BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

01-02-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Drone Vs Performance With Remus Sport/fabspeed X Pipe Woth Hfc's And Resonators

I have posted a few threads with the Fab speed installation and rave reviews of the quality and performance of the set up. The performance is fantastic!! Wheels spin into second and third gear every time, and I have 295/25/20 rear section Contis Sport Contact 3's on 20 HRE P40s.

Alot of members have inquired about drone.

Here are a few movies I shot this am. You be the judge.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 04:28 AM   #2
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Sounds very good imo. I've got the EI xpipe with HFC & resonators + Remus Sport. Sounds about the same from the video but of course much more impressive in real life. How is your drone? I first had the xpipe mated up to the stock muffler and it sounded real good as it was. No drone. now with the remus sport, there is a little bit of drone at low rpms but that is because it's louder now of course. highway driving at about 2500-3200rpm's in 6th, at about 70-80mph you can hear it a little with windows up. Not anything bad, but it's noticable, bring up the music to a comfortable level and then it's drowed out. I wonder though how passengers in the back might deal with it?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Sounds very good imo. I've got the EI xpipe with HFC & resonators + Remus Sport. Sounds about the same from the video but of course much more impressive in real life. How is your drone? I first had the xpipe mated up to the stock muffler and it sounded real good as it was. No drone. now with the remus sport, there is a little bit of drone at low rpms but that is because it's louder now of course. highway driving at about 2500-3200rpm's in 6th, at about 70-80mph you can hear it a little with windows up. Not anything bad, but it's noticable, bring up the music to a comfortable level and then it's drowed out. I wonder though how passengers in the back might deal with it?
I think the Remus is the culprit!! I am going full akrapovic now but I think if you just went the akra slip on with xpipe and hfc would be perfect and eliminate the drone
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

Sounds quieter than mine for sure , but I love the roar of mine, very GT3
      01-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
Sounds quieter than mine for sure , but I love the roar of mine, very GT3
I love the sound!! It's the drone at low Rpm I hate and it seems to have gotten worse as time progresses.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

I do have some drone as well but not too bad you can find a sound clip of my car on You tube ,just type in remus race and x pipes ,its the red car, H9 MGP ,see what you think.
      01-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewabf View Post
I think the Remus is the culprit!! I am going full akrapovic now but I think if you just went the akra slip on with xpipe and hfc would be perfect and eliminate the drone
There really isn't any drone with the fabspeed hfc/res xpipe + akra slip-on. I have it : ) You will get some resonance at cold start up in an enclosed area - but no big deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Sounds good, but I had that same buzz/resonance at/around 2k with the stock axle back mated to the fabspeed HFC+res/x-pipe. I was happy with everything else except how the car sounded at those low speeds/RPMs. In parking garages, it would almost sound a little farty and like a lower displacement engine - if that makes any sense. I went with the Akra slip-on and that eliminated it. The Akra also brought back a little bit of the mid-rpm staccato note of the exhaust which was lost with the above mentioned setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Nice, sounds very good
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

[QUOTE=. I was happy with everything else except how the car sounded at those low speeds/RPMs. In parking garages, it would almost sound a little farty and like a lower displacement engine - if that makes any sense..[/QUOTE]

that's exactly what's pissing me off!! The farting at low RPM
The drone is beginning to make things rattle in the car at low rpm!
I'm really happy to hear the akrapovic sorted things, probably would have just bought the slip on if I had spoken to you, but what the hell I have spent the $6000 and it arrives next week. Here's to fart free driving!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
I do have some drone as well but not too bad you can find a sound clip of my car on You tube ,just type in remus race and x pipes ,its the red car, H9 MGP ,see what you think.
Sounds great, but akrapovic for me. I will shoot the same videos with that system and compare. Maybe I can get it to spin changing into 4th!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 05:57 AM   #12
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I got the remus sport w/ gintani x-pipe + HFC. There is drone from 2800-3300, very audible when cruising at 70-75 in 6th going up any incline.

Everywhere else the drone is barely audible and easily tolerable.

I switched out my Gintani race mufflers. Sure there was drone everywhere under 3500, but the quality of the sound was unbelievable.

The Remus sport sounds good til about 3k, after that it sounds very similar to stock (at least from inside the car with windows up or down). That part I am disappointed because I do have a full x-pipe which should open up the sound past 4k.

Also I noticed a power decrease (slight) with the Remus muffler over Gintani, not sure about how their mufflers are designed, I just know the Remus is much larger per muffler. One thing for sure, using the stock connecting pipes will cut some power compared to other exhausts that come with connecting pipes that don't have those weird triangle bends like OEM.

For now I am satisfied as my car now just looks OEM+ and sounds OEM+, but knowing how good the Gintani can make the m3 sound, makes me just wish there's an exhaust system that can sound like that without losing power and have minimal to no drone (especially at 3000).

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I got the remus sport w/ gintani x-pipe + HFC. There is drone from 2800-3300, very audible when cruising at 70-75 in 6th going up any incline.

Everywhere else the drone is barely audible and easily tolerable.

I switched out my Gintani race mufflers. Sure there was drone everywhere under 3500, but the quality of the sound was unbelievable.

The Remus sport sounds good til about 3k, after that it sounds very similar to stock (at least from inside the car with windows up or down). That part I am disappointed because I do have a full x-pipe which should open up the sound past 4k.

Also I noticed a power decrease (slight) with the Remus muffler over Gintani, not sure about how their mufflers are designed, I just know the Remus is much larger per muffler. One thing for sure, using the stock connecting pipes will cut some power compared to other exhausts that come with connecting pipes that don't have those weird triangle bends like OEM.

For now I am satisfied as my car now just looks OEM+ and sounds OEM+, but knowing how good the Gintani can make the m3 sound, makes me just wish there's an exhaust system that can sound like that without losing power and have minimal to no drone (especially at 3000).
What do you think about the Gintani Sport exhaust? I am trying to decide now between Remus' or Gintani's sport systems. I am not getting an x-pipe or HFCs now but I might in the future. I really can't deal with drone since I spend a lot of time on the interstate at 80mph. Been there and done that when I had the UUC exhaust on my E36.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
What do you think about the Gintani Sport exhaust? I am trying to decide now between Remus' or Gintani's sport systems. I am not getting an x-pipe or HFCs now but I might in the future. I really can't deal with drone since I spend a lot of time on the interstate at 80mph. Been there and done that when I had the UUC exhaust on my E36.
Mr Harris can answer re Gintani mufflers. Remus is great but I wasn't planning on doing x pipe either and guess what, you end up doing it. Performance is much much better. There is drone with both. If you just want a muffler replacement that has the least drone, go the akrapovic slip on!! It's more expensive at $3700 but it's quitest of all of them. And if you do an xpipe later, it will eliminate drone significantly. Singletrack wrote above re this set up with Fabspeed Xpipe. Everyhing I read about akrapovic is fantastic, but it is expensive!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #15
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

The other option is to add another set of resonators before the X. I did and it cleans up the sound tremendously. The "fart" sound and drone drove me nuts.
      01-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #16
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I haven't heard the Gintani sport system, but BarryC says the the Gintani sport + xpipe/HFC has less drone than the Eisenmann Sport.

My Remus drone's is a tolerable but if you are always going up hills in 6th at 70-75mph, I would not recommend getting it. Actually many exhausts sadly drone right around this level, and it's just how intense or how much it drones is what matters. The mufflers that I know do not drone are the Dinan, OEM, or Akrapovic.

I would think AA doesn't drone due to their NCC's, but people say the AA's still really loud so I'm not sure if that means it's droning or just it's loud.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #17
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

So is the drone caused by the exhaust or is it the x-pipe/HFCs?

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #18
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

sounds good. only drone i hear is real down low and that is it. from the video anyway it may be different in person

i have the Dinan midpipe and rear and have no drone anywhere. that is what i love about it. and it sounds amazing
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #19
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewabf View Post
Here's to fart free driving!
LOL!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #20
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
So is the drone caused by the exhaust or is it the x-pipe/HFCs?
Mufflers/ Rear section
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #21
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
The other option is to add another set of resonators before the X. I did and it cleans up the sound tremendously. The "fart" sound and drone drove me nuts.
Where did you get the resonators put on ?
Did you buy them and then have them placed?
The done is a little irritating with the xpipe I just had fitted (Fabspeed).
      03-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #22
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav7ks View Post
Where did you get the resonators put on ?
Did you buy them and then have them placed?
The done is a little irritating with the xpipe I just had fitted (Fabspeed).
I had Piper Motorsports do the work. They are a top notch welding shop that TIG welded in a second set of flow through resonators before the X where they have a greater effect. The closer they are to the cats, the more "effect" they have. Ask for Mitch or Robby at Piper if you go there.