BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
HotSoss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i XDrive, 2006 Z4

Black trim swirls, other questions new E92

I just (finally!!) took delivery of my E92 LeMans blue last night since dropping it off in Munich June 9th. Overall I'm pretty happy with the car, less so with BMWUSA's ability to track it after hitting port in the USA, but I'm getting off topic...

Today in the light of day I noticed a few oddities. First, the black trim around the windows on the exterior seems to show something strange I haven't seen before: a cloudy, almost rainbow-like appearance (like water on black oil) but only on the black trim directly below the windows. I tried to search, as I'm sure it's been discussed before- but is this normal or removable? I'd rather the trim remain a nice solid black everywhere.

Second- at the left rear of the car where the bumper meets the body, the bumper panel seems to be about 2-3mm out from the line of the rest of the car, compared to the right side. I've read about people noticing seams not being perfect; this one just makes me a little worried that the bumper may have taken a bump during shipping. Any thoughts?

Next, again perhaps discussed elsewhere- in the options for iPod, is it possible to set "random" as the default setting instead of having to re-select it each time I make a different selection?

Lastly- what is the best way of attaching the front plate without drilling holes? I have the painted plate attachment for the front. I could use this with drilled holes, or perhaps use double-sided foam tape like they did with the Euro plates. I just don't want something that damages the paint or body but looks nice since I think I have to mount a plate here in Illinois.

I appreciate any help you can provide. I plan to post pics and a trip summary with my thoughts as soon as I get the time to do so.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Benjjman007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50iMSport & MP4-12C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSoss View Post
I just (finally!!) took delivery of my E92 LeMans blue last night since dropping it off in Munich June 9th. Overall I'm pretty happy with the car, less so with BMWUSA's ability to track it after hitting port in the USA, but I'm getting off topic...

Today in the light of day I noticed a few oddities. First, the black trim around the windows on the exterior seems to show something strange I haven't seen before: a cloudy, almost rainbow-like appearance (like water on black oil) but only on the black trim directly below the windows. I tried to search, as I'm sure it's been discussed before- but is this normal or removable? I'd rather the trim remain a nice solid black everywhere.

Second- at the left rear of the car where the bumper meets the body, the bumper panel seems to be about 2-3mm out from the line of the rest of the car, compared to the right side. I've read about people noticing seams not being perfect; this one just makes me a little worried that the bumper may have taken a bump during shipping. Any thoughts?

Next, again perhaps discussed elsewhere- in the options for iPod, is it possible to set "random" as the default setting instead of having to re-select it each time I make a different selection?

Lastly- what is the best way of attaching the front plate without drilling holes? I have the painted plate attachment for the front. I could use this with drilled holes, or perhaps use double-sided foam tape like they did with the Euro plates. I just don't want something that damages the paint or body but looks nice since I think I have to mount a plate here in Illinois.

I appreciate any help you can provide. I plan to post pics and a trip summary with my thoughts as soon as I get the time to do so.
1) I've seen a lot of cars lately with this. Just wash, and use a good wax on the trim and it should come off.

2) Maybe VPC work done.

3) Push the option button and select random.

4) M fest tow hook mod is the best one that I have seen IMHO. Can't find the link, do a search and you should find it.

Hope this was helpful, and congrats on the ///M!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Tumbler
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

On the front plate issue; go to the MFest forum and search quick release license plate holder and follow the thread. There are a couple of videos on the product as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

The black trim issue has been discussed before. I have posted about the issue in the past when I first noticed the problem. It's the shadowline trim and seems to be caused by harsh detergents and acid rain. I think it's a quality control issue as it seems to affect certain cars more than others. A high quality wax such as the BMW nano wax will help get most of the color back, but I can never get that new shiny look back. Drive through car washes tend to bring out the worst rainbow effect.

I brought the issue up with my dealer who stated it's a well known problem with the trim. They offered a one time replacement but I didn't want to take a chance on damage during the replacement process. Apparently, it's quite a job requiring removal of the windows.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
The black trim issue has been discussed before. I have posted about the issue in the past when I first noticed the problem. It's the shadowline trim and seems to be caused by harsh detergents and acid rain. I think it's a quality control issue as it seems to affect certain cars more than others. A high quality wax such as the BMW nano wax will help get most of the color back, but I can never get that new shiny look back. Drive through car washes tend to bring out the worst rainbow effect.

I brought the issue up with my dealer who stated it's a well known problem with the trim. They offered a one time replacement but I didn't want to take a chance on damage during the replacement process. Apparently, it's quite a job requiring removal of the windows.
I now got the same problem. Is this trim plastic?
Is it a big mess to replace?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
I now got the same problem. Is this trim plastic?
Is it a big mess to replace?
Yeah I think it would be headache and possibly result in other problems if they don't do a good job on the install...not to mention that the problem will likely recur. I believe it's metal, but I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0