BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #45
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsy View Post
no premium pkg or tech pkg for me and no regrets. I'm not going to use any of it. If I wanted EDC I could have ordered that alone, but I for sure don't want it.
Why not? Active suspension is better.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #46
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
get the tech package for sure.
      12-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #47
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Do you need tech package and premium.....??

Simple answer = No

I don't have either and am completely happy. My car ended up costing me almost $10k less than if I got all the options I was originally planning. Honestly I'm glad I saved the money. Car is no faster with any of it. It's definitely smooth for cruising around town, yet stiff enough for good performance. POWER button is even one option too many. It should come from the factory in the "ON" position. There's no need to turn it off.
      12-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #48
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
As far as the tech package, its a cool package, but I wish the M-Dynamic mode was standard with the VDC. It's the only thing in that package that I really miss. I'm sure it was for money reasons, but I don't understand why BMW thinks that the only people that like to have fun without turning off ALL safety nets, are people who want iDrive!
MDM is awesome. I think BMW's reasoning is due to having the killer feature to up sale the Tech package. There really is no reason MDM couldn't have been part of the base car. As an M car I think MDM should have been standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #49
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Speed cloth just doesn't do it for me. It reminds me of the cloth seats on my 2003 GTi, and I didn't like those either. Now if it was suede, that would be a different story. Suede never has a weird pattern on it, that is so typical of european cars. Leather might not hold you in the seat as well, but I haven't had much of a problem staying in my leather seats either. I think speed cloth, is like getting a tattoo. You shouldn't be on the fence about it, make sure you WANT it. The premium package isn't a bad deal for $2k. You get leather, garage door opener, compass(see below), upgraded trim, BMW Assist, and bluetooth integration.
Says the guy who picked from 2 cars on the lot, haha. Did your GTI have leather and cloth on the seat? You make it sound like the cloth dominates the seat. The majority of the seat is still leather and we will see whos seat looks better in 3 years. I only had the pictures to go off of when I bought my Speed Cloth, and I don't regret it one bit. It sounds like you have decided on the Silver Leather which I also liked alot once I saw it in person and was real close to changing my order to Premium Package with the Silver Leather, but I am glad I stayed with the Speed Cloth. I will call the $2000 I saved a down payment on my Volks. By the way mine is not a daily driver, and I do think that does make a big difference in your decisions. I drive my car purely for enjoyment not to help me get from point A to B with Nav or help me make a phone call with bluetooth. So get what you want and/or need when you buy your car.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #50
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Do you need tech package and premium.....??

Simple answer = No

I don't have either and am completely happy. My car ended up costing me almost $10k less than if I got all the options I was originally planning. Honestly I'm glad I saved the money. Car is no faster with any of it. It's definitely smooth for cruising around town, yet stiff enough for good performance. POWER button is even one option too many. It should come from the factory in the "ON" position. There's no need to turn it off.
I agree that you don't need it. But it's nice to have an active suspension & MDM IMO. I also agree that there are too many settings and buttons. But I think the POWER button should be labeled THROTTLE, and be in the OFF/Normal position to allow for the best throttle modulation. The other modes don't.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #51
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
MDM is awesome. I think BMW's reasoning is due to having the killer feature to up sale the Tech package. There really is no reason MDM couldn't have been part of the base car. As an M car I think MDM should have been standard.
Me too, but it's how it is. Same deal with Porsche and their Sports Chrono package which is essentially a more agressive throttle map (like POWER in the M set to Sport) and a less intrusive PSM (Porsche's DSC). Options, options....$$$, $$$
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #52
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Says the guy who picked from 2 cars on the lot, haha. Did your GTI have leather and cloth on the seat? You make it sound like the cloth dominates the seat. The majority of the seat is still leather and we will see whos seat looks better in 3 years. I only had the pictures to go off of when I bought my Speed Cloth, and I don't regret it one bit. It sounds like you have decided on the Silver Leather which I also liked alot once I saw it in person and was real close to changing my order to Premium Package with the Silver Leather, but I am glad I stayed with the Speed Cloth. I will call the $2000 I saved a down payment on my Volks. By the way mine is not a daily driver, and I do think that does make a big difference in your decisions. I drive my car purely for enjoyment not to help me get from point A to B with Nav or help me make a phone call with bluetooth. So get what you want and/or need when you buy your car.
The only thing my "lot" car didn't have that I wanted was the tech package. So I'm quite happy with my "lot" car. To me the cloth does dominate the seat. Tut, don't get all butt hurt, I wasn't trying to crap on your seats, I was just saying it wasn't for me. I prefer leather, granted I don't think BMW leather is up to Lexus quality, its still nice leather. As far as what holds up better over time, I don't remember the leather in your 4 year old e46 looking worn. It looked fine to me, my Z was 5 years old, and the leather looked fine. So, I'm not sure where you're going with that one. It's not a damn GM. Either way, in 3 years time or 10 years time, I'd still be unhappy with speed cloth, or that I spent $60k on a Golf!

That last one was a joke, but seriously, I prefer leather over cloth, no matter what kind of car it is. The texture, feel, look, and smell of leather just makes the difference for me. Its easier to clean, doesn't absorb liquids as much, and with proper care should hold up just as long as cloth. In certain situations, suede mixed in with leather makes for a very nice looking, performing seat/interior.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #53
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
That last one was a joke, but seriously, I prefer leather over cloth, no matter what kind of car it is. The texture, feel, look, and smell of leather just makes the difference for me. Its easier to clean, doesn't absorb liquids as much, and with proper care should hold up just as long as cloth. In certain situations, suede mixed in with leather makes for a very nice looking, performing seat/interior.
You still make it sound like the Speed Cloth has no leather on it whatsoever and it is some cheap seat out of a Cavalier. I can still feel, look at, and smell the leather on my seats. The middle section from the base of the seat to half way up the middle is cloth. The rest is just like every other $2000 Premium Package Black Leather seat. Now this guy wants to be different and wants the Silver Leather so I say go for the Premium Package especially if you want the non base trim which is another $500.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #54
2fast0
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 x5m

I added silver leather for $865 today.
I am goign to stick to base trim. now, someone was saying hardly anyone gets base trim. why is that? I dont really like any of the trim that costs $500.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 12:34 AM   #55
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

mine's stripped except for the 19" wheels and leather.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 01:34 AM   #56
Sadd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
if you order an M3, it goes like this:

1) color?
2) rims?
3) DCT or 6MT?
4) sunroof or cf?
5) select all other options

if the total price seems too high, you can't afford an M3 anyway.
+1000000000000000000
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 01:51 AM   #57
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
No Tech package, no M-Drive, no M Dynamic Mode, no Sport Plus throttle, no Sport steering settings.
All that, and the ONLY thing I would want is the M-Dynamic mode, which should have been standard. It's also the only option that would be helpful at the track.
I hate the Sport button and love the feel of the stock steering. A guy I met up with who had Tech liked the feel of my steering and suspension when he drove my car.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 02:33 AM   #58
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast0 View Post
I added silver leather for $865 today.
I am goign to stick to base trim. now, someone was saying hardly anyone gets base trim. why is that? I dont really like any of the trim that costs $500.
Because its basically shiny gray plastic. Nothing wrong with that per se but most people try to avoid adding more plastic to their interior.
Appreciate 0