BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Vibration/Bent Wheel Question

Question for you guys, I have done my research but ultimately I wanted to just ask.

I am currently running a set of HRE R40s with Hankook RS3s 265/35/18 front and 275/35/18 on a 18x10 and 18x11 (will be getting a better set of tires)

I had them mounted little over 2 months ago, but for some reason my tires when cold the steering wheel has a slight vibration to it. When the car warms up a bit the steering wheel has less vibrations.

I checked psi and it is currently reading 36psi.

So here are my questions

1. Could I have a front set of bent wheels? (Chicago roads are really bad at the moment and killing me)
2. Could it be the tires being cold that cause the vibration?
3. Will a Hunter balance machine let me know if I have a slight bend or not?
4. How can I tell if my tires have a flat spot? (Car was on them over inflated over the winter) Could this cause my issues?

OR, I AM BAT SHIT CRAZY AND ITS IN MY HEAD lol
Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by mkPOTO; 05-29-2014 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Bat shit crazy.

Just kidding, lol. Get the wheels balanced. That's also a good time to inspect for bends or eneven tire wear.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
RD1M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JZB E92 M3

Assuming it only happens when cold, I doubt it's a bent wheel. I used to have the same issue on my old car when it sat for a week or more between driving, and the tires were several years old (and poor quality). Are they old tires? I would hope that the wheels were balanced when you had the tires mounted, but to what level of accuracy is the question. Hunter Road Force balance would help determine if there's a bend in the wheel or a flat spot in the tire, and help to even out the natural high/low spots to get the best balance possible with the wheel/tire combo.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD1M3 View Post
Assuming it only happens when cold, I doubt it's a bent wheel. I used to have the same issue on my old car when it sat for a week or more between driving, and the tires were several years old (and poor quality). Are they old tires? I would hope that the wheels were balanced when you had the tires mounted, but to what level of accuracy is the question. Hunter Road Force balance would help determine if there's a bend in the wheel or a flat spot in the tire, and help to even out the natural high/low spots to get the best balance possible with the wheel/tire combo.
They are less than a year old lol.. And they were mounted and balanced useing hunter road force. I will have them checked tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

The problem is 100% tires flat spotting when the car sits and the tires are cold. I have had this problem before with my Nittos on my m3. Bad shaking on the parkway at speed until the tires warm up then no shaking at all. Changing the tires will help, but if they're still good and the problem goes away when warm, I would deal w/ it until they need to be changed.
Appreciate 0