BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

02-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
plnwizzys
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

Iphone 6 bluetooth and ipod connection

Maybe a noob question. Loving the M3 btw. Upgraded from a VW golf and havent missed it a day.
Just curious if you can have an ipod/old iphone plugged in the armrest area and also use an iphone to stream music via bluetooth. Seems like the option for bluetooth goes away once the phone/ipod is plugged into the armrest area. I wanted to keep the ipod in the armrest area for higher quality audio but wanted to be able to switch between the two.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Sounds like you have a 2011.5 or newer. When you connect a device via USB, Bluetooth Audio is disabled for that device -- but Bluetooth phone functionality continues to work. Even more irritatingly, you have to re-enable Bluetooth Audio for that device manually after disconnecting by going to Bluetooth > Options > Configure Phone and checking the Audio box.

But you can still have a SEPARATE device connected via USB while retaining BT Audio on your phone.

I'm guessing BMW did it this way so people connecting via USB for album art, media library browsing, and higher quality audio couldn't accidentally select the BT Audio option for their device and then wonder why things weren't working as expected, but they could at the very least have automatically re-enabled BT Audio later.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
plnwizzys
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

Thanks for the heads up. It's kind of a stupid setup but I guess they can't please everyone. It has the premium audio but it doesn't sound that "premium". My wife's pathfinder has Bose and I think it sounds better.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #4
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
The best way to go about it is to find an older iPod Touch or a "decommissioned" older iPhone, and stuff it with your music, and leave it plugged into the USB port (or cradle).

I have a 64 GB iPhone (without a cellular signal) that just sits in the car to handle music duties.

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0