BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

08-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Dranter
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, F15 X5 40d, E90 330i

Carwash = squeaky brakes?

Hello guys.

Basically my car got a little squeaky lately and its quite embarrassing. I took it to the dealer and was told its due to the contactless carwash. Basically the guys at the carwash put some chemicals in their water which when gets into contact with the brakes makes them squeaky. I said fine and didnt wash the car for 3 weeks as it was sunny nd barely got dirty. But I took it to the carwash today (different one - significantly better but i avoid it because its quite a drive to there ) and had it washed and specifically told the guy about the issue. He said fine i will just rinse it off. However all that happened is that my car is now clean but still squeaks.

I wanted to ask you guys, detailers and all, is it possible for whatever mixture that gets in contact with the breaks to make them squeak so much? Personally im calling misaligned breaks but that would need another dealer trip so im just checking with you.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
You shouldn't be going to carwashes in the first place
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Christopher110
Rep
Drives: Evolution lancer, Bmw 7 series

Yes that's the thing that happened every time when i go to the car wash. but ever since last month i have tried to wash it by myself in my front yard...........and i do try not to wash the brakes pads or wheels with shower and simply brush the wheels and now every thing is back to normal and now the annoying sounds have also been vanished......form the wheels

Buzz App | Buzz Apps | Apps Buzz | Twilio Services | Shopify Services | Nimble Messaging | SMS Marketing | Wordpress SMS Plugin | SMS Plugin | WP SMS Plugin

Last edited by Christopher110; 06-17-2016 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
stylin8o8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

ok not to thread jack or anything, but have you guys experienced the rust froom the rotors after you hand wash your rims? does it get on to the inner barrel of your rims? i get that all the time, and im wondering why it does that.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
K.M. Tim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2011 M3  [2.00]
2012 BMW F30 w/ M S ...  [0.00]
Always wash by hand- never in a car wash!!!
      12-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
lolwut
The debater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylin8o8 View Post
ok not to thread jack or anything, but have you guys experienced the rust froom the rotors after you hand wash your rims? does it get on to the inner barrel of your rims? i get that all the time, and im wondering why it does that.
because the rotors are cast iron and they oxidize when you get them wet.

When the oxidation is 'removed' by the application of the brakes, you get the layer of rust inside your rims.

As for the OP, this is normal for the same above reasons. The pad material momentarily does not grab what is embedded on the rotor, and instead grabs the oxidized material which resonates at a particular frequency and causes the squealing.

No, there's nothing you can do about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Break squeak has nothing to do with car washing..try using some brake quiet spray, or brake pad grease on the back side of the pads. This is what the dealer should have done for you
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
lolwut
The debater
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontrelli View Post
Break squeak has nothing to do with car washing..try using some brake quiet spray, or brake pad grease on the back side of the pads. This is what the dealer should have done for you
ahh.. I appear to have not read the OP =.=

I would agree with this post.

Squeaking (if any) right after a Car wash should only last that day, if that.

If it's squeaking weeks before/after, then it's just normal Brake squeel and should be looked @ with brake grease as suggested
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
stylin8o8
Private
United_States
Rep

thanks lolwut, shux i guess i gotta take each wheel off to clean it =/
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
lolwut
The debater
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks lolwut, shux i guess i gotta take each wheel off to clean it =/
I would recommend one of these to use on the barell;

http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html

I'm going to retract my previous statement on the 'no there's nothing you can do about it'

depending on where you're washing, zinc plated rotors may help. The surface where the pad contacts the rotor will still flash-rust and throw brown particles in the barell, but if you're getting brown stuff from the hose and this is sediment from the veins or hub, it may help. It's going to set you back the cost of some high-quality rotors and new pads, so whether it's worth $600 or $30 is up to you
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
stylin8o8
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
I would recommend one of these to use on the barell;

http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html

I'm going to retract my previous statement on the 'no there's nothing you can do about it'

depending on where you're washing, zinc plated rotors may help. The surface where the pad contacts the rotor will still flash-rust and throw brown particles in the barell, but if you're getting brown stuff from the hose and this is sediment from the veins or hub, it may help. It's going to set you back the cost of some high-quality rotors and new pads, so whether it's worth $600 or $30 is up to you
Thank you!!! i been looking for something like that, i bought a cheap one from Don Quijote, and the plastic handle broke. this will help thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
lolwut
The debater
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you!!! i been looking for something like that, i bought a cheap one from Don Quijote, and the plastic handle broke. this will help thank you
I have one of them, best $30 I've ever spent on wheel care. The bristles don't mare and it works in tight spaces as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
stylin8o8
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
I have one of them, best $30 I've ever spent on wheel care. The bristles don't mare and it works in tight rims as well.
that is gunna work perfectly with my ZCP rims! and my dads chrome rims =) i usually use boars hair brush, but getting that big head behind the rim is such a pain, near impossible. this brush is gunna make things so much easier thank you.

as for OP im sorry i didnt mean to thread jack!
Appreciate 0