BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Dct Coupe

Wheels and Tires wobble while driving.

I was driving in front of a friend today and he let me know that my tires are wobbling while I drive. I switched out the wheels and tires yesterday so it is probably a problem with that. There are also spacers in the back. Has anyone had this problem or know what could be the problem? Thanks in advance?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
driverwannabe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I got a wobble after a few thousand miles on new tires and come to find out, one of the tires was low about five pounds of pressure. No issues after filling it up.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

It may sound elementary, but did u tighten the bolts in a "star" pattern?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Oh man, if your friend could actually see a wobble, you have some major issues. If you did this yourself, you need to cease all DIY efforts, and get thee to a proper tire and wheel shop immediately!

If you're not just spamming us, I have no clue how you wouldn't feel anything.
      11-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
Oh man, if your friend could actually see a wobble, you have some major issues. If you did this yourself, you need to cease all DIY efforts, and get thee to a proper tire and wheel shop immediately!

If you're not just spamming us, I have no clue how you wouldn't feel anything.
What do you mean spamming? I have a problem and need help. I got the tires put on by a pro shop and had my friend put the wheels on the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Your low-quality Korean sourced wheel barrels are either bent (most likely senario), or your tires are severely 'out of round'. (factory flaw)
      11-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

OK, it just sounded very hard to believe . . . sorry.

What I mean is, if your friend could see a wobble, it is really bad. Don't you feel anything different? The car would be shaking noticeably, with a visible wobble. That's what made it tough to believe the way you described it.

It is quite possible the spacers were not properly installed on the hub, and that is an understatement. However, quite frankly, I don't know how you could have a visible wobble short of not torquing the lugs down.

I'm assuming based on what you said, the wheels and tires were professionally mounted and balanced, but you did purchase wheels from a source that is also suspect

Let me ask you again, did your friend actually say he SAW a wobble, but you didn't notice anything?
      11-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK, it just sounded very hard to believe . . . sorry.

What I mean is, if your friend could see a wobble, it is really bad. Don't you feel anything different? The car would be shaking noticeably, with a visible wobble. That's what made it tough to believe the way you described it.

It is quite possible the spacers were not properly installed on the hub, and that is an understatement. However, quite frankly, I don't know how you could have a visible wobble short of not torquing the lugs down.

I'm assuming based on what you said, the wheels and tires were professionally mounted and balanced, but you did purchase wheels from a source that is also suspect

Let me ask you again, did your friend actually say he SAW a wobble, but you didn't notice anything?

He noticed a wobble then I drove his car while he drove my car so I could see the problem. I honestly did not notice a difference and wouldn't suspect anything until something happened.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

P.S. What kind of spacers did your friend install with your rear tires/wheels? I'm wondering if it is possible your friend put the spacers on backwards.
      11-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
P.S. What kind of spacers did your friend install with your rear tires/wheels? I'm wondering if it is possible your friend put the spacers on backwards.
im running a 10mm spacer.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imballin2day View Post
im running a 10mm spacer.
I asked you what type, meaning brand, not what size. They should be "hubcentric," which means that there is a flange that goes on the outside, which centers the wheel, with the inside completely flush against the hub. That's also why I asked if they were installed backwards.
      11-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I asked you what type, meaning brand, not what size. They should be "hubcentric," which means that there is a flange that goes on the outside, which centers the wheel, with the inside completely flush against the hub. That's also why I asked if they were installed backwards.
Its an H&R spacer. We just put the wheels on my friends M5 with no spacers and it did not wobble.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Well there you go. I'm not personally familiar with that brand, but dump the spacers, and reinstall the wheels and tires on your car, and check back.
      11-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well there you go. I'm not personally familiar with that brand, but dump the spacers, and reinstall the wheels and tires on your car, and check back.
He can't...
      11-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #15
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
He can't...
Ahhh, he bought wheels that will not fit without spacers. The things that people inflict upon their cars never cease to amaze me . . .
      11-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #16
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh, he bought wheels that will not fit without spacers. The things that people inflict upon their cars never cease to amaze me . . .
I don't know why you've been criticizing me since I started this thread. They do fit without spacers, they just sit inside the fender.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #17
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark335i View Post
OP, it's usually a good idea to say what wheels you have, then, we can actually diagnose the problem and give you a solution.
Sorry, they are 360 forged.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #18
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know why you've been criticizing me since I started this thread. They do fit without spacers, they just sit inside the fender.
Actually, that wasn't me, that was Lemans Blue, who said you couldn't fit them without spacers. I was believing what he said. My initial reaction was not criticism, but one of horror that someone could actually see a wobble, which means it is really bad. It also means you are putting yourself in jeopardy driving a car like that.

Good, I'm glad they fit without spacers. If that is the case, it should be easy to put them back on and test the car. Then you will have isolated the problem. It is either your wheels, or it is the spacers. There is also a chance you have defective (out-of-round) tires, but you said the tire/wheel combo wasn't a problem on another car, and you also said they were professionally mounted and balanced.

Honestly, I'm knocking myself out trying to help you here, without much info, and without passing judgement on 360 (yet).
      11-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #19
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, that wasn't me, that was Lemans Blue, who said you couldn't fit them without spacers. I was believing what he said. Good, I'm glad they fit without spacers.

If that is the case, it should be easy to put them back on and test the car. Then you will have isolated the problem. It is either your wheels, or it is the spacers. There is also a chance you have defective (out-of-round) tires, but you said the tire/wheel combo wasn't a problem on another car, and you also said they were professionally mounted and balanced.

Honestly, I'm knocking myself out trying to help you here, without much info, and without passing judgement on 360 (yet).

Thanks for trying to help.

I am trying to get these spacers off but they seem to be stuck and hard to take off. Anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #20
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for trying to help.

I am trying to get these spacers off but they seem to be stuck and hard to take off. Anyone have any ideas?
pics!
      11-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #21
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
pics!
are u kidding me?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #22
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark335i View Post
It's a lot harder to help you when going by what you write instead of showing us... Good luck OP!
The problem is hes not trying to help, he thinks hes funny. I don't know what a picture would do. The spacer is stuck and won't come off.
Appreciate 0