BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

EAS OEM Exhaust Mod Questions

Does this exhaust (axle-back only) drone at all? I've read conflicting reports, so I'd like to hear some more on this.

Also, I'm looking to purchase it with the black powdercoated tips. Is anyone experiencing finish issues do to heat developed at the race track for example?

Is there anyone in Orange County that has this set-up? I'd love to hear it in person if possible.

Thanks for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Boxed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

about 10% louder during start up. It has a deep growl pass 4k rpm. No drone in lower rpm. sounds stock under 3k rpm. its perfect.

my quick start up,rev video

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...87601354179945
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed View Post
about 10% louder during start up. It has a deep growl pass 4k rpm. No drone in lower rpm. sounds stock under 3k rpm. its perfect.

my quick start up,rev video

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...87601354179945
So you don't experience any drone on the freeway in 6th gear at approx. 80mph? That is primarily what I'm concerned with.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

You're getting test pipes right???
Was the B&B too loud?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
So you don't experience any drone on the freeway in 6th gear at approx. 80mph? That is primarily what I'm concerned with.
i'm considering going the same route...even with the black exhaust tips.

i definitely like to know about the drone at freeway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Does this exhaust (axle-back only) drone at all? I've read conflicting reports, so I'd like to hear some more on this.

I did the ACM method, mine doesn't drone at all.

Also, I'm looking to purchase it with the black powdercoated tips. Is anyone experiencing finish issues do to heat developed at the race track for example?

I had a local shop PC my tips semi gloss black, no issues at all after 8 track days.

Is there anyone in Orange County that has this set-up? I'd love to hear it in person if possible.

Sorry, I had mine done in Nor Cal, so can't help you there.

Thanks for your feedback!
See above
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

the EAS OEM will drone, period. its just a matter of how much. people really do not understand the meaning of ZERO drone.

a car can have very little drone and be totaly ok to drive with everyday, but technically thats what drone is!

the EAS is a muffler delete, to say it doesn't drone is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
See above
what is the ACM method?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
the EAS OEM will drone, period. its just a matter of how much. people really do not understand the meaning of ZERO drone.

a car can have very little drone and be totaly ok to drive with everyday, but technically thats what drone is!

I'm curious, what is your definition of drone. The reason why I ask, I've heard different definitions of it. My definition, no buzzing, no loud vibration sound. I've had different guys in my car and no ones ever said my car drones as well. Therefore, I don't think mine drones.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #10
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
I'm curious, what is your definition of drone. The reason why I ask, I've heard different definitions of it. My definition, no buzzing, no loud vibration sound. I've had different guys in my car and no ones ever said my car drones as well. Therefore, I don't think mine drones.
Its having engine exhaust sounds at cruising speeds. I have a mod done, its totally fine for everyday driving. but again there is very little drone. i have the two perforated method which deals with drone little better.

the way you have it is a bypass( ACM/EAS). there is ZERO drone channeling system in a muffler delete. I am just voicing my experiences with exhaust over the years.

OP lives in CA (M3 capital) , probably should ask a fellow M3 owner for a ride along.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You're getting test pipes right???
Was the B&B too loud?

No test pipes in my future. I don't want to deal with a tune or CEL.

The B&B was perfect, but I just wanted a change in sound and look. I sold it to another member here who I'm sure will enjoy it as much as I did.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
See above
Thank you for your feedback.

As I understand it, the "ACM method" is the bypass method. I'm assuming that the way EAS cuts and welds would be similar, but not necessarily the same as others that have it done. That is why I'm trying to find folks that have the EAS mod done.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:

This is my suspicion as well. I'm thinking no hemholtz = drone at some level.

My previous set-up was very very livable for daily driving, but there was a little drone there.

To be honest, I'm kind of enjoying the stock exhaust at the moment as there is much more engine/intake noise in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Its having engine exhaust sounds at cruising speeds. I have a mod done, its totally fine for everyday driving. but again there is very little drone. i have the two perforated method which deals with drone little better.

the way you have it is a bypass( ACM/EAS). there is ZERO drone channeling system in a muffler delete. I am just voicing my experiences with exhaust over the years.

OP lives in CA (M3 capital) , probably should ask a fellow M3 owner for a ride along.
Yeah, I gotta get a ride-a-long for confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #15
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
This is my suspicion as well. I'm thinking no hemholtz = drone at some level.

My previous set-up was very very livable for daily driving, but there was a little drone there.

To be honest, I'm kind of enjoying the stock exhaust at the moment as there is much more engine/intake noise in the cabin.
Right....i have done this Oem. exhaust mod. by myself (replaced the 2 big perforated pipes) and i'm 100 % sure ....0.0 drone !!!(and sounds just perfect !) i did this for 15 USD and one day of work ,best thing i ever did !
With this mod. you still have the Helmholtz chambers and they are designed against drone !
But...with ACM, ESS the straight true mod. is louder but delete the Helmholtz and your car.....will drone !!!
For further questions you can PM me
And that's why i did the 2 perforated method,here a link to my post of it vvv
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Right....i have done this Oem. exhaust mod. by myself (replaced the 2 big perforated pipes) and i'm 100 % sure ....0.0 drone !!!(and sounds just perfect !) i did this for 15 USD and one day of work ,best thing i ever did !
With this mod. you still have the Helmholtz chambers and they are designed against drone !
But...with ACM, ESS the straight true mod. is louder but delete the Helmholtz and your car.....will drone !!!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:

I've ridden in my buddy's car who had his perf pipes replaced instead of the bypass and I can't tell the difference at higher speeds between the 2 cars (we both have DCT). Maybe my ears don't know what to listen for, I wouldn't be surprised by it. I can only go based on my experiences simply trying to help and provide some input.

Good Luck OP
Appreciate 0