BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

02-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
irish_tyrant
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

Maintenance Sched and Service Tool?

Hey all,

I've been searching thru the forums all morning and I haven't found a satisfactory answer to my questions yet.

I have a 2008 M3 w/ 6 speed and its just over 40,000 kms. I've had it in the garage for the winter and I'm getting it ready for the road again. Also, my warranty is up.

I'm going to do a oil change and get on a once a year schedule as I put it back on the road every spring, average 10,000 kms/year. I'm looking for a comprehensive maintenance schedule or at least a list of all the things that need to be changed regularly. Oil, air and cabin filters, etc are a given but rough guidelines on manual trans fluid, rear diff fluid etc would be helpful.

Also, I'm looking at getting the Bavarian Technic's "Enthusiast Package" diagnostic tool and I'm hoping for some feedback. Basically I just want something that can reset all service reminders, register new batteries and tell me what the car wants changed. I know most maintenance is decided by the car's computer based on driving style, mileage and time and I'm hoping that the tool will tell me about things like diff fluid, spark plugs etc.. The Bav Technic site says it does most of that but not clear on some of it.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

have you done sparks/diff oil ? this should be in your next service including an oil change. i had this done on my car last summer at 40,000km
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
irish_tyrant
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

I haven't had the diff or plugs done yet. 40,000 kms seems really early for plugs though. Is this mileage based or driving style based?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

30k is good time for spark plugs, PS fluid, rear diff., oil change, brake fluid change, tranny fluid, cabin filter, air filter. ask how i know. if i was you, assuming no track, do oil, filter, cabin filter, and wipers once a year. brake fluid every other year. ps fluid, rear diff, tranny fluid, and plugs every 3rd or 4th year.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

This might help you out.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778602
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Post Number 35 in my link below my signature talks about maintenance also note the link to BMW Maintenance ... it might help you out ... good luck!

Most of us are fascinated with our car and the Honeymoon might last quite a while for most of us. Then there is the so important aspect of maintenance on our high end cars. There are a few of us that never ever read the manual. Some of the posts I've read suggest that the individual does not know where the manual is.

Yes I know, our cars have the so called No Charge Scheduled Maintenance 4 Years or 80,000 KM (50,000 Miles). We all know that we paid for this up front when we purchased the car. So we need to make sure that we do in fact get what we paid for in the first place.

There is of course the exception to this, there are people were this is of no concern to them since they change car(s) before the warranty expires. And that is perfectly okay, except the lack of maintenance will in the end impact on the sales value of the car or trade in value.

My note here is for people that do care about there car and once they sell it know it has been well taken care of for the next owner. So I am sure we can all agree that reading the maintenance section of our manual and or some of the file I've attached below will benefit us all. Many questions that people seam to ask in this forum can be found in the attached link. So I find it is of value I like to share this with this fine Forum Community right here.

This first link takes you to the BMW web site where among other things you can find the BMW Service and Warranty Books for your car. Simply enter your cars birthday (year), Series and Model you then be taken to the Maintenance Section PDF file for your car (many more subject are provided in this valuable link).

To open this PDF file ===> CLICK Here

Should you plan to keep your car for a longer period then 4 years then there are more detailed documents regarding maintenance on the internet. One of the good ones I've found (also a PDF file) is by Mr. Mike Miller. I cannot post a link to his file since it is Copyright © 2010 and he requests not to post it on the Internet since it is also being updated from time to time. You can Google to find it or PM me and I can provide a copy to you for your use only.

Happy reading on some snowy or rainy afternoon

It is important, when you think about it right after our house the car or even cars are the next most expensive investment we ever make.

Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_tyrant View Post
Hey all,

I've been searching thru the forums all morning and I haven't found a satisfactory answer to my questions yet.

I have a 2008 M3 w/ 6 speed and its just over 40,000 kms. I've had it in the garage for the winter and I'm getting it ready for the road again. Also, my warranty is up.

I'm going to do a oil change and get on a once a year schedule as I put it back on the road every spring, average 10,000 kms/year. I'm looking for a comprehensive maintenance schedule or at least a list of all the things that need to be changed regularly. Oil, air and cabin filters, etc are a given but rough guidelines on manual trans fluid, rear diff fluid etc would be helpful.

Also, I'm looking at getting the Bavarian Technic's "Enthusiast Package" diagnostic tool and I'm hoping for some feedback. Basically I just want something that can reset all service reminders, register new batteries and tell me what the car wants changed. I know most maintenance is decided by the car's computer based on driving style, mileage and time and I'm hoping that the tool will tell me about things like diff fluid, spark plugs etc.. The Bav Technic site says it does most of that but not clear on some of it.

Thanks in advance

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0