BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

07-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
awe92s65
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

E92 m3 rear shock mount

Hi all,
Looking for some more options on rear shock mounts for the e92 m3 chassis. Installing mcs shocks and need something for a 12mm shaft. Only two options I found were power flex and akg. Was hoping to find a spherical mount but having no luck finding any. Anyone know if some other options?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by awe92s65 View Post
Hi all,
Looking for some more options on rear shock mounts for the e92 m3 chassis. Installing mcs shocks and need something for a 12mm shaft. Only two options I found were power flex and akg. Was hoping to find a spherical mount but having no luck finding any. Anyone know if some other options?
An eye to eye mount style rear damper would have made this upgrade much easier. Conversion top mounts can be purchased from Turner or Bimmerworld.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:13 AM   #3
awe92s65
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
An eye to eye mount style rear damper would have made this upgrade much easier. Conversion top mounts can be purchased from Turner or Bimmerworld.
I've quickly learned this. When it's time for a rebuild I'll see if mcs can build me an eye to eye rear damper. For now I've used akg with some cnc machined washers. For anyone doing this in the future neither of the rear shock mounts mentioned above come with the washers you need. Off the shelf washers which have a ID of 12mm arnt actually 12mm. They are on average 13.5 for clearance. That's a little to much slop and not all of the washer rests on the shock shaft shoulder. Some people just drill the OEM mounts and call it good. I used 6061 aluminum and machined a set. Specs for anyone that wants them are 50mm OD 12.3mm ID. I went with 6mm thickness which does remove 1\4 inch of shock travel but running 900lb springs in the back minimizes the risk plus I added bump stops and mcs dampers have a lot more travel than oem anyways.
Appreciate 0