BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

08-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #45
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
The 1M isn't a true sports car either and there's at least a 600lbs difference between your s2000 and the 1M coupe. The 1M is much closer to the M3 in weight and feel than to your S2000.
Go drive one and than tell me that. It is just as firm and handles on par with a stock s2000. Also for today's safety regulations the 1M is light. especially when the m3 is 500 lbs heavier. thats still a big difference.

Also a lot of you guys seem like you want DCT, which isn't something i would ever want since an enthusiast's car should be in manual, so i guess its a moot point. Obviously if you need an auto go get yourself a auto m3.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #46
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Not really by choice.
you shoulda quoted that whole sentence
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #47
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Regardless just drive both cars and than pick. Both cars aren't going to be for everyone. Pick which ever one you like the best.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #48
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

I made the switch. No regrets, no looking back. Only thing I miss from the M3 is the sound, but all the other positives negate it. For my purpose the 1M makes more sense for me.
      08-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #49
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Are there any e30-e46 owners who actually like driving the e9x m3 over the 1m? (asking people who have actually driven the 1m.)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #50
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

I watched the 1M come into development, and then evetually production, through several websites - and, finally, through the official BMW site. I was so excited about the car for many reasons. First, it offered an opportity for someone like me to get a new M car. I have always said that the M3 is the ultimate car, regardless of available funds, and I looked at the 1M as a "close as I can get" alternative. The more I read, the more I really wanted the car based on its own merits, rather than as a more economical substitute for the M3.

When I saw my first 1M on a dealer floor in late May, I was blown away. One can argue looks as much as one can argue the taste of food, but I thought it was fantastic. It had the muscular appeal I liked in the M cars, and it promised to deliver on what Dr. Segler said: allowing people like me to get into the M brand for less than usual.

As I read more 1M reviews, I was sold. The car can clearly perform, and there are ample metrics to support that claim. I put a deposit down, and waited for a hopeful allocation.

I waited for 8 weeks, with no status change (047, for those who know what that is). I knew it could be a while, but I kept reading the 1M forum posts and convincing myself that I'd get a car. As I spent more time looking at 1M cars, I saw more pictures of the car (which, again, I think is a GREAT design) alongside the "bigger brother" M3. As much as I liked the 1M, I kept deviating to the M3 design, along with another feature: individuality. By individuality, I don't mean the scarcity of the car - the 1M will always have that advantage over the M3. By individuality, I mean the variety of color/option/transmission combinations. In that sense, the 1M is limited.

A week ago I found - and purchased - an E93 M3, black over fox red. I love it. It's the car I was meant to have. But...I had a hard time walking away from the 1M.

For me, the M3 is a more "practical" choice, in the sense that it fits my style better. I will not drive track days, and I don't have any interest in drifting or pushing the car to absolute limits. I also prefer the DCT I got, simply because traffic can be a pain to navigate with a 6MT. And I love, love, love the ability to take the top off (!). Perhaps that's the motorcycle driver in me.

In the end, though, the 1M is a hell of a car, and I don't quite understand the comparisons between it and the M3, any more than I would understand the comparison between myself and my older brother. Between the cars lies a valley of difference despite sharing common parts; they were designed for different purposes. While comparing them is, I think, a result of the natural tendency to rationally categorize things we aren't familiar with (so we can make sense of them), I think that comparing them is antithetical to what BMW was hoping to do.

Just my 2 cents. Don't flame me, just writing my thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #51
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hasan546 View Post
Go drive one and than tell me that. It is just as firm and handles on par with a stock s2000. Also for today's safety regulations the 1M is light. especially when the m3 is 500 lbs heavier. thats still a big difference.

Also a lot of you guys seem like you want DCT, which isn't something i would ever want since an enthusiast's car should be in manual, so i guess its a moot point. Obviously if you need an auto go get yourself a auto m3.
Oh I have driven one and I owned a modified 135i for over a year. I've also driven cars that weigh around the same as the S2000. Huge difference in feel.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #52
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

x1000, I say keep this m3 n save up for the new m3. U will kick urself in the butt in 3 yrs if u got the 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
if you DIDNT have the m3, i think it would 50/50 on the 1M vs M3... however considering that you already own an m3 and have to lose money on it to jump into an 1M, i dont think the decision is wise. i mean the 1M is a good car but its not good enough for me to lose money on my m3 in order to get it.
      08-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #53
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Wait-you want to give up an E90 M3 for the 1M?

Looks are subjective. So doesn't matter what we think. The 1M sure has more low end torque and will clip the M3 in a straightline (for a short while)

Let me the first to say that I'm sure the 1M will be blast to drive compared to the M3 simply because its so peppy and flickable compared to the super imposed M3. If anything the 1M harkens back to the days of ragged edge mental driving that ///Ms have been famous for i.e. the 1M can be a widowmaker in the wrong hands.

I've got a E90 M3 on order which is why its even more significant when I say-the 1M has the fun quotient signed and sealed. You won't regret the move (assuming you make it). Be prepared for fewer creature comforts and a back to the basics cockpit with the 1M but then again its an enthusiasts car.

Things you will miss-8300 rpm S65 engine (personally its too good to pass up), the glorious music from the exhausts, bigger room, practicality and the prestigious bespoke M3 badge.

For me-I needed a discounted supercar hence the E90 M3.

Note-I for one did drive my neighbors 1M. Its fun but you always get the feeling that they were just filling a need in the market. i.e. the 1M was built to fit a bracket.
The only thing an M3 has over the 1M is a very long strait. Most who like RPMs should be on a road bike not a fat 2 ton car.

Prestigious?

Last edited by JB135MDCT; 08-05-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #54
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Re: HPFP
My dealership said the HPFP issue was resolved for the N54/55s in 2010.
That's definitely not true. My dealer told me the same thing. I suspect it's something BMW Central told them or something... but I followed this issue carefully on the boards after I purchased my 335i, and nope, it still isn't resolved.

That said, I purchased a 335i. So it obviously didn't stop me from doing it.

Quote:
Re: HPFP
My other concern is where the design is going with the new 1 series. Talk about ugly. The new 1 is totally Pokemon IMO and the new 2-series renders aren't looking much better.
The design of the new 2 series coupe is supposed to be different from that of the 2 series hatch the way the E90 and E92 cars have different looks.

I'm still holding out hope they don't mess up the "face" of the future M2.

If you've test driven the 1M (more than once is better), and your gut says "Yes! I want this car baaaad!", then trade the M3 in. You only live once. Your gut will tell you. But if you're torn, you need to sleep on it and think about it.... And do more test drives.
      08-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #55
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
The only thing an M3 has over the 1M is a very long strait. Most who like RPMs should be on a road bike not a fat 2 ton car.

Prestigious?
Spoken like a true ignoramus.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #56
Asiarush
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 488 GTB

Quote:
I have the ability to get my hands on a 1M. This would require that I trade in my M3 E90 DCT ZCP DD.
I purposely posted this on this M3 forum to get the most critical reasoning on the pros and cons.

Changing right now is going to cost me, but I'm tempted by the lighter weight, 6MT gearbox, and its low-end torque.
Every 1M review has been glowing. Am I nuts contemplating this or will the 1M be more fun?
This will be crazy, I will never give up my M3 for a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #57
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I'm grateful for all of your great responses. It has helped me focus my priorities. Although I have not made any definitive decisions, here are my perspectives thus far:

1) Test driving a 1m is a rare possibility, so I have to trust specs + my experience with similar engine architectures.

2) As glorious is the outgoing V8, it represents the past.

3) The M3 is not going to get any lighter or simpler. We all know damn well that the future M3 is going to only get more luxurious and bloated.

4) Supercharging is expensive and changes the core DNA of the M3 requiring numerous supplementary upgrades to maintain balance.

Honestly, this is not about money, mileage or even value. This is about nimble performance, not brute force. If it were only about power, I'd be swinging around in an M5 or M6... or worse yet a useless X5/6M.

To me, the 1M represents a lean and quick thrill ride that is infinitely tweak able, and a blast to drive... perhaps more so than the present and even future M3.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #58
08E92M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Get one as your second car, if you want, makes total sense as a daily driver. But makes no sense, IMO, to trade in your M3 for a 1M. That can also be a girlfriend's or wife's car, if they drives a stick.

Speaking of manual, it wasn't that long ago that some Marlbolo man told a guy in a Model T that "Real men ride horses, 'cause they have direct control of an animal...", where's the Marlbolo man now? Same as the guy who uses DOS & laughed at the other guy who uses a Macintosh computer with the mouse. Computer mouse is still around, but where is DOS now?...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #59
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Wait-you want to give up an E90 M3 for the 1M?

Looks are subjective. So doesn't matter what we think. The 1M sure has more low end torque and will clip the M3 in a straightline (for a short while)

Let me the first to say that I'm sure the 1M will be blast to drive compared to the M3 simply because its so peppy and flickable compared to the super imposed M3. If anything the 1M harkens back to the days of ragged edge mental driving that ///Ms have been famous for i.e. the 1M can be a widowmaker in the wrong hands.

I've got a E90 M3 on order which is why its even more significant when I say-the 1M has the fun quotient signed and sealed. You won't regret the move (assuming you make it). Be prepared for fewer creature comforts and a back to the basics cockpit with the 1M but then again its an enthusiasts car.

Things you will miss-8300 rpm S65 engine (personally its too good to pass up), the glorious music from the exhausts, bigger room, practicality and the prestigious bespoke M3 badge.

For me-I needed a discounted supercar hence the E90 M3.

Note-I for one did drive my neighbors 1M. Its fun but you always get the feeling that they were just filling a need in the market. i.e. the 1M was built to fit a bracket.

The M3 is in NO WAY a supercar. If you honestly thin kthe M3 is a supercar, I've got news for you my friend....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #60
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm grateful for all of your great responses. It has helped me focus my priorities. Although I have not made any definitive decisions, here are my perspectives thus far:

1) Test driving a 1m is a rare possibility, so I have to trust specs + my experience with similar engine architectures.

2) As glorious is the outgoing V8, it represents the past.

3) The M3 is not going to get any lighter or simpler. We all know damn well that the future M3 is going to only get more luxurious and bloated.

4) Supercharging is expensive and changes the core DNA of the M3 requiring numerous supplementary upgrades to maintain balance.

Honestly, this is not about money, mileage or even value. This is about nimble performance, not brute force. If it were only about power, I'd be swinging around in an M5 or M6... or worse yet a useless X5/6M.

To me, the 1M represents a lean and quick thrill ride that is infinitely tweak able, and a blast to drive... perhaps more so than the present and even future M3.
Why are you staying with BMW? Open your options up, there are many other brands out there that offer the same excitement. C63 AMG Coupe, Carrera S, RS5, S5, GT-R, they all best if not now match the M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 03:16 AM   #61
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Why are you staying with BMW? Open your options up, there are many other brands out there that offer the same excitement. C63 AMG Coupe, Carrera S, RS5, S5, GT-R, they all best if not now match the M3.
Because besides the Carrera your mentioning cars thats are luxury cars first and than sports cars 2nd as an added bonus. The M3 is a luxury car. Not a sports car in my book. Its freaking 4000 lbs almost. that is my issues with the M3. The next gen m3 will be even heavier. that is why i love the 1M so much I want a lightweight fun to drive car. i could care less how comfortable my car is.

Also S5? luxury car id buy for my girl not something id drive.
GT-R? Yeah if i wanted to a car to drive for me and never feel engaged sure go for a GT-R.
C63 Amg? God ill give it to you there. that engine is wonderful.
Carrera? now that is an amazing daily but your also talking about a totally different price bracket.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #62
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08E92M3 View Post
Get one as your second car, if you want, makes total sense as a daily driver.
How does it make sense as a daily driver? :roll eyes: Its more stiff, and arguably harder to drive. It's is the perfect back to basics sports car. The M3 is a gr8 DD for some since it is so soft.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 03:20 AM   #63
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
I really don't get the arguement that the 1m is faster so choose the 1m. Even if it were true and maybe it is, when is enough power enough? If it were a 500 hp m3 v. a 450 hp 1m and the 1m was still a bit faster than people would say choose the 1m.

There is a limit to how much power you really can even drive unless you are a pure track person. I feel the m3 has adequate power at 400 plus hp and you can "check" the "enough power" box and move on to other aspects of the car.

There is so much more to a daily driver than power. I really doubt anyone who has the money and is not looking for a track only car would turn down an m3 in favor of a 1m if they had ever driven an m3. Anyone who has sailed in 2nd gear to 8400 rpms and experienced the endless acceleration through the rpms, the sound it produces and the squeezing of the nice m3 active side-bolsters in a beautiful cabin... no way someone would trade that for a 1m.
Whose talking about being faster or more powerful? its not just about that. that is an added bonus. The main reason to pick the 1M over M3 is for the fun of driving the 1M over the M3. IMHO the M3 isn't as fun to drive as the 1M. Its too soft and too heavy. And yes i would trade that for a 1M in a heartbeat.

You guys will still love your next gen M3 and say its so amazing even though it'll weigh 4500 lbs. Well ill be happy with a sub 3500 lb car with decent power. e30-e46 drivers should know what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 03:38 AM   #64
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because besides the Carrera your mentioning cars thats are luxury cars first and than sports cars 2nd as an added bonus. The M3 is a luxury car. Not a sports car in my book. Its freaking 4000 lbs almost. that is my issues with the M3. The next gen m3 will be even heavier. that is why i love the 1M so much I want a lightweight fun to drive car. i could care less how comfortable my car is.

Also S5? luxury car id buy for my girl not something id drive.
GT-R? Yeah if i wanted to a car to drive for me and never feel engaged sure go for a GT-R.
C63 Amg? God ill give it to you there. that engine is wonderful.
Carrera? now that is an amazing daily but your also talking about a totally different price bracket.
The only thing I can't get over is the interior in the C63 AMG.Too many buttons. The RS5 is nice, and has the another high revving engine. Isn't a Base Carrera around 85k? I mean, it matches a fully loaded M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 03:39 AM   #65
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whose talking about being faster or more powerful? its not just about that. that is an added bonus. The main reason to pick the 1M over M3 is for the fun of driving the 1M over the M3. IMHO the M3 isn't as fun to drive as the 1M. Its too soft and too heavy. And yes i would trade that for a 1M in a heartbeat.

You guys will still love your next gen M3 and say its so amazing even though it'll weigh 4500 lbs. Well ill be happy with a sub 3500 lb car with decent power. e30-e46 drivers should know what I'm talking about.
You're a Porsche kind of guy. I like you.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 03:41 AM   #66
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
The only thing I can't get over is the interior in the C63 AMG.Too many buttons. The RS5 is nice, and has the another high revving engine. Isn't a Base Carrera around 85k? I mean, it matches a fully loaded M3.
He mentioned Carrera S which starts at 91k, also with options even a Base Carrera can hit $90k. & i agree the C63 amg interior is just disgusting IMHO. All Audis to me are just too soft and boring to drive and i include the r8 4.2 in that. Hvn't driven the 5.2 yet.
Appreciate 0