pre-installed Sirius and wants to sell me their antenna...
Yes, the E93 requires the Sirius antenna... it is the only 3-Series with iDrive post 09/09 that it is not fully prewired. That's the reason of the $500 cost of yours ($350 + $150).

Why is that? I really do not have an idea.
Appreciate 0