BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

05-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #23
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Comparing drop in filters is like splitting hairs.

Which ever one you get you'll probably see around 2hp gain and some additional induction noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #24
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Because any HP gains are negligible. But the biggest issue is not how little HP is gained (if at all), but how much more dirt is being allowed in the engine. The engine doesn't need more air than it can use, and the stock filter doesn't seem restrictive at all. For 2 to 3 HP, I would never give up the much better filtering of a paper filter, especially in the desert southwest, but to each his own.
The just prior posted chart shows about 5 hp. If you believe that is consistent and repeatable... I was kind of begging the question. Even 5 hp is too little to feel but a very good gain/$.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
MNm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3

Does anyone know if the intake charge kits from MS ACTUALLY do anything to help improve performance?
      05-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #26
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
Comparing drop in filters is like splitting hairs.

Which ever one you get you'll probably see around 2hp gain and some additional induction noise.
I could use a little help understanding the difference between what a MS or BMC offer and DINAN. The confusion is around price. I understand MS and BMC to be around $100-$175 but the DINAN is around $800.

Can anyone tell me what is DINAN bringing to the table different to justify the delta?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #27
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
The just prior posted chart shows about 5 hp. If you believe that is consistent and repeatable... I was kind of begging the question. Even 5 hp is too little to feel but a very good gain/$.
yeah no kidding, anyone that can tell me they feel a 1% gain on the butt dyno is dreaming
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #28
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post
yeah no kidding, anyone that can tell me they feel a 1% gain on the butt dyno is dreaming
I agree... I actually enjoy the sound of the intake more with an aftermarket filter than stock. The HP gain is hard to quantify with an uncalibrated butt dyno.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #29
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
What's amazing is some will spend much more for exhausts - some of which give similar gains, or sometimes do nothing at all. Unfortunately, this usually enters sacred territory as egos can come into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNm3
Does anyone know if the intake charge kits from MS ACTUALLY do anything to help improve performance?
Intake scoops tend to make a slight difference at higher speeds, rather than down low. Both the ICS and filter makes for a nice, inexpensive package - and a filter that will last the life of your M3. The intake growl simply lets you know the filter is present.

The charcoal liners in the stock filters are restrictive. Aftermarket filters are not a magic product that will completely transform your M3 into a race car, but getting additional air into the box isn't never a bad thing - and will gain a few ponies in the process.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #30
mike2010m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw m3

ok who sells the bmc+ rpi scoops
      05-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #31
Mike S
Private First Class
Herzegovina
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU View Post
I could use a little help understanding the difference between what a MS or BMC offer and DINAN. The confusion is around price. I understand MS and BMC to be around $100-$175 but the DINAN is around $800.

Can anyone tell me what is DINAN bringing to the table different to justify the delta?
The $900 dollars for the Dinan intake includes the carbon fibre charge pipe and rubber connectors. Well worth it IMO.

Plus my car sounds similar to the old E46 CSL's with this filter.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #32
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
What's amazing is some will spend much more for exhausts - some of which give similar gains, or sometimes do nothing at all. Unfortunately, this usually enters sacred territory as egos can come into play.
But for most (at least those who know anything about say a cat back system) who bother with an exhaust it is done purely for "cosmetic" issues, specifically sound and looks. The weight loss from a Ti system is probably just about equivalent in power to weight terms as the gains from a filter. Any power gains from such a system will also be negligible as you mentioned. Personally the sound alone was well worth the steal of a price I paid used for my system. The difference here is that filters are sold 100% specifically as a performance mod.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #33
jrin21
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: White e90 M3

Quote:
But for most (at least those who know anything about say a cat back system) who bother with an exhaust it is done purely for "cosmetic" issues, specifically sound and looks. The weight loss from a Ti system is probably just about equivalent in power to weight terms as the gains from a filter. Any power gains from such a system will also be negligible as you mentioned. Personally the sound alone was well worth the steal of a price I paid used for my system. The difference here is that filters are sold 100% specifically as a performance mod.
How does the afe intaked stage 2 kit compare too the others ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #34
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrin21 View Post
How does the afe intaked stage 2 kit compare too the others ?
Compared to a filter?

The intake kit includes smoother intake pipes with mandrel bends. While the filter will still use the factory intake pipes. The main advantage is smoother and increased volume of air into your engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #35
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

I installed the BMC filter the other day, the car feels a little bit more responsive and the sound around 3-4K is awsome, especially in 3rd gear (when the car is at speed and the intake is pulling in lots of air).... didn't think a simple filter could change the sound that much
Appreciate 0