BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

09-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #67
Haduylinhm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHman
I am planning on ordering an M3 coupe with pick-up at BMW's Performance Center next spring. However the now available (to the US market) Audi RS5 is a compelling alternative. Potential drawbacks, aside from brand preference, would be DSG (i.e. DCT) only and AWD. Otherwise both use a N.A. engine developing similar power. Assuming equal equipment both are priced the same.

The RS5 has been available overseas for a few years. Perhaps some forum members have been able to drive this car and can comment the pros and cons vs. the M3.

I have owned several BMW's with my last one being a 335i vert. The M3 is on my short list of vehicles to own but it doesn't hurt me to consider other vehicles before committing $70k or so dollars on a purchase.
I tood test drive RS5 2013 but not good like my M3 2010.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #68
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Same here ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Cool

Like I said...the car feels nothing like that for me. Turn in is great and steering is spot on

The overall package is just phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredBy///M View Post
Yes. I've driven it, and hard.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #69
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

For the powertrain, money and manual tranny, I'd rather choose the S5 or S4
      09-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #70
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
For the powertrain, money and manual tranny, I'd rather choose the S5 or S4
I've driven s4 / rs5 and the s4 handles very poorly compared to an rs5.

The rs5 is a big step up, and has ample tq and power
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #71
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHman View Post
I am planning on ordering an M3 coupe with pick-up at BMW's Performance Center next spring. However the now available (to the US market) Audi RS5 is a compelling alternative. Potential drawbacks, aside from brand preference, would be DSG (i.e. DCT) only and AWD. Otherwise both use a N.A. engine developing similar power. Assuming equal equipment both are priced the same.

The RS5 has been available overseas for a few years. Perhaps some forum members have been able to drive this car and can comment the pros and cons vs. the M3.

I have owned several BMW's with my last one being a 335i vert. The M3 is on my short list of vehicles to own but it doesn't hurt me to consider other vehicles before committing $70k or so dollars on a purchase.
I am considering the RS5 and the E93 AMG (all wheel drive) as the alternative to the S5 winter car whose lease is up....but the grill on the RS5 is too ugly and the mercedes has got to prove its worth. I'll keep the S5 (and it's an eye turning beauty queen) for a year and see what happens. The RS5 still doesn't quite match the M3.........man I love my M3.......
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #72
Crawford00
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat View Post
I don't feel like Audi has the lust factor that the M brand carries. There are a lot of people that will look at the M3, M5 and say god damn I want that car! I just don't feel like you get that with an Audi.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #73
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford00 View Post
+1
Although, I do get that....I also feel that that is slowly fading away a little bit as well with the way BMW is diluting the M brand with an M on everything now and BMW's literally everywhere now.

As far as my RS5 goes, I've had it two weeks and the amount of attention it gets is unbelievable. People stare, ask questions, thumbs up, etc

It's a striking car in person.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #74
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford00 View Post
+1
Although, I do get that....I also feel that that is slowly fading away a little bit as well with the way BMW is diluting the M brand with an M on everything now and BMW's literally everywhere now.

As far as my RS5 goes, I've had it two weeks and the amount of attention it gets is unbelievable. People stare, ask questions, thumbs up, etc

It is a good looking car - but does the average non-enthusiast know it is not an s5 or a5?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #75
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

I too went to look at RS5 the other day but I came away underwhelmed. I currently have 03 A4 and I just got rid of E92 M3 which I drove for nearly four years. Since I'm a car guy I thought I'll get RS5 while I wait for LCI updated M4.

I do agree that RS5 looks awesome and sounds awesome as well. I test drove a fully loaded model. That's were pros end for me. Interior is ok, nothing special, dashboard is right out of A5 the only things RS5 adds to distinguish it form A5 is a steering wheel (very nice) and shifter. Materials used for dashboard felt very cheap especially hard plastic in front of the passenger. My old Audi has higher quality materials inside it for instance. The back seats are also useless, once I set my seat for comfort (I'm 6' 2") I couldn't fit anybody back there. Front seats are also not as good as M3's, no adjustable side bolsters and they felt pretty hard for such an expensive car. Audi's DCT was also disappointing, there was a delay between paddle shifter input and gear change and I constantly would pull turn signal/wiper/hi-beam stalks instead of paddles...this was annoying. Engine, while awesome sounding doesn't have the urgency S65 has. Last, throttle response wasn't there either. This car was worth about $55K to me and not $80K they want for it.

After I was done with RS5 I immediately put a deposit down on a new M4."
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #76
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
It is a good looking car - but does the average non-enthusiast know it is not an s5 or a5?
Can the exact same thing be said of an M3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
I too went to look at RS5 the other day but I came away underwhelmed. I currently have 03 A4 and I just got rid of E92 M3 which I drove for nearly four years. Since I'm a car guy I thought I'll get RS5 while I wait for LCI updated M4.

I do agree that RS5 looks awesome and sounds awesome as well. I test drove a fully loaded model. That's were pros end for me. Interior is ok, nothing special, dashboard is right out of A5 the only things RS5 adds to distinguish it form A5 is a steering wheel (very nice) and shifter. Materials used for dashboard felt very cheap especially hard plastic in front of the passenger. My old Audi has higher quality materials inside it for instance. The back seats are also useless, once I set my seat for comfort (I'm 6' 2") I couldn't fit anybody back there. Front seats are also not as good as M3's, no adjustable side bolsters and they felt pretty hard for such an expensive car. Audi's DCT was also disappointing, there was a delay between paddle shifter input and gear change and I constantly would pull turn signal/wiper/hi-beam stalks instead of paddles...this was annoying. Engine, while awesome sounding doesn't have the urgency S65 has. Last, throttle response wasn't there either. This car was worth about $55K to me and not $80K they want for it.

After I was done with RS5 I immediately put a deposit down on a new M4."
Didn't you already post this exact same response?

Nevertheless, the DCT senses whether you're driving hard or not and shifts accordingly. Best believe that if you're getting on it....the shifts are lightning fast.

Not sure what you mean about the interior feeling cheap....I really have no clue what that's about. Its light years better than the E92.

Finally, if you were actually pulling on the turn signal and wiper blade stalks....you're just doing it wrong bruh!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #77
michaeldough
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Frozen Black

I own both a 2011 E92 M3 DCT and a 2014 RS5. My personal thoughts on the RS5 in comparison to the M3...

RS5 pros - amazing exhaust note, more confidence out of turns and quicker off the line (AWD), more comfortable ride, better interior/toys
RS5 cons - less responsive throttle, less nimble (heavier), no frozen black paint

Both are great cars, both bring a smile to my face, but which is better? That's like asking if I like blondes or brunettes (the answer is all of the above).
Drive both and decide for yourself, it doesn't matter what some dude on the internet says.

BTW, best I can tell, most non-enthusiasts can't tell the difference between S5/RS5 and 335i/M3. Even though it's obvious to the rest of us.

Burn rubber, not your soul
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #78
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Test drove one, bought the M3 instead. Audi is simply boring and unimpressive IMOP.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #79
superflywheel
ʘʘ Comandante
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.50001 E92 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
This car was worth about $55K to me and not $80K they want for it.
^^ this. I like the RS5 but it just isn't worth it when you compare price of its competitors.

Quote:
Interior is ok, nothing special, dashboard is right out of A5 the only things RS5 adds to distinguish it form A5 is a steering wheel (very nice) and shifter. Materials used for dashboard felt very cheap especially hard plastic in front of the passenger. My old Audi has higher quality materials inside it for instance.
^^ this too. The quality of Audi interiors took a nose-dive with the B8 platform.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #80
mdgrwl
Registered
Rep
Drives: City Bus

I HEAVILY considered the RS5... but the carbon build-up, price, performance, and lack of maintenance like BMW made me shift towards a 2013 M3.

Its a great looking car and has some speed... handles okay. But its not an M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #81
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Same here 5 months and it gets all kind of attention from those who know and don't know about cars
Quote:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #82
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Some slow cars

I agree that the MMI is much better that iDrive. I have driven the RS5 and compared to the S4/S5, it doesn't push as much in corners.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #83
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

http://www.streetfire.net/video/bmw-...s5_2203263.htm
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/jer...s-16-episode-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #84
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Can the exact same thing be said of an M3?

Didn't you already post this exact same response?

Nevertheless, the DCT senses whether you're driving hard or not and shifts accordingly. Best believe that if you're getting on it....the shifts are lightning fast.

Not sure what you mean about the interior feeling cheap....I really have no clue what that's about. Its light years better than the E92.

Finally, if you were actually pulling on the turn signal and wiper blade stalks....you're just doing it wrong bruh!
Sorry if I posted this already, my mistake. One thing is for sure I did not baby this car during a test drive. I took it to top speed at least twice and I was applying 100% throttle anytime there was no car in front of me.

Interior could be one of those eye of the beholder things...I stand by my original comment.

Last, I was most definetly doing it wrong when it comes to paddle shifters...I wanted to rip out turn signal stalk out of the steering column.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #85
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgrwl View Post
I HEAVILY considered the RS5... but the carbon build-up, price, performance, and lack of maintenance like BMW made me shift towards a 2013 M3.

Its a great looking car and has some speed... handles okay. But its not an M3.
Has some speed?

Have you seen the fastestlaps link I posted below yet?

Handles okay?

I must have a special version RS5 because mine handles unbelievably. The car has LOADS of grip and steering is spot on.

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/b...-audi_rs5.html

Quote:
Sorry if I posted this already, my mistake. One thing is for sure I did not baby this car during a test drive. I took it to top speed at least twice and I was applying 100% throttle anytime there was no car in front of me.

Interior could be one of those eye of the beholder things...I stand by my original comment.

Last, I was most definetly doing it wrong when it comes to paddle shifters...I wanted to rip out turn signal stalk out of the steering column.
So, when you hold the steering wheel, do you keep your hand/fingers stretched out?

I ask because I specficially tried to pull on those stalks and the only way I could is if I kept my fingers pointing straight out towards the dash. Then and only then would they be in the way.

Now, when I held the wheel normally (like I have in every car I've driven with the shift paddles), my fingers rest right there on/next to the paddles and they're pulled in with minimal effort.

I have an E46 M3 as well but had a lot of seat time in an E92 at the two M School and drove that the exact same way.

Last edited by Liberation; 09-18-2013 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #86
HP_HOUND
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

beautiful RS 5. Congrats
Appreciate 0