BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #23
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

from what I've heard if you want full exhaust Dinan has the best sound. Not sure what happened to AMPowerJ's but base on sounds I'd take it over Akra. Akra is very nice, however the titanium sounds just doesn't sound quite as good to me, it's slightly boring after awhile.
      06-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #24
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
Do Tell........

I love my Dinan!!
Second that!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #25
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
from what I've heard if you want full exhaust Dinan has the best sound. Not sure what happened to AMPowerJ's but base on sounds I'd take it over Akra. Akra is very nice, however the titanium sounds just doesn't sound quite as good to me, it's slightly boring after awhile.
I gotta say, I *love* the Innotech with the turner test pipes. Very melodic and interesting exhaust note.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #26
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Here's the deal ...

Dinan's warranty is bullshit in my experience. I think many of us pay a premium for Dinan components because of their vaunted warranty. Well my story will show you that you can't trust that implied warranty.

Here are the highlights or lowlights of my experience.

I had to bend one of my center hangers pretty severely on the car to get the exhausts to line up properly in terms of height under the bumper. Also the tips were slightly off (about 1/8 of an inch longer on one than the other and this was visible when you looked down at the pipes when opening the trunk, etc.). Neither was a huge deal but both issues bothered me and when you pay $2500 for an exhaust I expect it to be perfect. But I wasn't overly concerned because I thought; no worries, Dinan has this wonderful warranty. Yes it is going to be a pain to ship it back, etc. but Dinan will make it right. WRONG!

I worked with Dinan for over a month to try to get it replaced under warranty. I provided detailed pictures of the bent hanger and the measurements of every tip. Communication was not good. I had to constantly write to request a status update.

They finally came back and they stated the 1/8 of an inch difference was within their tolerances, and they claimed the reason I had to bend a hanger was the exhaust must have been damaged in shipping. The warranty guy even said he sat down with Steve Dinan himself to discuss my case and this was their decision.

There is no excuse for a 1/8 inch difference on a handmade exhaust. How hard is it to cut the same length pipe and weld it on? Bullshit excuse #1.

They admitted I shouldn't have had to bend the hanger but they blamed it on the being damaged in shipping. Bullshit excuse #2! The box was in perfect condition when it arrived (which I told them). But even if it was a shipping issue, shouldn't they have helped me resolve that with UPS?

They left me high and dry. Did not offer a refund, exchange, discount or anything. I told them that I was very disappointed, asked about their famous warranty, and told them I would never buy Dinan again. I never received a response to that message.

So guys if Dinan will not replace an exhaust that is less than a week old, with photo evidence of the issues with it, do you think they are ever going to replace an engine that blows up because of their tune, or replace a shock that fails due to their spring, etc. Right then and there I realized that Dinan is not what they are cracked up to be. I also spent $1000 on their suspension kit early on thinking that sure they are just $200 springs but I have this warranty.

My experience might be isolated, but I am in sales and I would NEVER treat a customer like they treated me. If they treat one that way, chances are they will do it again.

Therefore, I would tread very cautiously when dealing with them.

*** And sorry to jack the OP's thread ***

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #27
e92Mjunky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 S65 swap

i like ours, it will be out next month 35 pound weight reduction, 304 polished stainless, less than $2K, made in USA
      06-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #28
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
The Gintani does drone a bit, but it does sound epic.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #29
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I just got a brand new exhaust that hasn't been out yet. Its called the MRF Engineering Velaforza full system and its the best exhaust i have had or heard ever. It sounds insane but its not so loud that it wakes everyone up. no drone what so ever and it sounds like a deep exotic tone. Ill do a full write up as soon as i get a chance this weekend. their website is MRFpower.com might be exactly what your looking for

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #30
M3MamBo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

I appreciate all the help guys.. I shall be making a decision soon.. I'm still not sure.. so far I've narrowed it down to the Dinan and Gintani.

I have heard the Dinan and it sounds good and its loud but I think I want something more aggressive. Once issue I have is that not all tips work, I understand there is a reason behind this with their R&D but would have been nice to have them all work. The only reason I'm considering Dinan exhaust its to have the full Dinan suite i guess since I have everything else Dinan so far.

You guys that have the Gintani, is the drone something that you can live with or is it simply unbearable?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 04:00 AM   #31
M3MamBo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

[QUOTE=M3MamBo;9779915]I appreciate all the help guys.. I shall be making a decision soon.. I'm still not sure.. so far I've narrowed it down to the Dinan and Gintani.

I have heard the Dinan and it sounds good and its loud but I think I want something more aggressive. One issue I have is that not all tips work, I understand there is a reason behind this with their R
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #32
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

The full dinan with there midpipe and software sounds epic... just my .02
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #33
MIGUEL-M3
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Hey Dude! All exhaust kits cost mega$$$.... you can just modify the stock exhaust as described by so many in this forum. The sound is COOOL!!!! I have tried this and other mods. The wildest is removing the stock muffler and extend the pipes out with twin 3 inch tips each side. Install an H pipe and the sound is otherworldly. Like having a dialy driven F1 car. The down side is that it drones at 2200-3000 rpm. That's why I decided to go with the modified stock muffler. Best all around exhaust....TRY IT!!!!!!
Appreciate 0