BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

08-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

What performance Street/track pads will fit brake wear sensors??

Hey all,

I'm trying to find the right pads for my M3. I'd like performance pads that fit this bill;

- Street & track use. Not track dedicated pads.
- Low noise & won't tear up the rotors
- Will accomodate the brake wear sensors
- Low to moderate dust like OEM pads OK

What are my options? I've read that CoolCarbons are not all that good, Performance Frictions are just a tad better but sensors won't connect.

Thanks for the help fella's,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Hey all,

I'm trying to find the right pads for my M3. I'd like performance pads that fit this bill;

- Street & track use. Not track dedicated pads.
- Low noise & won't tear up the rotors
- Will accomodate the brake wear sensors
- Low to moderate dust like OEM pads OK

What are my options? I've read that CoolCarbons are not all that good, Performance Frictions are just a tad better but sensors won't connect.

Thanks for the help fella's,
Rob
I think this is one of those situations where you can't have your cake and eat it too. Gotta give up something to get something.
      08-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

Cool carbons should fit ur application, or PFC Z-rated pads are good too.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

As I mentioned in the OP's other thread, the Z-rated is a good performance street pad, but will not hold up to serious track duty. Also, the sensors do not fit the pads.

Generally speaking, "dual purpose" pads don't really work well in *all* situations because they're designed with compromises in mind. That doesn't mean that they're not good pads, just that you shouldn't expect them to do everything well.

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
EAS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: VF620 M3

Cool Carbon pads are an awesome alternative to OE pads and perform excellently on the street and certainly much better than OE on the track. We know as we use them ourselves. Proper bedding is important for immediate track usage so as not to create material pad transfer issues. Installation and bedding instructions are included and also on the CC web site. The E9x M3 uses the same front pad as the E9x 335i and a slightly taller rear pad. Both applications are best sellers.

This is a street performance pad that is very linear on application and without the initial grabby feeling (different than bite) of the OE pads that is close to impossible to modulate. We have many satisfied customers around the world and believe that there should be no issues to satisfy your requirements. Dust is less than 25% of OE and pads are extremely rotor friendly. Noise is not an issue. Friction level is slightly higher than OE when cold and increases with temperature. Please take a look at the attached experiences of others.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258143

Also note that our 15% off sale on all CC product ends tomorrow, 08.31.10! Use the code: ccaugust15
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david @ eas View Post
Cool Carbon pads are an awesome alternative to OE pads and perform excellently on the street and certainly much better than OE on the track. We know as we use them ourselves. Proper bedding is important for immediate track usage so as not to create material pad transfer issues. Installation and bedding instructions are included and also on the CC web site. The E9x M3 uses the same front pad as the E9x 335i and a slightly taller rear pad. Both applications are best sellers.

This is a street performance pad that is very linear on application and without the initial grabby feeling (different than bite) of the OE pads that is close to impossible to modulate. We have many satisfied customers around the world and believe that there should be no issues to satisfy your requirements. Dust is less than 25% of OE and pads are extremely rotor friendly. Noise is not an issue. Friction level is slightly higher than OE when cold and increases with temperature. Please take a look at the attached experiences of others.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258143

Also note that our 15% off sale on all CC product ends tomorrow, 08.31.10! Use the code: ccaugust15

Thanks David,

I know I can't have it all but I wasn't really expecting that. Obviously I don't want to give up street application or safety with track pads as I won't have th opportunity to track all the time. But pads that can hold up a bit better than OEM on the track and last longer with street use is ideal I would think.

I've looked at CoolCarbon's and had read a review of someone that had some vibrations or somewhate a negative review. So your post is promising.

One question though, will those CoolCarbon pads allow the wear sensor to connect to it?

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
EAS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: VF620 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Thanks David,

I know I can't have it all but I wasn't really expecting that. Obviously I don't want to give up street application or safety with track pads as I won't have th opportunity to track all the time. But pads that can hold up a bit better than OEM on the track and last longer with street use is ideal I would think.

I've looked at CoolCarbon's and had read a review of someone that had some vibrations or somewhate a negative review. So your post is promising.

One question though, will those CoolCarbon pads allow the wear sensor to connect to it?

Cheers,
Rob
Rob,

It surely does have the area for the sensor to connect to it, just like OEM fitment.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
RENN Spec
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 488 Pista, M2CS, Tundra

Check out the Porterfield R4S. It's a pretty good pad that better than stock but not track pads. I highly advise against using dual pads if you're a fairly competent driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Renn-Spec View Post
Check out the Porterfield R4S. It's a pretty good pad that better than stock but not track pads. I highly advise against using dual pads if you're a fairly competent driver.

Thanks Jason

I'm not sure I follow. Are you refering to the CoolCarbons also about dual pad? Or jst the Porterfield R4S pads? I'm not familiar with the R4S's and what do you mean exactly about the dual pads? Sorry for my ignorance on this.

One of your post you said the CoolCarbon's will connect to the wear sensor. That's good, just wondering about the quality/wear/performance in conjuction with OEM rotors that have 16,000+ miles on them.

Thanks,
RB
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
RENN Spec
Major
United_States
Rep

I was referring to pads that are used as both street and track. The R4S and CC are pretty much pads that are often used as dual purpose in which people use it for track and street. However, I advise against that because you can't really expect street pads to perform well in HPDE if you're already a pretty fast driver. I've ready your other post and judging from the amount of track time you have under your belt, I'm pretty sure you'll fade these street pads fairly quickly. As for the cut out part, I was speaking about Performance Friction not CC.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #11
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

how bout Hawk street pads... i use the HP Plus pads during the summer. they're noisy as hell but have excellent braking power i know that Hawk also makes a set of pads one level down from the HP Plus thats not as aggressive and not as noisy. and you can put the oem brake sensors on all hawk pads.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #12
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was referring to pads that are used as both street and track. The R4S and CC are pretty much pads that are often used as dual purpose in which people use it for track and street. However, I advise against that because you can't really expect street pads to perform well in HPDE if you're already a pretty fast driver. I've ready your other post and judging from the amount of track time you have under your belt, I'm pretty sure you'll fade these street pads fairly quickly. As for the cut out part, I was speaking about Performance Friction not CC.

Thanks Jason, I think that's clear now.

yeah, I guess I probebly have enough experiance to keep those pads a bit warm. So it's really a question of either switch pads for track use and probebly just stay stock for the rest?

As for cut out for the sensor, Performance Friction WON'T accomodate? Just want to be clear.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #13
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
how bout Hawk street pads... i use the HP Plus pads during the summer. they're noisy as hell but have excellent braking power i know that Hawk also makes a set of pads one level down from the HP Plus thats not as aggressive and not as noisy. and you can put the oem brake sensors on all hawk pads.

Interesting, I met someone here at the Nurburgring with an M3 that was running Hawk HP's, I think HP's he said? But said they were great, didn't mention anything about the sensor, nor did it occur to me to ask. But he did say they were a bit noisy.

Maybe that is an option then.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
RENN Spec
Major
United_States
Rep

If I remember correctly, we had no problems with the sensor for the z compound. For the 01 compound we don't attach the sensor piece because those pads wear faster and once they hit the sensor, you're going to need new sensors. Also, we didn't feel it was necessary using sensors on 01 compound because you change out the pad for track day only and you can easily monitor your wear, predict the wear, and change it out before it gets dangerously low.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Understood, makes sence then.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=KM3;7918480]As I mentioned in the OP's other thread, the Z-rated is a good performance street pad, but will not hold up to serious track duty. Also, the sensors do not fit the pads.

Quote:
If I remember correctly, we had no problems with the sensor for the z compound. For the 01 compound we don't attach the sensor piece because those pads wear faster and once they hit the sensor, you're going to need new sensors. Also, we didn't feel it was necessary using sensors on 01 compound because you change out the pad for track day only and you can easily monitor your wear, predict the wear, and change it out before it gets dangerously low.

Ok, bit confused here. KM3 says sensors won't connect to the Z-rated performance friction pads. But Renn-Spec says it should?

Sorry guys, just want to verify before I waste my money. Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
RENN Spec
Major
United_States
Rep

We installed the pads on a local customers car and it had no issues including the sensors. Make sure you order it from a PFC retailer as if you don't, they might just cut the pad into the m3 shape but not cut the sensor portion.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #18
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We installed the pads on a local customers car and it had no issues including the sensors. Make sure you order it from a PFC retailer as if you don't, they might just cut the pad into the m3 shape but not cut the sensor portion.

Absolutely! Good point. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I ordered from a PFC retailer (Bimmerworld). IIRC, the front sensors would not fit but the rear did. Maybe the cutouts have been updated since then?

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #20
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

They fit on Hawks but I do not run the sensors on my track pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #21
RENN Spec
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM3 View Post
I ordered from a PFC retailer (Bimmerworld). IIRC, the front sensors would not fit but the rear did. Maybe the cutouts have been updated since then?
When was this? Maybe they did have an update on the pads.
Appreciate 0