BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #23
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Many of us who drive aggressively or aren't doing much highway driving routinely see less than 10k-15k miles out of a set of rear tires. It is not that unusual.

Neither speed rating nor tire weight are good indications of overall handling and grip.
I dunno I mean I do a lot of highway driving but I've also done 4 autocrosses so far and have 16k on my stock Contis and they seem to have a lot of life yet.

I'm trying to burn them out so I can get new, larger ones for my larger wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #24
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
PSS will only do the 30k Mile Warranty if you rotate your tires. If I ran a squared setup, I would definitely have PSS's again.
I believe they have warranty for no rotation which is half of the 30K mile warranty with rotation. So without rotation I believe it's a 15k mile warranty?
      07-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #25
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
I believe they have warranty for no rotation which is half of the 30K mile warranty with rotation. So without rotation I believe it's a 15k mile warranty?
That is correct. Used to be if you have a staggered setup you're out of luck on mileage warranties.

Now many manufacturers will give 1/2 the mileage warranty in cases where rotation is not possible. Michelin was among the first to offer this.
      07-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #26
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
That is correct. Used to be if you have a staggered setup you're out of luck on mileage warranties.

Now many manufacturers will give 1/2 the mileage warranty in cases where rotation is not possible. Michelin was among the first to offer this.
On your website you have 2 Super Sports listed, one for Mercedes and one for Porsche. Whats the difference and which one is better for the M3?
      07-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #27
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola 32/65 View Post
On your website you have 2 Super Sports listed, one for Mercedes and one for Porsche. Whats the difference and which one is better for the M3?
That's a good question without a simple answer.

When there is an OEM tire, the changes (if any) that are denoted by the OE designation are not published. They are held confidentially by the tire maker and the car maker, and do not always show up in the specs that they are required to publish. As far as specs, these two list the same number and material for belts, sidewall plies, and reinforcements. Speed rating and load rating are the same.

In general, Porsche usually asks for more changes than Mercedes, but that is just a generalization. If the Mercedes version was in stock, that is what I would default to when making a pair with the fronts, but I have no cause to believe that the Porsche version is incompatible.
      07-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #28
Palomequet
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
IMO

Yokohama S-Drive, the best for your money. PSS if money is no object.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #29
Account Closed
Smarty Pants
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Anyone have experience with both tires? I think the consensus is that the PSS's are slightly better, but the ~$300 savings from the Bridgestone's is tempting. Minor performance differences don't matter too much but longevity does matter to me. Base on this, does anyone have an idea of what would work better for me?
I bought the Brigdestone S-04s the very second I purchased my M4. The PSS are too noisy on the freeway. Plus, you feel every little bump on the road. Yes, they are amazing for performance driving, but too rough. After putting on my Bridgestone tires, man oh man does it feel better. My steering wheel has less thumps when going over cracks and bumps. It's also slightly more quiet on the freeway....and honestly, you will feel no difference with the performance on the street. If you track your car, you'll feel the difference but not much on the street. They have equal performance there.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #30
Wisco M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White M2

I'm halfway through mounting a set of Bridgestone pole positions as we speak. Holy crap are the sidewalls stiff. I went with 255's and 275's, and was incredibly surprised when I found out the tread width was identical between the two sizes.

My 4 year old PSS started to disintegrate this past weekend at the first autocross i've done in this car. I have a few more this year yet, so I should get a pretty good feel of how the Stones are. The PSS were garbage at the point in their life that they were.

Tire Rack has them on closeout, and there's a $70 rebate, so I couldn't argue with the fact that they're supposed to be 90% of the performance for about 70% of the price.
Appreciate 0