BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
super20g
Rep
Drives: TSX

2010 M3 Base Coupe Without Options - Should I?

I am looking at a nice clean 2010 M3 LeMans Blue Coupe with 12K miles. Smells like new.

1 owner, garaged and kept under cover and used as a Sunday drive around town car. He will let it go for 37K.

Options:
M-DCT Transmission
Black Novillo Leather
Sycamore Anthracite Wood Trim
Heated Front Seats
19" wheels/tires
iPod and USB adapter
BMW Assist with Bluetooth
Satellite Radio

I am used to loaded cars with moonroof, navi, bluetooth, premium sound, parking distance sensors, and other common modern loaded features. Plus I was thinking the EDC would be nice to have.

This will be a daily driver on good weather days.

It seems rare to find one of these without any other premium type of options and I am wondering what your opinions are on the missing options?

I realize opinions are completely subjective... Just looking for feedback to think of things I haven't thought through yet.

Last edited by super20g; 10-17-2014 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

i personally wouldn't get one if it wasn't fully loaded with everything, navi, sunroof, power seats, etc....
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Wow, that is a KILLER DEAL! I would be all over this.

there are some people who purposely go for these types of "stripper" M3s.

I would say, if you MUST have those options, then you should skip on the stripper. A stripper generally allows you to enjoy the engine and the drive in an undistracted way.

If I were to do it again, I would likely go with a stripper but with a navigation. Also, IMO, I think EDC is not worth the extra cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
super20g
Rep

I am glad to hear that it seems like a good deal. Still smells new and is pretty close in proximity so I don't have to ship it or fly or anything like most I have been serious about.

The navigation I guess isn't the end of the world for me since I generally use my smartphone in my cars that have navigation anyways, heh.

Glad to hear the EDC isn't that big of a deal too. Realistically this is just a daily driver/fun on the back-roads car when its nice out. I daily drive a TSX now with typical bolt-ons and come from high boost Japanese cars prior and sure miss proper power and handling.

I guess I can upgrade the stereo to be comparable or better if needed. Is there at least an Aux input with the standard stereo?

Having the metal roof without the sunroof is kind of a bummer though.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
Wow, that is a KILLER DEAL! I would be all over this.

there are some people who purposely go for these types of "stripper" M3s.

I would say, if you MUST have those options, then you should skip on the stripper. A stripper generally allows you to enjoy the engine and the drive in an undistracted way.

If I were to do it again, I would likely go with a stripper but with a navigation. Also, IMO, I think EDC is not worth the extra cost.
Strippers

OP - I've seen cars with options and decentish miles go for just over 40k. GLHF.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

I DD and track my M3, so here's my perspective:

- Nav I hardly ever use. It's such a pain to enter addresses into BMW's system anyway (sometimes you need to know the right zip code to be able to enter the house number -- really, BMW?!?!), so I'll often either just use my phone or send the address to the car from Google Maps. That latter feature is cool, but I likely won't pay to continue that when my BMW Assist subscription expires unless my insurance discount for stolen vehicle recovery is high enough to justify it. But otherwise, nav is already starting to look a bit outdated, and the cost for updated maps is a pain too even going through unofficial vendors. The only thing I do like iDrive for is the infotainment aspect; it's a much better system for managing the audio and Bluetooth systems, but you won't have Bluetooth or as much audio functionality, so maybe that's not the end of the world.

- I have EDC and really like it. The difference between the three modes is very noticeable (especially between Normal and Sport) and I like having a firm feel at the track and a fairly comfy DD. However, I have not tested the regular suspension, so I can't comment too much. If it feels more or less like Normal though, it should still make a good combination for DD and track duty -- and yes I'm aware that it won't be EXACTLY the same since Normal EDC is active and the base suspension is passive. I would call EDC a definite nice to have, but I'd stop short of elevating it to dealbreaker status. And of course if you want to modify your suspension later, NOT having EDC is a plus.

- You won't have M Drive, which means no Sport steering and no MDM. I really like the former on back roads, and I like both of them at the track (especially in Euro MDM form), but the good news there is that you can have that unofficially retrofitted relatively easily and inexpensively. Search these boards for more info.

- Not having the Premium Package means you almost certainly won't have Bluetooth or Aux-In/USB. Both of those were available standalone, but I don't think they were ordered that way very often. Bluetooth can be retrofitted, though it's fairly expensive and involved, but there are also aftermarket solutions like Bluetooth rearview mirrors, some of which can even work with a backup camera -- and since your mirror won't have the garage door opener buttons, auto-dimming function, rain sensor, or auto high-beam sensor, it would be easy to swap out. I believe AuxIn/USB (option code 6FL) can also be retrofitted, though if not there are definitely similar aftermarket offerings.

- Parking sensors I like, but I've also retrofitted the ModMyNav.com rear camera. My last car had it and it spoiled me, and I've found it very helpful to get into tight spaces and out of places with poor visibility. Unfortunately without iDrive you can't get that camera, though see the aforementioned Bluetooth rearview mirror option for an alternative. And although (I think) you can retrofit PDC without iDrive, it's cost-prohibitive to do so because you need a new rear bumper, which means paint work.

- I have the moonroof and definitely open it up when the weather is nice. I also didn't like the look of CF with Le Mans Blue and knew that, not being a pro racing driver, I'd never notice the difference on the track. The moonroof does make the fit a bit tight with my helmet on at the track (I'm 5'10"), but I just slightly tilt my head and don't even think about it while I'm driving.

If you can live without all that, then definitely consider it. I don't keep on top of M3 pricing, so I can't comment on how good a deal it is, but other people seem to think it's a great deal. Although I'm surprised a guy who picked Le Mans Blue with a black interior went for wood trim.... But that's easy enough to swap too if you feel the need.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 10-17-2014 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
super20g
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. Jeez, now I have a lot to think about.

I am not in the market for a car like this often, so I might have to hold out and make sure I get one with all the right options so I don't get this one and then spend more money trying to retrofit to meet my needs.

It's always hard to pass up a cherry car though.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
I'd pass, the whole point of a DD is convenience & comfort.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

btw the roof will be a carbon fiber roof. Bet your TSX doesn't have that. BTW, I'm a bit confused, your tag title says you own a M3 coupe, yet you're looking for another M3 or what's going on?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Flamesofgold
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

I had the same problem as you almost.....

2010 red 25k miles cloth seats cf roof with tech pkg(mdrive,EDC,nav,ca)

I bit the bullet and pick her up tomorrow. If it didn't have the tech pkg I don't think I would have bought the car. Not that many manual reds with cf roofs around though. (I would has loved heated seats)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
super20g
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
...your tag title says you own a M3 coupe, yet you're looking for another M3 or what's going on?
I had to enter something when I registered, cart before the horse, I know. Edit: Didn't even cross my mind to just put the TSX or WK Jeep. Ok, Updated.

Last edited by super20g; 10-17-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Both my m3 have been strippers. The purists will pay a premium in the future for one (ala e46). Also the nav sucks and will be outdated. My iPhone and Google maps works excellent and I drive for work. There's much less to go wrong and IMO the single hump dash looks better.

I will also never understand the m button and Mdm argument. It's like when the m5 needed to press a button for the extra horsepower. IMO it's gimmicky. My m drive button = my right foot
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Both my m3 have been strippers. The purists will pay a premium in the future for one (ala e46). Also the nav sucks and will be outdated. My iPhone and Google maps works excellent and I drive for work. There's much less to go wrong and IMO the single hump dash looks better.

I will also never understand the m button and Mdm argument. It's like when the m5 needed to press a button for the extra horsepower. IMO it's gimmicky. My m drive button = my right foot
what about sport steering tho?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
-Ryan-
First Class Privates
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

EDC would be the least of my concerns. I find it more gimmicky than anything else.
      10-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Both my m3 have been strippers. The purists will pay a premium in the future for one (ala e46).
I doubt that "purists" are into a 3700lb GT car.
Quote:
Also the nav sucks and will be outdated.
I never get this argument. Everything will eventually be outdated at some point in time. Does that mean we should refrain from buying anything then because it will eventually be outdated?
Quote:
Disagree here too. I find throttle response sluggish in normal mode, and the steering lacking any feel. Putting the car in M drive with sport throttle/edc/steering makes the car much better to drive on the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #16
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

yeah, I think sport steering is the best feature of the options you can get for the car. Too bad it's not a standalone option in this and the F80.

If I could, I would get the E90 and the F80 without EDC but with sport steering. Also skip the Nav but include CCB.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #17
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
yeah, I think sport steering is the best feature of the options you can get for the car. Too bad it's not a standalone option in this and the F80.

If I could, I would get the E90 and the F80 without EDC but with sport steering. Also skip the Nav but include CCB.
Funny because i personally would never buy a car with CCB. To me CCB on a road car is the ultimate gimmick and poser accessory
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Funny because i personally would never buy a car with CCB. To me CCB on a road car is the ultimate gimmick and poser accessory
yeah, but the bragging right tho...lol. Be careful not to say that on the F80 portion of bimmerpost, or brace for ban hammer.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #19
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
I'm pretty sure on the E6x M5/6 that was there to keep a dismal fuel economy rating from becoming an even more dismal fuel economy rating. But as I said above, MDM especially in Euro form is very cool to have on the track. It allows you the proper amount of slip without stepping in until you're likely grateful that it has. If you're a pro driver who's faster without it and/or are happy to accept the added risk on track even in the rain, then sure you wouldn't care -- but how many people feel that way? Or of course if your M3 will never see the track, then sure pass on it again. I don't use MDM on the road either -- but if you'll only ever be on the road, I question why you bought an M3 in the first place. Yes I know most M3 owners don't track, but anyone who has will tell you that those people have no idea how much of their car they're missing out on.

Quote:

On the road it makes absolutely no difference unless you hate brake dust so much you'll pay thousands in option costs and later service costs to avoid it -- and don't delude yourself into thinking that CCBs are cheaper or even remotely close to steel brakes in the long run because of their longer service intervals. They're not.

On the track, sure it means you have a car that you can take to the track without any changes to the brake setup, except maybe fluid -- but CCBs don't last much longer than steel under track duty despite their hugely increased cost, they require 19" wheels (lots of popular track tires only go up to 18"), and whenever you remove/mount a wheel you risk nicking a rotor in the process, at which point you just ruined your ~$3-4K rotor. The same thing can happen if you go off-track and some debris hits your rotor. This is all why a lot of Porsche people who buy used cars with PCCB end up retrofitting the stock setup.

And to cap it all off, the F8x M3 seems to be a significant improvement in the brake department, so it's looking like owners with regular brakes will only have to swap pads to be track-ready without having to consider a BBK. The stock calipers even allow pad swaps without removing the caliper now, which has historically been another selling point of a BBK. And before you point to rotating mass savings, on the F8x M3, the lower mass of the carbon ceramic rotors is almost exactly offset by the increased weight of the larger calipers.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #20
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

^those are all very good points. When the time comes to buy, I think I'll skip CCB as well, mostly b/c I want to save money.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #21
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
I doubt that "purists" are into a 3700lb GT car. I never get this argument. Everything will eventually be outdated at some point in time. Does that mean we should refrain from buying anything then because it will eventually be outdated? Disagree here too. I find throttle response sluggish in normal mode, and the steering lacking any feel. Putting the car in M drive with sport throttle/edc/steering makes the car much better to drive on the track.

1. Yes, there are still M purists or regular people that understand it's more logical to buy a car w/ less gadgetry used for less chance of failure. Sh1t, half the people here under warranty are worried about driving the car and breaking it.

2. Nav becoming outdated is a real thing no? I drive to clients homes all day and in developments I only trust Google maps which plays through the radio BT and has never guided me wrong. My biggest reason is also that I like plain cars, simple cars. I don't care for the double hump dash that looks like an afterthought IMO. Also my Google Maps app can constantly update and reflect all new developments and addresses being built around me.

3. Steering lacking feel? Really? I dunno, mine feels great but my front wheels are also 17 lbs. which has made the steering even lighter than it has ever felt. Again to each his own, but I don't need any buttons other than DSC off to make the car fun to drive. I don't get the whole programming different settings for driving here or there. Again, I just need the DSC off and my right foot to have a good time ! You seem to bash these cars more than praise the good, why not move on to something else to bitch about?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #22
Minator
Whatever
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT '09 E92m3 sold

Earth to op.....coil overs and a tune will take care of most of your concerns....I rarely use the navi....premium sound is a ripoff... Who needs a radio when you got an S65 under the bulge? I think certain vendors here can tune steering feedback to make you happy....and I was a freak with keeping my extended leather factory new looking in my '09 M3...a big PIA...I have speed cloth now in my '13 and have to admit I like it better.

If you have really found a puff at that price...it's a good deal.

BTW...it a head start to a really good track day car.
Appreciate 0