BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #45
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1d
I have been a diehard BMW M3 fan for over 9 years. My first M3 was a 2003 E46... I loved this car. Brutal nonstop fun all the time... I then upgraded to the 2010 E92 M3. This cars engine was absolutely amazing and the first thing I noticed was the disconnect from the road. The steering was definitely way different then the E46. I still loved the car. Then at 7000 miles I received the dreaded xmas tree lights and had the first engine failure. Since then the car was never the same... I had nonstop issues and constantly had to record the problems on my phone camera because the dealership could never replicate the problem. I spent 3 years in that car (I purchased the 2010 in 2009) and I finally gave up. I had an opportunity to test drive a 2013 RS5 and I absolutely fell in love. The car looks amazing and definitely has a way different feel then the M3. Yes it is "smoother" in the way it drives then the M3. Meaning you really are disconnected from the road. You can't feel everything like the E46 or the E92, but that doesn't matter. The car instills an amazing amount of confidence when you take a turn. It's truly an indescribable feeling until you drive it. I purchased the RS5 and had the M3 for another 2 weeks and I had the opportunity to go back and forth between the two cars. Those two weeks are gone now and when I see an M3 I sometimes miss my car, but not because of performance or anything else. I just had a connection with that car. I do not regret my decision. Every time I get in the RS5 everything works. I'm not beta testing a $80K car for BMW. HD radio stations just tune in it doesn't take 10 seconds for the signal to acquire. The Nav just works. The Voice Recognition works. The Ipod connector works all the time. When you get back in your car it picks up where you left off... I can go on and on. Anyways since I had two versions of the M I figured I would chime in...

I will probably get flamed for this... oh well.
I would have to disagree with you.

Maybe you had a lemon.

I just picked up (yes my sig is wrong) my second E92 M3 about a month ago. This time I'm in a DCT M and I have to say I love it.

As far as the RS5... I worked at Audi for 2 months and had a chance to drive the new RS5 and there is just no comparison to the M and that S-Tronic transmission pales in comparison to the MDCT.

2 different cars for 2 different types of drivers. I had a Stage 2 B5 S4 as well and an AWD car is just nowhere near as fun to drive.

Anyways... Can't go wrong with either car they are both sexy and NA V8's!!! Last of their kind...

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #46
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I love the way the RS5 looks but I'm still put off by its 4000 pound curb weight.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #47
Windy City
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 IND/ESS modded vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I love the way the RS5 looks but I'm still put off by its 4000 pound curb weight.
This confuses me as a coupe weighs 3,700#. My convertible is over 4000#.
After driving the M3 for a few more weeks, I have realized several things are worse than I thought, not to mention way worse than the S5.

The wiper control is a total joke. Intermittent wipers should be just that. Not go fast when the car moves. Who thought that was a good idea?

The trans sucks, and it has not gotten any better. It reminds me a driving an old International pickup with the E brake on. Step on the gas, get the motor turning(fast) then wait a few seconds for it to come to life. Sucks.

I think the biggest thing I can't get over is lack of torque. Every other vehicle I own feels quicker off the line.

Then of course there is the sin of making the gauges completely useless. The steering wheel runs right through the only part of the gauges you need.
Even funnier is the BMW "shift lights". No one (except maybe a passenger) knows what they look like. Again hidden successfully behind the wheel.

Yet there is all this BS in their marketing (like their Idrive video) about how they use a simulator and cameras to perfect the system.
How about making the Ultimate Driving Machine's only 2 important gauges visible?
DOH!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #48
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
After driving the M3 for a few more weeks, I have realized several things are worse than I thought, not to mention way worse than the S5.

The wiper control is a total joke. Intermittent wipers should be just that. Not go fast when the car moves. Who thought that was a good idea?

The trans sucks, and it has not gotten any better. It reminds me a driving an old International pickup with the E brake on. Step on the gas, get the motor turning(fast) then wait a few seconds for it to come to life. Sucks.

I think the biggest thing I can't get over is lack of torque. Every other vehicle I own feels quicker off the line.

Then of course there is the sin of making the gauges completely useless. The steering wheel runs right through the only part of the gauges you need.
Even funnier is the BMW "shift lights". No one (except maybe a passenger) knows what they look like. Again hidden successfully behind the wheel.

Yet there is all this BS in their marketing (like their Idrive video) about how they use a simulator and cameras to perfect the system.
How about making the Ultimate Driving Machine's only 2 important gauges visible?
DOH!
Dude, what the hell are you talking about? Everything that you complain about is freaking adjustable: the intermittent wipers, the steering wheel position, the transmission shift speed.

Did you even bother to read the manual? Scratch that, just ask your sales person to give you the tour, so you can find something else to complain about.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #49
Windy City
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 IND/ESS modded vert

"Dude" the trans shift speed from gear to gear is not the issue. The trans lags at start from the line like a Allison auto in a semi.
The intermittent wiper adjustment is a joke, just like in my 2011 Mini.
If I wanted the steering wheel all the way up, I would drive a school bus.

Maybe if more people would give BMW productive, honest, but negative feedback on the things they screwed up, they might have a chance at perfecting it.

The whole car doesn't suck, far from. But the issue with the gauges is inexcusable.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #50
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:

DOH!

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #51
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

What is this, myspace?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #52
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
"Dude" the trans shift speed from gear to gear is not the issue. The trans lags at start from the line like a Allison auto in a semi.
Not having driven a semi before, I'll take your word for it. This doesn't sound like normal operation to me, and I would imagine more DCT users would complain about it. Take it to the dealer, you may have a transmission problem.

Quote:
the intermittent wiper adjustment is a joke, just like in my 2011 Mini.
Do you not have the rain sensor on your M3? If you do, then the auto wiper function is absolutely great. If you don't, tough luck, you should have found out during the test drive and ordered it.

Quote:
If I wanted the steering wheel all the way up, I would drive a school bus.
Perhaps you should, I hear they have killer intermittent wipers.

The seat and steering wheel adjustment in the e90 are very good and there's nothing wrong with them. What you mean is that perhaps they simply don't suit your particular body type, or some atypical driving position, because again you seem to be the only one complaining so vehemently about it.

Quote:
Maybe if more people would give BMW productive, honest, but negative feedback on the things they screwed up, they might have a chance at perfecting it.
Retread your post. You come across as a whiny 10 year old, your criticism is not constructive at all. Why, I'm very surprised BMW hasn't listened to you already...

Quote:
But the issue with the gauges is inexcusable.
To you. I have absolutely no issue with the gauges, and I'm not saying this just to cross you.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #53
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:

DOH!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #54
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Finally got to drive the RS5 last night (along with the S6, S8 and R8 V-10 but that's another story...) I commend Audi for sticking with a NA V-8, felt very similar to the M3 in terms of power delivery. It just didn't feel as spirited to me and also lacked that special RS feel I felt was present in the B7 RS4. It really is just a big heavy GT - I wouldn't mind owning one if I wanted a more comfy cruiser. Biggest letdown was the DSG box, didn't like that at all and felt closer to a tiptronic than DCT/PDK. The car as a whole is far more isolated than the M3 and prior Audi RS and S cars I've owned/driven. Seems like it is built for/targeted towards people like our friend above who are more focused on intermittent wipers, Bluetooth and the sound system.
      09-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #55
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

I just purchased a 2013 RS5 and I gotta say...its a badass car! The fit and finish, build quality, technology, NA V8, exhaust soundtrack, technology, and yes...the DSG are all phenomenal! Not sure why some don't like it but you have to keep in mind, if you're just cruising around and not 'getting on it'....it will shift with slower reaction times. However, when in Dynamic mode and really pushing it....the shifts are just as fast and crisp as the DCT. Its a great transmission.

I haven't felt a hint of understeer and the car hides its weight pretty well. It handles great and the electric steering is pretty darn good considering all the gripes of these systems. Steering is solid and heavy. Not as good as my E46 ZCP (but how many cars are) but damn good for this technology.

I still have my M3, so, its an awesome balance. Never thought I'd have an Audi in my garage but its an awesome car and with its exclusivity and gorgeous looks....I couldn't be more happy!

Here's some pics from delivery....

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #56
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I wouldn't mind DD it/using it as a winter vehicle while the M3 only comes out when the weather's good.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #57
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Nice car, congrats.
      09-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #58
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
beautiful car, but I always thought the M cars were much better bargains compared to the pricetag on the RS cars

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #59
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

That's one pretty RS! I loved the adaptive cruise control on my s5.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #60
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks fellas!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #61
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Needs to be slammed! Nice pick up, the seats look kind of bulky.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #62
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:

DOH!

Should have bought an RS5 in which you sit way too high, The MMI is a joke of a system, and the car pushes
in every corner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #63
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

i wasn't going to give the RS5 the time of day, but the red font totally convinced me...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #64
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredBy///M View Post
Should have bought an RS5 in which you sit way too high, The MMI is a joke of a system, and the car pushes
in every corner.
Have you REALLY driven one? Because, mine has yet to do that and I've pushed it hard through many a turn.

And, the MMI is far superior to the current iDrive. Google Earth Nav is badass!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #65
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Have you REALLY driven one? Because, mine has yet to do that and I've pushed it hard through many a turn.

And, the MMI is far superior to the current iDrive. Google Earth Nav is badass!
Yes. I've driven it, and hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #66
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredBy///M View Post
Yes. I've driven it, and hard.
Cool

Like I said...the car feels nothing like that for me. Turn in is great and steering is spot on

The overall package is just phenomenal
Appreciate 0