BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
chuckvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

Smile Dinan Exhaust Install report

Ok first know/knew about 2 non functional tips, cost more than some others and the fact that the tips stick out a little so we can see DINAN. Did not matter, what did is the quality of work/fit and report of others.

So I like it. Its not real loud, I could have still liked it if it was a bit louder. Traveling home at average speed of 81.2 MPH (23.9 MPG) with runs up to 120 it never became annoying. At idle its loud enough to know something different is there. Albuqurque BMW techs all liked it, when we were doing engine runs to 5000 RPM, one said it sounded like a Ferrari.

Maybe but it sounded great. No performance gain felt and any weight loss is not felt. Install took about 1.5 hours, it will be real easy to swap back on the stock exhaust If ever sell.

So a worthwhile mod, looks great on Alpine White.

chuck
87 911 with another great exhaust system
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Glad you're happy with your new exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckvic View Post
Ok first know/knew about 2 non functional tips, cost more than some others and the fact that the tips stick out a little so we can see DINAN. Did not matter, what did is the quality of work/fit and report of others.

So I like it. Its not real loud, I could have still liked it if it was a bit louder. Traveling home at average speed of 81.2 MPH (23.9 MPG) with runs up to 120 it never became annoying. At idle its loud enough to know something different is there. Albuqurque BMW techs all liked it, when we were doing engine runs to 5000 RPM, one said it sounded like a Ferrari.

Maybe but it sounded great. No performance gain felt and any weight loss is not felt. Install took about 1.5 hours, it will be real easy to swap back on the stock exhaust If ever sell.

So a worthwhile mod, looks great on Alpine White.

chuck
87 911 with another great exhaust system
I think the thing about the non-funtional tips is a bit overblown, but that's just me. The important thing here is that you like it and it gives you want you want.

I've heard and seen this exhaust as well and it looks good and it sounds good. As with most axle-back products there isn't a noticeable increase in HP/TQ (if any) and it's about looks and sound--which is fine--it's why I got my axle-back (Gintani).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Good review man. Is it noticeably louder than stock inside, and at what rpm? I'm curious to hear your system one of these years (it's almost '10 ). I live in the upper valley. I thought only 2 other younger guys were from El Paso on this forum; glad to hear there's at least one more .
At one time I considered Dinan (even though I don't like its looks at all) since it was the only one close to stock volume inside (stock car sounds perfect to me inside the cabin); just wanted a bit more presence outside. But without hearing it, decided to stay stock, and just painted mine black (but left tips alone; I like them); Why buy an exhaust on how it sounds outside when I'm driving the car 100% of the time?
Took my first trip to the mountains with my wife last weekend, and car was great, and she also thought it sounded great inside . Am not going to mess with it, but always welcome the opportunity to hear this fabulous engine with a proper exhaust as a spectator, not an owner . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
[D]ecided to stay stock, and just painted mine black (but left tips alone; I like them); Why buy an exhaust on how it sounds outside when I'm driving the car 100% of the time?
Am not going to mess with it, but always welcome the opportunity to hear this fabulous engine with a proper exhaust as a spectator, not an owner . Take care.
The 20 bucks of paint and time make a big difference (I like how yours looks so much better than stock).

There's also a lot to what you say about "how it sounds outside" as a spectator. I think those outside my car have the best seats in terms of how the exhaust sounds. Not that I think it sounds "bad" inside, it's just sounds better to spectators.

The search for the perfect exhaust (interior and exterior, both looks and sound) seems like the Quest for the Holy Grail.... And I think there's just as much chance in finding it!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
chuckvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

elp JC

I am over on black ridge, think you are right around corner. Out of town this week,lets set up a meet later.

chuck
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
There's also a lot to what you say about "how it sounds outside" as a spectator. I think those outside my car have the best seats in terms of how the exhaust sounds. Not that I think it sounds "bad" inside, it's just sounds better to spectators.

The search for the perfect exhaust (interior and exterior, both looks and sound) seems like the Quest for the Holy Grail.... And I think there's just as much chance in finding it!
I know exactly what u mean and agree 100%. I have had one of my buddies drive my car while I followed on my bike and man does it sound so much better when u hear the full exhaust note from the outside.

Anyways Ive seen and heard the Dinan exhaust in person, its too quite for my taste but def. a nice looking/sounding exhaust. Congrats!
      10-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Mine should be on the way. Can't wait to install!

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckvic View Post
I am over on black ridge, think you are right around corner.
Definitely. I used to live in Ojo de Agua (right on your back yard), and now on Mulberry at Montoya. We live less than 5 miles away. And thanks for the offer to meet; I'm game .

Quote:
I think those outside my car have the best seats in terms of how the exhaust sounds. Not that I think it sounds "bad" inside, it's just sounds better to spectators.
I know exactly what you mean. I always bought my exhaust systems based on how they sounded outside, but I was always b*tching about the drone and unwanted noise inside. The last time my wife said to me: 'Why the hell do you put something you like how it sounds outside when you're going to be driving and listening to it inside the car ALL THE TIME, and don't like the extra noise? I thought you just didn't want me to ride with you! ' She left me speechless because I didn't have an answer . It then dawned on me I was spending money to be miserable in my own car . Not anymore, and am glad, because I like to be able to enjoy my car with my wife, not alone. Sometimes we need to listen to our women folks . Take care man.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

i liked just the axle back, no drone, looks good etc. i just added the dinan midpipe to it. thats where the power comes in as i notice a nice gain now. the sound now is amazing and still no drone. no louder at cruising just louder when you want to
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. I always bought my exhaust systems based on how they sounded outside, but I was always b*tching about the drone and unwanted noise inside. The last time my wife said to me: 'Why the hell do you put something you like how it sounds outside when you're going to be driving and listening to it inside the car ALL THE TIME, and don't like the extra noise? I thought you just didn't want me to ride with you! ' She left me speechless because I didn't have an answer . It then dawned on me I was spending money to be miserable in my own car . Not anymore, and am glad, because I like to be able to enjoy my car with my wife, not alone. Sometimes we need to listen to our women folks . Take care man.
I hear you buddy and I agree! I know all about those statements where you're speechless and without an answer because she's just stated something so obvious that you were just so freakin' oblivious to. It happens to me all the time.

My wife an I are both a little "nerdy" and know every original Star Trek episode, well, a little too well. There's this one episode where this miner is complaining about how he can't get his pots and pans clean (on a windy desert planet with no water) and how it makes everything cooked taste like crap. Then this woman says, "Well, why don't you put them outside in the wind and let the sand blast them clean? (all the while giving him this "ain't it obvious look"). The miner gets this dumbfounded look on his face and in the next shot there he is hanging the pots and pans outside in the wind. Sure enough, the sand blasts them clean.

This aspect of being married used to bug me a bit but then I figured out it that since she's invariably right there was no use fighting it and I'd just view it as a benefit of marriage. Everytime I my wife states something obvious I'm clueless about I just smile, nod, and then and say "Yep, I'll just let the sand blast it clean" and then take her advice.

I'm fortunate in the fact that my wife doesn't mind the drone that came along with the exhaust and I know for a fact that she likes how it sounds inside the car even more than I do. In fact she likes the exhaust so much that she grabbed my key the other weekend and started gave a bunch of guys the "sound effect tour" at a car show we were at.

Kind of off-topic here but exhausts, spouses, and significant others and cars often cross paths. (Keeping it flexible as I know a few female M3Post folks who have husbands who think their exhausts are a bit "too loud". )
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
hamad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Coupe DCT

how do u get 23.9 MPG

main is 17.8
      10-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamad View Post
how do u get 23.9 MPG

main is 17.8
I suspect he reset the computer during the drive how while on the interstate. If that's not it, I'd sure like to know the answer to that too!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #14
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Definitely. I used to live in Ojo de Agua (right on your back yard), and now on Mulberry at Montoya. We live less than 5 miles away. And thanks for the offer to meet; I'm game .

I hear ya. I'm not exactly whipped, but if my wife had hated the sound of the Dinan, I would have gotten rid of it. Most of the time, it pays to keep the wife happy, and I'm the first to admit that she very often knows better than me.

After all the descriptions I gave you awhile back, I'm actually pretty excited for you to hear the Dinan in person and to get your impressions. I'd like to know if I was reasonably accurate in my portrayal.

Btw, I don't know if I ever thanked you for the help recommending materials for the heat shielding, so thanks. It looks like it's doing its job because the CV boot is holding up just fine. To all you Dinan owners, especially those of you who are in hot locations and/or who track your cars, you might want to look into installing some heat shielding down by the diff to protect your CV boot from excess heat, which will cause melting and cracking. The stock exhaust has this, but you obviously lose it when you switch to the Dinan.

Quote:
Kind of off-topic here but exhausts, spouses, and significant others and cars often cross paths. (Keeping it flexible as I know a few female M3Post folks who have husbands who think their exhausts are a bit "too loud". )
Great point. For those of us with significant others, how they feel about the sound of the exhaust is often just as important as how we feel about the sound. I've seen more than one aftermarket exhaust for sale in the classifieds section due to a less than impressed spouse.

For the record, until I told her, my wife didn't notice a difference from inside the car with the windows rolled up after I got the Dinan installed. Outside or with the windows rolled down, it's a different story.
      10-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i agree i have no difference inside cabin and even with the cat delete midpipe just added below 4k it is just the same, which is cool for cruising bc there is still no drone. but when you get on it man it is awesome
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #16
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 m3 07 e90 328xi

h bomb do u have any videos of the dinan+ midpipe? what does the midpipe take out...does it delet all cats?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #17
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

will have vid soon i hope. it is a cat delete system, but you need the softeware update for it too. the midpipe was where the power came in. i had just the muffler and stage 1 software first and it gave it a nice bump but nothin crazy but when i put the mid pipe on i really noticed the 21tq and 23hp increase. the rear wants to break loose now takin off where bf down low was nothin crazy. i am happy with it 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlnike View Post
h bomb do u have any videos of the dinan+ midpipe? what does the midpipe take out...does it delet all cats?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 01:39 AM   #18
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
i liked just the axle back, no drone, looks good etc. i just added the dinan midpipe to it. thats where the power comes in as i notice a nice gain now. the sound now is amazing and still no drone. no louder at cruising just louder when you want to
Agreed! I have both the DINAN mid-pipe and exhaust (software too of course) and it is awesome! Love it and can't get enough of the sound!

Quote:
i agree i have no difference inside cabin and even with the cat delete midpipe just added below 4k it is just the same, which is cool for cruising bc there is still no drone. but when you get on it man it is awesome
Ditto! When you step on it the sound is music to my ears! I just want to hammer it all day long!

Quote:
Check out my post. I have some pics and one vid.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303632

Quote:
will have vid soon i hope. it is a cat delete system, but you need the softeware update for it too. the midpipe was where the power came in. i had just the muffler and stage 1 software first and it gave it a nice bump but nothin crazy but when i put the mid pipe on i really noticed the 21tq and 23hp increase. the rear wants to break loose now takin off where bf down low was nothin crazy. i am happy with it 100%

Agreed! I also noticed the punch when the mid-pipe and software were installed. Even in reverse I love the sound! Just can't hear it enough! Completely satisfied.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #19
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i know i am rompin it for no reason now just to hear it. i drove past this one road with buildings on both sides about 4 times just to hear it roar lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Agreed! I have both the DINAN mid-pipe and exhaust (software too of course) and it is awesome! Love it and can't get enough of the sound!

Ditto! When you step on it the sound is music to my ears! I just want to hammer it all day long!

Check out my post. I have some pics and one vid.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303632

Agreed! I also noticed the punch when the mid-pipe and software were installed. Even in reverse I love the sound! Just can't hear it enough! Completely satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #20
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 m3 07 e90 328xi

wait so you guys all run your cars with no cats? How do you get inspected. What about emissions?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #21
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Not all states are as liberal as New York. Most of Florida doesn't have emissions testing.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #22
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
wait so you guys all run your cars with no cats? How do you get inspected. What about emissions?
Emissions are not due on new cars for a couple of years in AZ. We can always throw on the stock pipes if they need to do a sniff test.

GTS

Last edited by biglare; 10-14-2009 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0