BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

10-03-2015, 10:51 PM   #1
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slay

Burger's Cowl Filters are pretty simple to install. Very straight forward. I've always wanted them on my N54 but never got around to installing them on my e90 because I picked up a e92 M3.

I searched the forum for anyone that has these installed. There are a few. I also noticed a few unanswered questions for installing these on a M car.

Tools needed:
8mm Socket
Small Flathead Screwdriver (optional)
Ziptie (optional)
Vacuum and cleaning supplies (optional)

1) Pop the hood, there are 3 8mm bolts on each side. Passengers is pretty straight forward. Lucky for us we don't have to relocate the sensor that sits infront of the passenger cover (I believe it's a recirculator sensor?)

When removing the driver's side, be gentle with removing the cover- Do you see the little black nipple coming out of the cover? That's the hood sensor!

Once both covers are pulled... It's time to be shocked at how many leaves/debris is under the covers! This is the time to clean!

2) Many have asked on the board about the hood sensor. What do we do with it? How do we remove it? My dash will always think the hood is up!
First disconnect the harness from the sensor. It does not need to be pried off with a flathead, you will damage it and it will be loose! Once you remove the harness, look for the two tabs that keep the sensor in the cover. Squeeze these and slide the sensor out.

Once the sensor is off the cover, reattached the harness. We are going to relocate this under the large cowl. You will need to remove the two rubber tabs and another 8mm bolt. Ziptie (optional) the sensor loosely to one of the brake lines or whatever you feel is safe under the cowl.

Now the most important thing!
You will need to turn the sensor off or the car will think you are driving away with the hood unlatched!
The nipple on the sensor acts as the trigger. It stays down when the hood is closed. With the sensor is open position, pull it up slightly until you hear/feel a click. THIS IS OFF POSITION.

3) Install the filters- IMPORTANT, in order to keep water out you have to make sure the LARGER SIDE is on the top.. pointing into the car.

Bolt them in. You'll have 2 extra bolts, one for each side. Bolt those back in to the cowl so you don't lose them.

Before:
[IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...pscagumk28.jpg[/IMG]

After:
[IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps7ttawwwp.jpg[/IMG]
Excuse the pollen/dust build up. I didn't clean the engine bay yet!

My review of the filters. They are nice and I can tell they will keep stuff from getting into the cabin intake. My OEM filters were pretty gross with over 60k on them. People complain that the BMW filters do have carbon and don't work. But I honestly don't think the carbon will last long anyways. The filters seem pretty easy to clean, similar to a reusable intake filter.

I mainly got them out of curiosity and I needed to replace my filters. They were similar in price. Now- will I keep them? Maybe for a few months until I finish my cowl cover project (going to be sanding the covers down to smooth and wrap/paint them)

I did notice cabin noise to be a bit louder. I can hear my intake pretty clear (AA Green Filter). I prefer a pretty dead silent car, so I'm ocd with noise. This is the only reason why I might be pulling them out. Now this is also the biggest reason people install these! They want the added car noise.

Water test! I soaked the car with a hose while I did a quick quick wash (we've been in hurricane season all week here). The filters were dry to touch. It rained a good amount this week, flooding etc etc. Still dry. So to everyone that was worried about leaks, they are non existent.

Very long write up for such a simple install, but I hope I answered some questions that were left unanswered on alot of M3 Cowl filter threads!
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      09-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
Great write up...this is exactly the info I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I guess I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of these.

BTW, the OEM ones do have activated carbon. I think there are cheaper aftermarket ones that do not.
      10-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #4
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm
I guess I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of these.

BTW, the OEM ones do have activated carbon. I think there are cheaper aftermarket ones that do not.
They do but they only last a few weeks

Whoops my bad reread. I mean the BMW oem filter DO have carbon.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Hmm while installing these i had no idea here was a tab i had to click in to make it think the hood is closed. Maybe i accidentally did it haha. Love the filters and great diy
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by opihi5 View Post
Hmm while installing these i had no idea here was a tab i had to click in to make it think the hood is closed. Maybe i accidentally did it haha. Love the filters and great diy
how did you like them? i'm considering these.
      02-11-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Noticed 0 sound difference. For the past 2 months i have been driving in heavy rain and had my car parked outside while raining, no issues. The one thing i do like is that you can physically see that the engine bay is cooling better, with heat waves coming up from where the cowl was. 10/10 recommend...+cleaner engine bay.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11584.50
      02-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by opihi5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Noticed 0 sound difference. For the past 2 months i have been driving in heavy rain and had my car parked outside while raining, no issues. The one thing i do like is that you can physically see that the engine bay is cooling better, with heat waves coming up from where the cowl was. 10/10 recommend...+cleaner engine bay.
Sweet, thanks.
      03-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #9
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

If you just do the cowl filter housings and leave the cowl in place, which I think is wise for a variety of reasons, you lose 1076 grams or 2.37lb off the nose. I have no feedback yet on what, if any impact this will have on fart smells or fart noises inside the cabin
      03-09-2018, 01:43 AM   #10
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
If you just do the cowl filter housings and leave the cowl in place, which I think is wise for a variety of reasons, you lose 1076 grams or 2.37lb off the nose. I have no feedback yet on what, if any impact this will have on fart smells or fart noises inside the cabin
I didn't really notice any difference in smell when I switched to the BMS filters, but the in-cabin engine sound did seem slightly more pronounced. Could've really been placebo though...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
Richbot
Major General
Rep

I think you can hear more valvetrain noise at idle but once you get moving it doesn't seem any different to me. I dig this mod for this car so far after driving it a couple days it seems like a no-downsides thing, assuming you don't mind bypassing a factory safety device and can be trusted to remember to close and latch your hood

I don't think the factory filters did all that much for exterior smells. I worry about dust in the HVAC/heater core but I run around with auto-recirc on all the time so hopefully that sensor works. IT's notlike I live in the desert
      03-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #12
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think you can hear more valvetrain noise at idle but once you get moving it doesn't seem any different to me. I dig this mod for this car so far after driving it a couple days it seems like a no-downsides thing, assuming you don't mind bypassing a factory safety device and can be trusted to remember to close and latch your hood

I don't think the factory filters did all that much for exterior smells. I worry about dust in the HVAC/heater core but I run around with auto-recirc on all the time so hopefully that sensor works. IT's notlike I live in the desert
Mine didn't even have a hood sensor...odd.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
Richbot
Major General
Rep

So, update, I'm considering bailing on these. I didn't notice this earlier but now that it's been raining and I've had windows up more and defrost on more, I've noticed the fan now makes a whistling sound at higher fan settings when not on recirc. Not willing to deal with that to save a couple pounds. Working theory is there's so much less resistance to flow that it's pulling air quickly enough to cause the whistle. Trying some things with tape to see if reducing flow through the filters might make the whistle go away. It was whistling above setting number 2 with no tape, now it doesn't whistle until 4 with them about half-blocked. Whistle filter deletes go woo woo

03-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #14
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So, update, I'm considering bailing on these. I didn't notice this earlier but now that it's been raining and I've had windows up more and defrost on more, I've noticed the fan now makes a whistling sound at higher fan settings when not on recirc. Not willing to deal with that to save a couple pounds. Working theory is there's so much less resistance to flow that it's pulling air quickly enough to cause the whistle. Trying some things with tape to see if reducing flow through the filters might make the whistle go away. It was whistling above setting number 2 with no tape, now it doesn't whistle until 4 with them about half-blocked. Whistle filter deletes go woo woo

Such a good video!

I have never gotten any whistling from them, and I use the defrost a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #15
Richbot
Major General
Rep

I wonder if I need to jiggle em a bit, if it's not happening to you it might be operator error
      03-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #16
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if I need to jiggle em a bit, if it's not happening to you it might be operator error
Sorry haven't checked this thread. Don't come on here as often. Never had whistling sounds. Still have them on my car.

If you're getting weird noises from the blower. Your blower might need some lube or is on its way out. They get weird whistling/squeaky overtime.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #17
Richbot
Major General
Rep

The sound changed when I installed the filters. It also doesn't happen on recirc. So it's not the blower. Still haven't had a chance to troubleshoot with the hood open yet, but it isn't obnoxious enough to make me take them off when the fan kicks on for defrost. WHICH IS EVERY DAY BECAUSE IT WILL NEVER BE SUNNY AGAIN. At least I know there are no water infiltration issues
      02-25-2023, 10:06 AM   #18
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Here’s the product link.
https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-cowl-filters
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1