BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93 DCT

3.62 Limited Slip Differential

I am considering the Dinan 3.62 Limited Differential but I would like to hear from anyone that has installed it or anyone that sufficiently researched the topic and then decided not to install it. I have the DCT but I would be interested in any feed back even if not related to the DCT.

From my initial research I see this as being the best mod to increase torque.

Tks,
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

i have the 3.45 for the dct and love it but have heard of a few issues with the dct having problems with the 3.62 gearing, believe enricobob is one of those. I love the difference (used to do it to my bikes all the time) but the old aphorism "everything in moderation" applies here as well. I find it perfect for city driving where the extra "in gear" acceleration comes in handy but many find it to be a waste of $ and am sure some of those will chime in... good luck
      03-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Take a look at these.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287873
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298218
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Been in a car with the 4.1 for the 6MT... I think it is drastically quicker low end and certainly will be putting the 3.65 on my DCT.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Thanks for those threads. Interesting information. But even the guys claiming originally "don't get it; its wrong" seem to ultimately come around and say "it depends on what your'e looking for; some sacrifice for some gain".

I want low end torque. I don't care about top speed. I never use D mode; repeat NEVER. I don't know why you would buy this car if you did. So the problems with the auto down-shifting really are not of a concern as I define the gear the car is in during all driving.

My 2 cents.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the reply. Oddly I did a search before I opened this post and didn't find those threads.

The threads were extremely informative but at times somewhat confusing. I am looking for street accelleration (like many in the thread) as my primary objective but without losing accelleration 60mph to 90mph. They might be opposing objectives but my main concern right now is this really is a non reversalble mod of which could create some issues down the road should I want to sell.

As for Dinan, I am surprised to hear some of the current issues while driving in D mode but like jmflukeiii I rarely drive it in D.

I am not sure this mod is worth the money at this point but a little more research is in order.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU View Post
Thanks for the reply. Oddly I did a search before I opened this post and didn't find those threads.

The threads were extremely informative but at times somewhat confusing. I am looking for street accelleration (like many in the thread) as my primary objective but without losing accelleration 60mph to 90mph. They might be opposing objectives but my main concern right now is this really is a non reversalble mod of which could create some issues down the road should I want to sell.

As for Dinan, I am surprised to hear some of the current issues while driving in D mode but like jmflukeiii I rarely drive it in D.

I am not sure this mod is worth the money at this point but a little more research is in order.
From what you are wanting, I think it is the perfect modification. 60-90 is not such a problem because no matter what gear you are in, you can flick down to 2 and finish that move off in 3 stock. So no, you shouldn't lose acceleration, you'll just be in different gears. In fact, that move would probably then best be accomplished solely in 3rd gear without a shift in between which might make it faster. I don't know, speaking from theory and little experience.

I couldn't care less about the D problem as I said before. The point you bring up that could be an issue is the resale value later. I would rather buy the car with the mod on it; I do mostly city driving or short stretches of highway and as such a differential (in theory) should make the car much "quicker" for that. Obviously, if someone is buying your car for a freeway commute, it would not be best. Yet I wouldn't want to buy this car for a freeway commute alone anyway...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
From what you are wanting, I think it is the perfect modification. 60-90 is not such a problem because no matter what gear you are in, you can flick down to 2 and finish that move off in 3 stock. So no, you shouldn't lose acceleration, you'll just be in different gears. In fact, that move would probably then best be accomplished solely in 3rd gear without a shift in between which might make it faster. I don't know, speaking from theory and little experience.

I couldn't care less about the D problem as I said before. The point you bring up that could be an issue is the resale value later. I would rather buy the car with the mod on it; I do mostly city driving or short stretches of highway and as such a differential (in theory) should make the car much "quicker" for that. Obviously, if someone is buying your car for a freeway commute, it would not be best. Yet I wouldn't want to buy this car for a freeway commute alone anyway...
I have been communicating with DINAN via email and at least this individual hasn't heard o fthe issues with the 3.62. If they don't know it makes sense they don't have a fix for it. They recommend the 3.45 over the 3.62 mainly as they have found for some it is a bit short. They stress the same reasons that I was thinking of this mod, it provides low end torque improvement where the car needs it for real world driving. If I was tracking I thnk I was just stay with the stock.

Tks again,
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw m3

From what i have heard 3.45 is the way to go. Its a nice improvement and doesnt cause the car to rev much higher even at triple digit speeds. I also heard that the 3.62 causes some driveability problems with the ecu. I guess 3.62 is probably only good for a road course in full manual mode. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

I had an '08 car with this mod and the biggest problem I found was the trans will downshift to a gear that will cause an instant overrev. So if you're driving along about 45-50mph and downshift to second - it will overrev.

I found the car was not significantly faster just a lot a sound and fury to get to 70-80mph. Other than that - no problem.
      03-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy ny View Post
From what i have heard 3.45 is the way to go. Its a nice improvement and doesnt cause the car to rev much higher even at triple digit speeds. I also heard that the 3.62 causes some driveability problems with the ecu. I guess 3.62 is probably only good for a road course in full manual mode. Just my opinion.
This is how I drive, exactly; a road course NeVER in D mode always paddles. I might consider the .45 though, although I'm rarely on the freeway for more than 10 miles at a max. And even then, I don't really care if I'm at 3750 at 80mph, that's not an issue in a car with an 8600 redline (Dinan tune, don't tell me I'm wrong about the rev limit).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post

I found the car was not significantly faster just a lot a sound and fury to get to 70-80mph. Other than that - no problem.
Really? I've felt the 4.10 Diff and thought that car was certainly much quicker to 60. Maybe it was the throttle bodies on the car............... jk, lets not start that again!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Really? I've felt the 4.10 Diff and thought that car was certainly much quicker to 60. Maybe it was the throttle bodies on the car............... jk, lets not start that again!
The diff for sure make a difference in low end acceleration. That is the whole point.

I also use paddles (well really the shifter knob) only but I also use the kick-down switch a lot, and w/ the 3.62 I was afraid of an over-rev in that exact situation. Or on a downshift in very high rpm.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stega View Post
The diff for sure make a difference in low end acceleration. That is the whole point.

I also use paddles (well really the shifter knob) only but I also use the kick-down switch a lot, and w/ the 3.62 I was afraid of an over-rev in that exact situation. Or on a downshift in very high rpm.
kick-down switch? Do you just mean downshifting? And yes, I understand the concern, but that's the same with any car you're driving; as long as what gears can go to what speed is known by the user, there shouldn't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
stega
Captain
Rep

Quote:
kick-down switch? Do you just mean downshifting? And yes, I understand the concern, but that's the same with any car you're driving; as long as what gears can go to what speed is known by the user, there shouldn't be an issue.
The kick-down switch... You have not broken in the car yet so it makes sense you don't know about it.

Ok, so I'm going 80mph in 7th right? I step on the pedal all the way to the ground and feel a switch click in I now hold downshift on either the paddle or shift knob the car will shift down to as low as possible so perhaps 2nd gear a bit past red-line if you have the 3.62 or at least some claim it can happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #16
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The kick-down switch... You have not broken in the car yet so it makes sense you don't know about it.

Ok, so I'm going 80mph in 7th right? I step on the pedal all the way to the ground and feel a switch click in I now hold downshift on either the paddle or shift knob the car will shift down to as low as possible so perhaps 2nd gear a bit past red-line if you have the 3.62 or at least some claim it can happen.
Oh really... so many little bells and whistles in this car! See I don't know if I'd even want to use that.... I'd probably just double or tripple tap the paddle as I do now; I guess I wouldn't drop it as quickly or to the right gear as fast as that auto kick-down, but still feel that it would be fairly effective to not use it. My main reason for never being in D mode is because I don't want the car to do things I don't tell it to do.... i know I know, everyone will say I should have got a 6mt then, but let's skip that debate for now.

But now I see why that would be a problem - similar to the guys worried about their D mode stepping on the pedal and over-down-shifting. So the dif probably would be an issue. I guess for me, i'm still not concerned. Freeway driving is little of what I do, and honestly the procedure for doing the kickdown would take me too much time to think about and in the meantime I'd just be tapping away at the left paddle getting me to where I want. Obviously I haven't tried, but I can't see myself using it much
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #17
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I love my 4.10 diff, and that's only a 6% torque bump... the 3.62 for DCT adds a whooping 14%!

Again, there are cons as well, which have been discussed many times, but for me the "feel" was more important than just numbers and charts. It was an expensive mod, but I'm very happy with the purchase. Probably my favorite mod next to the x-pipe.
Oh I'm with you; I've been in the DCT and 6MT with dif upgrades and they are both amazing. The just feel much quicker than my car (right now). The x-pipe was an awesome addition... I've got the mod bug, and Dinan is the prescription.

Are you planning on putting the pulley on your car? I think I'm doing that but not until I have some time driving my car in the red zone because I think that's really where the pulley provides a difference. Pulley/intake in May, Differential in June, maybe TBs in July; exhaust and tune march, some cosmetic nonsense during April.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
stega
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh really... so many little bells and whistles in this car! See I don't know if I'd even want to use that.... I'd probably just double or tripple tap the paddle as I do now; I guess I wouldn't drop it as quickly or to the right gear as fast as that auto kick-down, but still feel that it would be fairly effective to not use it. My main reason for never being in D mode is because I don't want the car to do things I don't tell it to do.... i know I know, everyone will say I should have got a 6mt then, but let's skip that debate for now.

But now I see why that would be a problem - similar to the guys worried about their D mode stepping on the pedal and over-down-shifting. So the dif probably would be an issue. I guess for me, i'm still not concerned. Freeway driving is little of what I do, and honestly the procedure for doing the kickdown would take me too much time to think about and in the meantime I'd just be tapping away at the left paddle getting me to where I want. Obviously I haven't tried, but I can't see myself using it much

I was very very tempted myself to get the 3.62 but I decided against it because of the reasons explained. Its really up to you, it will have more torque than the 3.45 but has its possible disadvantages. Like someone in the post previously said, I feel the 3.62 is better suited for a track car not a street one. Have you asked the shop about any problems w/ the 3.6?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was very very tempted myself to get the 3.62 but I decided against it because of the reasons explained. Its really up to you, it will have more torque than the 3.45 but has its possible disadvantages. Like someone in the post previously said, I feel the 3.62 is better suited for a track car not a street one. Have you asked the shop about any problems w/ the 3.6?
I have and haven't really heard any negative about it. I know its a tradeoff, but I'm thinking its one I'm willing to make. I really liked the DCT car with the 3.62 and want it on my car.

I was sort of thinking the 3.45 would be better for track due to more range in gears (staying longer in 1st for example) as you had said and 3.65 better for street because you're generally not redlining every shift, but you're taking advantage of basically being higher in the RPMs, but at a lower speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #20
stega
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have and haven't really heard any negative about it. I know its a tradeoff, but I'm thinking its one I'm willing to make. I really liked the DCT car with the 3.62 and want it on my car.

I was sort of thinking the 3.45 would be better for track due to more range in gears (staying longer in 1st for example) as you had said and 3.65 better for street because you're generally not redlining every shift, but you're taking advantage of basically being higher in the RPMs, but at a lower speed.
Yes and no... Your crusing rpm's will be higher resulting in worse mpg and possible exhaust drone.. But who really cares I average 12mpg so yhea.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #21
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes and no... Your crusing rpm's will be higher resulting in worse mpg and possible exhaust drone.. But who really cares I average 12mpg so yhea.
Ha yeah, I don't do well in the MPG arena and went into this as my daily driving car knowing that. I'm fine with a higher RPM, its actually what I'm looking for so we'll see. I rarely cruise, rarely on the freeway so MPG is going to be bad no matter what I do. Break-in service one week from today.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #22
stega
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ha yeah, I don't do well in the MPG arena and went into this as my daily driving car knowing that. I'm fine with a higher RPM, its actually what I'm looking for so we'll see. I rarely cruise, rarely on the freeway so MPG is going to be bad no matter what I do. Break-in service one week from today.
You must be excited.. I know I was. Shit is ridiculous first time you get to rev it all the way. And the exhaust sound from 5.5k up is simply amazing.
Appreciate 0