BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

09-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
supertemp
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Looking at used 08 E90 M3, after some advice on the PPI notes.

Hi guys, I've been looking for an e90 M3 for a few years now, just waiting until the stars align, and it's finally a good time to pull the trigger.

We've found one that's fairly local, a late 2008 model with the CIC upgrade and 70000kms on it (44000 miles). I've seen it and it looks great, and paid for an independent pre purchase inspection from our local BMW dealership.

They've given us some notes on it, and said it needs a bit of work done to it to make it a good car. Just after some advice on a couple of points they raised:
  • Steering wheel trim peeling - I think this is fairly cheap part to replace?
  • Tyre mobility sealant out of date - not worried about this
  • Play in the RF sway bar link
  • All 4 tyre treads perishing - understandable
  • Leaks - Diff side seals - Is this a red flag?
  • Trans Leaks - Cooler Pipes | Junction, Poss Sump Gasket - Is this a red flag?
  • Font brake discs under spec - understandable
  • Rear brake pads | discs getting low - understandable
  • Diff noise, turning full lock - from what I have read, and the BMW tech said, this is no major and can be fixed with an additive?

There is also only one recorded visit to the dealership in its original country, and all the fault memory has been cleared.

The seller has reviewed the PPI and agreed to look at fixing the diff and trans leaks, and replace the tyres. The BMW tech (who is not the seller) didn't seem too concerned with these things, I'm wondering if you guys with M3s would see any of the above as major issues that should prevent me from going ahead with this purchase. Any advice appreciated! I want a car I can hang on to for a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertemp View Post
Hi guys, I've been looking for an e90 M3 for a few years now, just waiting until the stars align, and it's finally a good time to pull the trigger.

We've found one that's fairly local, a late 2008 model with the CIC upgrade and 70000kms on it (44000 miles). I've seen it and it looks great, and paid for an independent pre purchase inspection from our local BMW dealership.

They've given us some notes on it, and said it needs a bit of work done to it to make it a good car. Just after some advice on a couple of points they raised:
  • Steering wheel trim peeling - I think this is fairly cheap part to replace?
  • Tyre mobility sealant out of date - not worried about this
  • Play in the RF sway bar link
  • All 4 tyre treads perishing - understandable
  • Leaks - Diff side seals - Is this a red flag?
  • Trans Leaks - Cooler Pipes | Junction, Poss Sump Gasket - Is this a red flag?
  • Font brake discs under spec - understandable
  • Rear brake pads | discs getting low - understandable
  • Diff noise, turning full lock - from what I have read, and the BMW tech said, this is no major and can be fixed with an additive?

There is also only one recorded visit to the dealership in its original country, and all the fault memory has been cleared.

The seller has reviewed the PPI and agreed to look at fixing the diff and trans leaks, and replace the tyres. The BMW tech (who is not the seller) didn't seem too concerned with these things, I'm wondering if you guys with M3s would see any of the above as major issues that should prevent me from going ahead with this purchase. Any advice appreciated! I want a car I can hang on to for a while.
The mechanic is not worried because all of what you mentioned are common problems and will happen to most BMW e9x M3 at one point
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 04:00 AM   #3
supertemp
Rep

Thanks Bmmer. That's what I figured as well, should be picking up the car on Thursday. \o/
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
JDM_CL9
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Original Country being Canada? Do you know from what Province?
      09-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
supertemp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_CL9 View Post
Original Country being Canada? Do you know from what Province?
Originally from Japan.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

Buy it. Then drive it like you stole it. It's an old car. Just like mine. By the way, my car is similar but with 70k miles and also a noise from the diff. I did not inspect for leaks lately.

If the seller is attempting to fix those leaks then more power to you.

I hope the price is good. In the U.S. That car sells for 30k USD or less
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
supertemp
Rep

Bought it. Love it. Thank you for the input.
Appreciate 0