BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Caveatesq
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991

Comedy of errors - dealer trashed finish and more!

As some of you know, a little more than a week ago my two week old M3 died and had to be towed to my dealer with a faulty throttle sensor. Well, after a week in the shop waiting for a diagnosis and parts, I picked up the car last Friday. When I arrived, the car was parked outside in bright sunlight and was covered from roof to bumper in swirls and scratches. Seems like the dealer chose to wash and then dry the car with sandpaper. To add insult to injury, the car also now has a ding on the roof above the passenger door, the tow truck bottomed out the car while loading it and scratched the front spoiler and the dealer put over 40 miles on the car! Needless to say, I am appalled and heartbroken. The dealer has offered to detail the car but not much more and I am very reluctant to put the car at the mercy of an inexperienced "detailer" with an orbital - for some reason I suspect that nothing good will come of that encounter. As for the other items, it looks like I may be on my own to pursue a claim through roadside assistance with no help from the servicing dealer.

I am really regretting my decision to get rid of my 997 to get the M3. Yes, Porsche service cost a fortune, but the experience and treatment was above and beyond. This BMW experience has been amature at best. Looking forward to completing the survey!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
sorry to hear man....i hope this car is a lease.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Caveatesq
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
sorry to hear man....i hope this car is a lease.
Luckily, it is. But I have to live with it for the next 35 months and the thought of making huge payments for a car that is now a mess sucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
M3maniac20
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe

Are the scratches going to be able to come out? If not...I wouldn't have taken the car back.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
walsh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Sorry to hear about your car... I would suggest switching dealers though.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Caveatesq
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3maniac20 View Post
Are the scratches going to be able to come out? If not...I wouldn't have taken the car back.
In the right hands, the scratches, with the exception of the gouges to the front spoiler, look removable. I just don't have faith that the dealer's detailer has the ability to do anything more than cause more damage.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Really the onlything you should worry about is the ding on the roof. Which a paintless dent removal will do and you won't be able to tell. As far as the swirls, a little polishing will take care of that. These new cars do not have wax from the factory, so everytime you wash your car with regular soap it will show swirls. Hope this will help you out.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily

Last edited by elm3; 11-16-2010 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sounds like a terrible dealer. They are not all like this.

Complain to the dealer and tell them to pay the bill for a detailer of your choosing.
      11-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

I've had this happen before with a dealer that (at the time) didn't have an auto car wash but instead used minimum wagers who used the same towels over and over so that they were full of dirt. Swirl scratches everywhere. Get them pay for correcting the car from a high end detailer so that they learn a lesson. Be thankful it's a lease - but get something in writing so that they don't ding you when you turn it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #10
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Really the onlything you should worry about is the ding on the roof. Which a paintless dent removal will do and you won't be able to tell. As far as the swirls, a little polishing will take care of that. [b]These new car do not have wax from the factory,[\b] so everytime you wash your car with regular soap it will show swirls. Hope this will help you out.
With the possible exception of VERY high end exotics, there aren't ANY cars that come from the factory with any protectant (sealant or wax) on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #11
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shendrick View Post
I've had this happen before with a dealer that (at the time) didn't have an auto car wash but instead used minimum wagers who used the same towels over and over so that they were full of dirt. Swirl scratches everywhere. Get them pay for correcting the car from a high end detailer so that they learn a lesson. Be thankful it's a lease - but get something in writing so that they don't ding you when you turn it in.
Put what in writing? That it was polished? Really?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #12
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
With the possible exception of VERY high end exotics, there aren't ANY cars that come from the factory with any protectant (sealant or wax) on them.
Agree...
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #13
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

All these dealerships suck now. My dealer, Hassel BMW in NY used to be incredible with service. Now they have a vallet company (who doesnt habla) checking your car in with dirty uniforms. I've also seen the car washers/swirlers using rags that were piled up on the fucking floor! I brought my car there for an inspection recently. All I asked was for the sticker to be put on strait. Wouldn't you know, it now looks like a yield sign.
But the absolute stupidest thing they do is have prompts on the phone when you call. I dont know about you, but most of my calls to the dealer happen when I'm driving and remember something or hear something, etc. Why have prompts where you have to jeopardize yourself pushing Gad Damn buttons?????

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
Caveatesq
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
That sucks man! Drop it off at http://www.detailersdomain.com/... well worth the trip. Your car will be better than new.

I feel like every time you drop off your car at the dealership, the M3 dies a little bit.... got mine back yesterday... they covered the driver's seat with plastic to protect the light grey leather.. well, when they pulled out the car from the shop one of the tech's decided to ride shot-gun on the *uncovered* passenger seat, after he just did an oil change....
Thanks - I already got in touch with Phil at Detailers Domain over the weekend. His work looks first rate. Waiting to hear back from the dealer today.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
I was at the dealer the other day and I saw how the guy was washing the cars. He was using one bucket for 4-5 cars with a long brush (like a broom) and it WAS NOT boars hair I can tell you that. He dipped the brush and swiped the car top to bottom. I almost started a thread in here to advice guys NOT to let the dealer to wash their cars. The first thing I say when I go to the dealer NO TEST DRIVE & NO CAR WASH.
What you can do is to take your car to a professional detailer (you can't go wrong with Phil from Detailers Domain) and get them to remove the swirls and let the dealer pick the bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveatesq View Post
As some of you know, a little more than a week ago my two week old M3 died and had to be towed to my dealer with a faulty throttle sensor. Well, after a week in the shop waiting for a diagnosis and parts, I picked up the car last Friday. When I arrived, the car was parked outside in bright sunlight and was covered from roof to bumper in swirls and scratches. Seems like the dealer chose to wash and then dry the car with sandpaper. To add insult to injury, the car also now has a ding on the roof above the passenger door, the tow truck bottomed out the car while loading it and scratched the front spoiler and the dealer put over 40 miles on the car! Needless to say, I am appalled and heartbroken. The dealer has offered to detail the car but not much more and I am very reluctant to put the car at the mercy of an inexperienced "detailer" with an orbital - for some reason I suspect that nothing good will come of that encounter. As for the other items, it looks like I may be on my own to pursue a claim through roadside assistance with no help from the servicing dealer.

I am really regretting my decision to get rid of my 997 to get the M3. Yes, Porsche service cost a fortune, but the experience and treatment was above and beyond. This BMW experience has been amature at best. Looking forward to completing the survey!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #16
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
No not that it was polished. That the spoiler was scratched by the towing company/dealer tow and that the dent was also caused by them so when he turns in the car and the scratch and dent is still there he can just show the finance company the letter.
The scratch should be covered in wear and tear and the dent sounds like PDR can take care of it. Absolute worst case is the scratch put on the "We Owe" notice and he's good. Everything else can easily be taken care of before he takes delivery. Hell, if he doesn't get his panties in a bunch and talks to the tow company and dealership with an even keel he can probably get the lip replaced as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #17
Caveatesq
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
The scratch should be covered in wear and tear and the dent sounds like PDR can take care of it. Absolute worst case is the scratch put on the "We Owe" notice and he's good. Everything else can easily be taken care of before he takes delivery. Hell, if he doesn't get his panties in a bunch and talks to the tow company and dealership with an even keel he can probably get the lip replaced as well.
I have been very calm and accommodating with the dealer and am giving them the chance to make this right. Just seems like they are only focusing on one of the issues and ignoring the others hoping that I will go away. I will be patient for a little longer and then escalate if the need arises.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #18
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
That sucks man! Drop it off at http://www.detailersdomain.com/... well worth the trip. Your car will be better than new.

I feel like every time you drop off your car at the dealership, the M3 dies a little bit.... got mine back yesterday... they covered the driver's seat with plastic to protect the light grey leather.. well, when they pulled out the car from the shop one of the tech's decided to ride shot-gun on the *uncovered* passenger seat, after he just did an oil change....
Absolutely...Let Phil have it!! The car will come back better than ever

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have been very calm and accommodating with the dealer and am giving them the chance to make this right. Just seems like they are only focusing on one of the issues and ignoring the others hoping that I will go away. I will be patient for a little longer and then escalate if the need arises.
That is 100% the right case. I've been in your shoes and the adage about catching more flies with honey than vinegar definitely applies.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #20
Ben Choad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3; 09 Lambo LP560-4

Quote:

I am starting to experience multiple problems with my car. Today was the first day I am really regretting purchasing this car as well. Already looking into my options to get rid of it. I needed a 4-door as a daily driver and thought this car would do the trick but as of a week ago, it is turning into a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 03:28 AM   #21
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

What, exactly, are the issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #22
hababa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 MG/SO

Quote:
+1 Phil does awesome work!

Appreciate 0