BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #133
Goodfella69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi e90 BSM

i was number 1 at my verizon store woohoo! The bluetooth works fine with the 2007 e92. Does anyone know where to go to download the updates!? I can't find it on blackberrys website.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #134
TTexan
Verizon Expert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 335i

Should be in your manual I would assume. I can't remember if it automatically notifies you of upgrades that are available.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #135
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella69 View Post
i was number 1 at my verizon store woohoo! The bluetooth works fine with the 2007 e92. Does anyone know where to go to download the updates!? I can't find it on blackberrys website.
You have to go to options -> advanced options -> (and at the way bottom there should be an software update link...)....... This however does not work on my phone, for some reason the link isnt there on mine.. I tried going to the store to ask about it but the girl that was working there had no idea what she was doing there...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #136
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is an article about the "software issue"
Quote:
I want to preface this by saying that the following statements are my opinions and hypotheses, and have not be confirmed nor denied by any of sources of mine or official contacts at either corporation. It should serve as a nice little “conspiracy theory,” though. Here’s the deal:

* When we met with Verizon and RIM about the Storm, we asked about the software version. They confirmed it to be 4.7.0.65. We had heard otherwise, just like most of you, and didn’t understand why that OS version was so low when versions up to .90 were being talked about, and some demo units in stores showing .75 or higher.
* We believed this to be a non-final OS and was partly why we thought the OS would get better before release.
* We reported of a Storm shortage last night because of a last minute glitch.
* We think that 4.7.0.82, the version of the Storm box I got from Verizon directly was the cause of the glitch, and instead of a new version being flashed on Storms, what they were in fact doing was downgrading the OS to 4.7.0.65.

Now, why would we say that Verizon has downgraded these units? Do we know this for a fact? Absolutely not, and we said that above. None of this has been confirmed to us at all, but here’s the kicker… check on your Verizon BlackBerry Storm box where the product label is. It should say Version: 4.7.0.65, right? Well, after looking at a box from a Verizon store just now, I noticed a couple layers of stickers. I decided to peel those off, and what did I find? A product label underneath with version 4.7.0.82! So, they realized that there was possibly a huge security vulnerability they couldn’t fix in time, started flashing the units with the .65 software in order to not miss the release date, thus the cause of the shortages, the limited stock, and the direct fulfillment units not shipping until December the 5th. Go ahead, you know you want to peel back those product labels with yellow stickers! Let us know in the comments, ok? The pictures are after the break!
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...erry-storm-os/
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #137
freshnezzz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i deleted vz navigator today and it runs faster and starts up quicker in my opinion

Last edited by freshnezzz; 11-23-2008 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #138
Reincarnated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: new

Paired with 2008 M3 perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #139
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnezzz View Post
i deleted vz navigator today and it runs faster and starts up quicker in my opinion
good idea..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 09:37 PM   #140
bluebug
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335

picked one up today. I'm going to agree with some reviews complaining about the lag and slow response. This is even with the update (0.65, which came on the phone). Not sure if its a keeper...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 02:22 AM   #141
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
As a Canadian, I can tell you that the only people who use Blackberries are dorky business people who don't know how to use a mouse in their 40's and 50's or 60's. Damn, the design of the Blackberry Storm is worse than the first gen iPhone. Blackberry Storm design looks like it's already out of date!!! iPhone 3G is still the King.

I swear...every time I see you post it's hating on something. Do you drink haterade daily?

Anyone agree?
      11-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #142
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SES_D View Post
I swear...every time I see you post it's hating on something. Do you drink haterade daily?

Anyone agree?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/te...e.html?_r=1&hp

It's not just me....

It's official, it's a dud!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #143
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
An article regarding the OS issues.

Quote:
We gave you our theory, we gave you RIM’s official statement and now people, it’s time to move on. The bottom line is that everyone who snagged a Storm from Verizon ended up with v4.7.0.65. The indisputable caveat - v4.7.0.65 has issues. No firmware is perfect and no future firmware revision will ever be completely bug-free, but what we can tell you is that the folks at RIM and Verizon know v4.7.0.65 might be just a little sub-par. How do we know they know? Why else would they be issuing OS updates just a few weeks after releasing the handset? That’s right people, we got our hands on a preliminary internal communique detailing a series of updates coming soon to a Verizon Storm near you. The first in fact, will likely come next week - just a few short weeks after the launch. Basically, RIM and Verizon have targeted a variety of major issues and will address them through a series of OTA software updates. The list below is split up between issues that will definitely be resolved with the first update next week and issues that will be resolved in a second OTA update that will likely arrive later in December. Hit the jump for the break down and rest a bit easier knowing that whether or not the various issues with v4.7.0.65 are deal breakers for you, Verizon and RIM know there are problems are are working to fix them.

Note that the following is not a complete list of issues that will be covered in the upcoming OS updates. Instead, this is a list of issues being circulated internally at Verizon to ensure that employees do not authorize any Certified Like-new device exchanges for customers citing any of the following as their problems… The first is our favorite by far and no, the last one isn’t a joke - it’s really on there.

Issues to be resolved by the first OTA update (Maintenance Release 1) - December, week 1:

* If a customer receives a call while listen to music at low volume using a wired headset, the music volume may suddenly increase to the highest level (!). Interim recovery instructions: Lower the volume using the buttons on the side of the handset.
* When using voice-activated dialing, incoming audio may be muted. Interim recovery instructions: Enter the menu and select “Activate Handset or Speaker”.
* The handset may reset itself while sitting idle or while using multimedia applications. No interim recovery instructions provided.

Issues to be resolved by a subsequent Maintenance Release:

* Customers may intermittently lose email connectivity via CDMA and/or international roaming modes. Interim recovery instructions: Main menu -> Manage Connections -> Select mobile network -> Turn radio off, then Turn radio on. If this does not resolve the issue, pull the battery.
* When powering on the handset, the radio sometimes does not turn on. Interim recovery instructions: Main menu -> Manage Connections -> Select mobile network -> Turn radio on. If this does not resolve the issue, pull the battery.
* Pressing the send key while the device is in landscape mode will open the phone application in portrait mode, but the speed dial function may not work. Interim recovery instructions: Press escape until the home screen appears, then press the send key with the handset in portrait orientation.
* Sometimes entering characters on the virtual keyboard doesn’t work. Interim recovery instructions: Re-select the character.
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...os-has-issues/
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #144
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/te...e.html?_r=1&hp

It's not just me....

It's official, it's a dud!
Quote:
Hello? Isn’t the thumb keyboard the defining feature of a BlackBerry? A BlackBerry without a keyboard is like an iPod without a scroll wheel.
obviously that guy has no idea what he is talking about... I do admit, it takes some getting used to, but after a good day or two of usage you will be able to type just as fast or faster on the Storm than for instance a Blackberry Curve.. Nice try but you fail, when you dig up the right article I will acknowledge your opinion, but until then you don't have any experience with the Storm and its features... Do you? I don't see what the big deal about the OS issue anyways, come on people.. its the fist generation, its prone to problems, I don't remember the iPhone being what it is now when it first launched.. Stop coming into this thread trying to bash on the Storm because you don't like it, matter of fact, why don't you go ahead and start a new thread in the OT section titled "Why the Blackberry Storm Sucks" so we don't have to hear your complaints. I've been updating this thread with possibly helpful information regarding the Blackberry Storm for people that are looking to purchase one. K, thanks.
-Rant over.

btw, Its not just you that I'm talking to so don't feel like I'm attacking you.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #145
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella69 View Post
options->advanced options->(bottom of the page) software update

for some reason some of the storms have these and some don't, mine doesn't but I went to the Verizon store and out of the two demo's they had, one had it and the other didn't...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #146
freshnezzz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
yesterday downloaded VIIGO app and it works with some error swipe function not fully operational. though it at is still beta i can read news, stock, sports much faster.

to download www.viigo.com on your cell

and apparently there is a desktop manager update i haven't downloaded 4.7 from vzw site thats supposed to update the phone to 4.7 also so i'm downloading and will install later

Last edited by freshnezzz; 11-26-2008 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0