BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #947
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Having a 4 month sample is not indicative of what has happened overall. Without the total number of failures, mileage, condition of the cars (supercharged vs. N/A, etc) all we can do is extrapolate and speculate. Agreed?

I contend that this is a known issue, and that the number of failures are higher than I'm comfortable with. However, in my (very small) sample size, I know of exactly zero people personally that have had a rod bearing issue with the car. I am a member of my local CCA chapter and have talked to about 10 M3 owners with mileage ranging from a few thousand to upwards of 80k, many of which are hard track miles, without an issue. I attend my local cars and coffee event and have probably talked with another dozen owners without any rod bearing issues. This is not evidence that there isn't an issue with the bearings. The sample size is too small and the engines are too new. But the same could be said about the "evidence" provided in a 4 month sample. Hell, even Belgium a few months ago was saying this issue was limited to just North America because he hadn't heard of any issues in Europe. Now he's the loudest voice on these forums about rod bearing issues.

In my own personal world this isn't an issue, on the internet, it is. That's how the internet works.

Even if you are right, and the number of failures is higher than 1%, maybe it's 3x or 5x that number, so what? Nothing we can really do about it, right? I also looked around for another ~$45k car that meets my needs like this one and have found it doesn't exist. If my bearings go bad, I hope I'll catch it in time to spend the $2k getting them replaced. If not, such is life, it doesn't look like BMW is going to do anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #948
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Having a 4 month sample is not indicative of what has happened overall. Without the total number of failures, mileage, condition of the cars (supercharged vs. N/A, etc) all we can do is extrapolate and speculate. Agreed?

I contend that this is a known issue, and that the number of failures are higher than I'm comfortable with. However, in my (very small) sample size, I know of exactly zero people personally that have had a rod bearing issue with the car. I am a member of my local CCA chapter and have talked to about 10 M3 owners with mileage ranging from a few thousand to upwards of 80k, many of which are hard track miles, without an issue. I attend my local cars and coffee event and have probably talked with another dozen owners without any rod bearing issues. This is not evidence that there isn't an issue with the bearings. The sample size is too small and the engines are too new. But the same could be said about the "evidence" provided in a 4 month sample. Hell, even Belgium a few months ago was saying this issue was limited to just North America because he hadn't heard of any issues in Europe. Now he's the loudest voice on these forums about rod bearing issues.

In my own personal world this isn't an issue, on the internet, it is. That's how the internet works.

Even if you are right, and the number of failures is higher than 1%, maybe it's 3x or 5x that number, so what? Nothing we can really do about it, right? I also looked around for another ~$45k car that meets my needs like this one and have found it doesn't exist. If my bearings go bad, I hope I'll catch it in time to spend the $2k getting them replaced. If not, such is life, it doesn't look like BMW is going to do anything about it.
For me, if the issue gets addressed the M5 likely gets replaced with an e90 M3. If it doesn't, it won't, and I'll likely build myself an e46 M3 sedan.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #949
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
For me, if the issue gets addressed the M5 likely gets replaced with an e90 M3. If it doesn't, it won't, and I'll likely build myself an e46 M3 sedan.
Good plan and exactly what I'm thinking of doing.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #950
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Quote:
In that case I kind of hope the issue does not get addressed
      12-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #951
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
This thread really needs to be locked. It should have been a blown motor only post thread. Not back forth bickering over each ones opinions.

Step away from the computer. Go drive your BMW. Well, those who's didn't blow up. Sorry to those guys.

Cheers.
      12-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #952
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:

Your opinions are valid. But...

When you put together all the info we have, ie, the tight tolerances that are outside of industry practice, known failures occurring on stock cars or modified cars, failures occurring in early production cars and late production cars, failures occurring with low mileage or medium mileage (80k is not high mileage), failures occurring worldwide with this info coming from BMW AG, replacements "goodwilled" by BMW to have repeat issues, then its clear that we have a problem! We have enough evidence to suggest something is off with the S65/S85 and this isn't restricted to a small sample of cars.

The problem needs to be addressed b/c we cannot pinpoint which individual cars will suffer a catastrophic failure like some of the poor souls in this thread. You should be concerned and you should be listening to your engine. No one is saying you can't enjoy your car, but there is a problem that has to be addressed. Raising awareness is a good thing.
      12-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #953
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
He said 120 every 3 months currently, so 40 per month, or ~1.3333 per day.
660 would take 16.5 months at that rate, or ~1.3 years.... so that seems like a gross underestimate to me.

I would hazzard we hear about failure less often at <50,000 miles, as most people don't care enough to go crying to the forums if it's covered by warranty, but that is not necessarily indicative of it occurring less. As in, on the S54, we didn't really hear about the VANOS hub tab issue (now addressed permanently by the aftermarket for $150) on the forums until ~2006 because, when they were covered under warranty, nobody cared. Didn't mean they weren't failing in that time period.

That said, following your logic through to it's conclusion, if we're at 40 per month now, 660 total (because bearing failure rate is growing exponentially as miles increase), next year at that time we should be ~600 failures per month and the year after that all the engines.... Not sure that's better!
I recall it being 120 over 4 months...not that it really matters.
I think that as high bearing wear does appear to be a function of mileage its not unreasonable to consider that the (failure) rate would very low until cars hit at the very least 50K miles - or typically ~5 years old? Which fits well with the impression that the whole sorry saga started to come to peoples attention in 2013.
I believe than the current failure rate is around 1% but as you note its is going to get a lot worse.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #954
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
This thread really needs to be locked. It should have been a blown motor only post thread. Not back forth bickering over each ones opinions.

Step away from the computer. Go drive your BMW. Well, those who's didn't blow up. Sorry to those guys.

Cheers.
Well, you know, there are NO OTHER BEARING THREADS people can discuss their opinions in. I mean, MAYBE if there was just ONE other bearing thread to discuss what the issue maybe vs. this one which is mainly for keeping track of blown engines.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #955
Jesse J
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Does anyone know if the reported failures are disproportionately biased to the early cars? Or is there a significant number of the later cars that have also failed….such as the 2011 to 2013 models?

It's very disappointing seeing this as I came from a Cayman S to a new M3 in 2012, and love the car. However reading all this makes me consider going back to a Porsche. Thanks for any input.

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #956
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:

I realy wonder if you can read the word => "Worldwide" from my PM ?
And it's just logic that the US has more failures than Europe...do you want to compare our country's and owners of ///M's ? What a joke !
From what I'm knowing ....3 failures in Spain , 2 in Germany and that's it !
2 year's ago I saw another ///M3 here in Belgium on the road ,do you know how expensive these cars are over here and the yearly driver taxes ?
I realy try to answer all the PM's , but it seems that some even can f@ck up a PM !
But I'm agreed that you are saying..."It doesn't look like BMW is going to do anything about it"

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #957
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Yeah, half of all M cars go to the USA, and the rest of the world gets the other half. So, if we don't have most the failures... something is better here for the engine :P

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #958
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post

Cheers.
Well, you know, there are NO OTHER BEARING THREADS people can discuss their opinions in. I mean, MAYBE if there was just ONE other bearing thread to discuss what the issue maybe vs. this one which is mainly for keeping track of blown engines.

Let's create another! LOL.
      01-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #959
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

First Blackstone Report

Just got back my first Blackstone Report. I've been a bit paranoid from reading through this thread and others. All looks good for now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #960
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
That doesn't make sense as the e46 has issues of its own. I know you can "fix" most e46 issues, but you are knowledgable enough and should see that owning an e90 is relatively simples/reliable experience for most. Shit I wouldn't want to touch a high mileage e39 now and you have one.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #961
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
That doesn't make sense as the e46 has issues of its own. I know you can "fix" most e46 issues, but you are knowledgable enough and should see that owning an e90 is relatively simples/reliable experience for most. Shit I wouldn't want to touch a high mileage e39 now and you have one.
There's a fix for all the e46 issues at this point. In fact, if you DIY, you can lock all of them down for <$1000 in a weekend.

The e39 (well, really the S62) is a bit of a bear on maintenance (way more so than the S54). I refreshed it this summer, which should lock me down till ~250,000 miles. That said, I don't really mind doing the work itself-- it's actually kind of fun if you have a second car to drive while you're doing it (no pressure to get done by a specific time). If you're going to own an older BMW (which is what the e9X M3 is transitioning into currently), you either have to occasionally pay out the ass (e.g. engine failure due to rod bearings) or preventatively lock weak points down before they become an issue.

The S65's timing chain setup looks like another future weak point to me, that we'll see need refreshing more often as more of them get older. It looks to be an even more complex design than the S62s. Time will tell. Certainly it seems reliable for 100,000 miles, and refreshing it every 100,000 miles wouldn't be that big of a deal (pretty much the S62 situation).

My summer vanos/rod bearing/timing chain/sensors/gaskets update project from this last summer:

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #962
Rustyboy155
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
How I feel after reading this whole thread.

I know how you feel... I'm selling my F30 to buy a low mileage e92 m3 and this thread is terrifying.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #963
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyboy155 View Post
I know how you feel... I'm selling my F30 to buy a low mileage e92 m3 and this thread is terrifying.
I think the S65 is significantly more reliable than any of BMW's turbo engines, long term.

Last edited by Obioban; 01-30-2015 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #964
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

I read this thread before I got my E92. I bought a warranty when I finally purchased it.

Bearing failure at 64K miles. LKQ engine under warranty, but I put in the BW treated bearings on this one.

I do think there is an issue. It's only magnified on a forum since this whole forum is really a small sample size of the M3's rolling around.

And it's funny to see a Porsche guy worry about a BMW. Input shaft failure anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #965
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
I read this thread before I got my E92. I bought a warranty when I finally purchased it.

Bearing failure at 64K miles. LKQ engine under warranty, but I put in the BW treated bearings on this one.

I do think there is an issue. It's only magnified on a forum since this whole forum is really a small sample size of the M3's rolling around.

And it's funny to see a Porsche guy worry about a BMW. Input shaft failure anyone?
Did you heard any ticking or rattle noises before the bearing failure ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #966
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Quote:

What year is your M3?
      01-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #967
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Nope. Nada. Car was strong like bull. Gave no indication of issue.

Failure was out of the blue. It happened @ COTA entering corner 12.

I had warmed the car up in the Paddock and on the grid. Did two warm up laps, first at about 30 percent, next at about 60% so I could get heat in the tires.

Finally I gave it the business at corner 9 and was running through the gears on the back straight and it let go accelerating in 5th gear. It wasn't a very dramatic failure, just white smoke, a pop sound, and a bunch of lights and error message.

No oil on the ground. It managed to stay in the lower brace/tray, and eject a half US Dime sized bit of the block.

My car is a MY 2008, with a late 2007 production.

The LKQ replacement engine I got is a late 2011 Engine that had 41~44K miles. It also had worn bearings, which I replaced before stuffing the replacement motor back in my car. I used BMW bolts, but I'm kind of wishing I had used the ARP stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #968
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Nope. Nada. Car was strong like bull. Gave no indication of issue.

Failure was out of the blue. It happened @ COTA entering corner 12.

I had warmed the car up in the Paddock and on the grid. Did two warm up laps, first at about 30 percent, next at about 60% so I could get heat in the tires.

Finally I gave it the business at corner 9 and was running through the gears on the back straight and it let go accelerating in 5th gear. It wasn't a very dramatic failure, just white smoke, a pop sound, and a bunch of lights and error message.

No oil on the ground. It managed to stay in the lower brace/tray, and eject a half US Dime sized bit of the block.

My car is a MY 2008, with a late 2007 production.

The LKQ replacement engine I got is a late 2011 Engine that had 41~44K miles. It also had worn bearings, which I replaced before stuffing the replacement motor back in my car. I used BMW bolts, but I'm kind of wishing I had used the ARP stuff.
Why? have you seen any examples of issues with the stock bolts?

Appreciate 0