BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

09-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #67
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
But you guys live on top of one another and that's not very comfortable. Even from Google Earth, it's a 50 square miles of tract homes.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #68
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
But you guys live on top of one another and that's not very comfortable. Even from Google Earth, it's a 50 square miles of tract homes.
no way man - be sure to check population density.

Texas is ranked #4 in the nation as far as "metroplex population". only New York, Chicago and Los ANgeles have more people.

but the area of the metroplex is soooo spread out, that our population density is some of the best out of cities with more than 2 million people.

Houston is not like Philly or Miami or San Diego - we are not stacked on top of eachother in this city. our metroplex stretches about 45 miles from one side to the other......Philly WISHES it was 45 miles long HAHA !!!!

**sigh** - lemme get the data for you since you're gonna ask anyways.

Last edited by Litos; 09-19-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #69
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

here we go

http://agbeat.com/economic-news/amer...-dense-cities/

through the first 31 Most Poipulation Dense Cities in the US, there are 16 US Cities with a population of over 2 million.

guess who is last when it comes to population density !?!? yep, Houston.

Houston only has 4100 people per square mile.

Miami has LESS people living in the area and it's about 85% more dense !!!

you wanna see "living on top of each other", go look at San Diego, Philly, Las Vegas and Boston.

some people just don't understand how massive Houston is.....
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #70
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

I love where I live, if you love where u live it's all that matters, who cares!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #71
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
no way man - be sure to check population density.

Texas is ranked #4 in the nation as far as "metroplex population". only New York, Chicago and Los ANgeles have more people.

but the area of the metroplex is soooo spread out, that our population density is some of the best out of cities with more than 2 million people.

Houston is not like Philly or Miami or San Diego - we are not stacked on top of eachother in this city. our metroplex stretches about 45 miles from one side to the other......Philly WISHES it was 45 miles long HAHA !!!!

**sigh** - lemme get the data for you since you're gonna ask anyways.
DFW > Houston.

Better restaurants, better zoning, better weather, better sports franchises, better entertainment, better shopping and better economy.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #72
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

here's something else.

as you go down the list of biggest cities measured by square mileage, Houston is the only one that has a population of more than a small town....

even LA, with all of it's millions and millions of people, still is smaller than Houston.....

to get from South Houston to North Houston, you better fill up with gas and pack a lunch lolololololol.......
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #73
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotenseto View Post
This controversy is manufactured by the media, and it's abhorrent. They act like because 23 hicks tweeted that she's not American, she's a Muslim, etc., that there is a huge uproar of racism among white people. I call BS.

Even if it was a couple thousand tweets, which it wasn't, what the hell do you expect in a country of 300+million.

Sick and tired of this manufactured "white racism" that supposedly runs rampant. The folks who tweeted this crap are shmucks no doubt, but the reality on the ground is the majority of people don't give an ish one way or another.

c
Completely agree.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #74
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
DFW > Houston.

Better restaurants, better zoning, better weather, better sports franchises, better entertainment, better shopping and better economy.
DFW is pretty much Oklahoma.

and no, it doesn't have better economy.

it has a much better economy than most cities in the US, but it isn't better than Houston....

sorry to dissapoint you, kid.....**yawn**....

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...reator/275927/

Quote:
Houston Is Unstoppable: Why Texas' Juggernaut Is America's #1 Job Creator

Texas is killing it.

It dominated the recession, crushed the recovery, and in a new analysis of jobs recovered since the downturn, its largest city stands apart as the most powerful job engine in the country -- by far.

The ten largest metros have recovered 98 percent of the jobs lost during the recession, on average. But Houston, the first major city to regain all the jobs lost in the downturn, has now added more than two jobs for every one it lost after the crash. That's incredible.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #75
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
DFW is pretty much Oklahoma.

and no, it doesn't have better economy.

it has a much better economy than most cities in the US, but it isn't better than Houston....

sorry to dissapoint you, kid.....**yawn**....

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...reator/275927/
You're saying Houston's economy is Better based on that?

Everything else I said was true even if you don't believe economy. Find a better source to counter my economy statement than that...come on.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #76
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Great, now we have moved from the MT vs DCT debate to the Houston vs Dallas debate...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #77
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

If I just look at pure unemployment, Houston is 6.1% and Dallas is 6.4%. Houston is marginally better, granted, but those fluctuate every month. I'd say that's a more meaningful stat than what you posted....Anyway, there are too many ways to measure economic superiority, but I would guess a full analysis would show they are pretty comparable, just as their unemployment rates are comparable. Let's just say their economies are equal but I still give Dallas the edge on all other items I listed.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #78
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
You're saying Houston's economy is Better based on that?

Everything else I said was true even if you don't believe economy. Find a better source to counter my economy statement than that...come on.
**yawn**

listen, kid, i'm not going to do the legwork for you anymore.

Dallas is doing well in the economy, but it's not as successful or prominent as Houston.....

i'm going to stop crushing your soul with proven facts - i'll let you do it to yourself from now on.

http://www.chron.com/business/articl...ca-2591026.php

Quote:
Powered by a booming energy business, the Houston regional economy grew faster last year than any other in North America, the Brookings Institution reports.

Houston and Dallas were the only two major metropolitan economies on the continent to rank among the world's most robust in 2010-2011....

...The Global MetroMonitor rankings use such factors as population, employment and per-capita income to present a snapshot of the world's economic might. The report released Wednesday calculated Houston to be No. 19 globally in terms of growth and Dallas No. 36.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...ked_number.php

Quote:
Here's something the sophisticates in New York, elitists in Los Angeles and crack dealers in Miami don't have on Houston: The Brookings Institution released their Global MetroMonitor last week and Houston's economy is number one in the country and 40th in the world. Take that, San Diego, with your perfect weather, gorgeous ocean views and 136th-in-the-world ranking.

What this means for Houston is that, as has been the case throughout much of the recession, we continue to make strong economic strides while much of the rest of the country and even the world struggles. Go us!

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/...top-metros.cfm

Quote:
America's energy boom has been kind to Houston, the country's fastest-growing job market. As new discoveries of underground shale rich with pockets of natural gas create fertile fields of exploration and harvest for many of the world's largest energy companies, Houston is reaping a windfall of investment.

In 2012, Texas' largest city added a bevy of new jobs as it led the nation corporate facility projects, earning Houston the title of Top Metropolitan Area in the U.S.

Houston led all metropolitan areas with 325 facility deals in 2012, ahead of second-place Chicago, which had 311 projects, and third-place Dallas-Fort Worth, which had 224. Atlanta ranked fourth with 165, while Detroit ranked fifth with 144.

It's a familiar ranking for Houston, which also won the honor for 2011.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #79
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I really hate to contribute to this debacle of a thread jacking, but most cities were established a while ago and thus their land area is fairly small. Take Tampa, FL. The city limits are fairly small, but people residing 15 miles out of the city limits still consider themselves to live in Tampa.

If you were to take the same city limits and placed it over Tampa and then calculate again, you would have a population figure similar to Houston which of course would give it very similar density.

Nothing against Houston, but the enormous size of the city limits is what gives Houston the low density "data". Drape those huge city limits over other cities and recalculate; you'll find much different data.

Also, the population numbers have to be incorrect now with all those new jobs. New people must be moving to Houston. Cause if all those jobs are going to existing Houstonians; Houston could have been labeled the nations most lazy city a few years ago.
      09-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #80
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
**yawn**

listen, kid, i'm not going to do the legwork for you anymore.

Dallas is doing well in the economy, but it's not as successful or prominent as Houston.....

i'm going to stop crushing your soul with proven facts - i'll let you do it to yourself from now on.

http://www.chron.com/business/articl...ca-2591026.php

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...ked_number.php

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/...top-metros.cfm
Dude, you seem to be getting a little confrontational wit the kid references, so I'll just let you have this one since I'm not one to go back and forth too much on the internet. I even conceded the economy was probably pretty similar...Houston seems to have even faster growth, but GDP is roughly the same (I looked it up).

Anyway, you're going to love Houston and I'll love DFW.

No hard feelings...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #81
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Nothing against Houston, but the enormous size of the city limits is what gives Houston the low density "data".
i know HAHA !!!

that's the point i'm trying to make.

take Philly and Houston (even though Philly has to "stretch it's borders" and incorporate 3 other states to get their data since Philly is so tiny lol).

you could take almost 4 "Phillys" and put them in Houston to cover the spread - just sayin.

i compare it like this:

take an iPad and put 10 dimes on it - call it Houston
take an iPhone and put those same 10 dimes on it - call it Philly

because of it's population density, Houston is a huge city with small town feel.....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #82
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
No one fucking cares what city any of you think is better than the other. Take it to another thread and measure your dicks there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotenseto View Post
This controversy is manufactured by the media, and it's abhorrent. They act like because 23 hicks tweeted that she's not American, she's a Muslim, etc., that there is a huge uproar of racism among white people. I call BS.

Even if it was a couple thousand tweets, which it wasn't, what the hell do you expect in a country of 300+million.

Sick and tired of this manufactured "white racism" that supposedly runs rampant. The folks who tweeted this crap are shmucks no doubt, but the reality on the ground is the majority of people don't give an ish one way or another.

c
Definitely agree. The people that posted that nonsense are just idiots, plain and simple. But to suggest that it is a rampant problem is a bit of a stretch.

Hell, some people that I know that could probably be considered somewhat racist based on previous statements they have made only said one thing about her winning.

"Damn, she's pretty hot."
      09-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #83
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
i know HAHA !!!

that's the point i'm trying to make.

take Philly and Houston (even though Philly has to "stretch it's borders" and incorporate 3 other states to get their data since Philly is so tiny lol).

you could take almost 4 "Phillys" and put them in Houston to cover the spread - just sayin.

i compare it like this:

take an iPad and put 10 dimes on it - call it Houston
take an iPhone and put those same 10 dimes on it - call it Philly

because of it's population density, Houston is a huge city with small town feel.....
You're missing the point. Most cities have imaginary limits drawn on a map. In most of those cities, you can travel 20 or so miles outside of the limits and still have that city name in your address. So the data your referencing can be very misleading. The physical area that is considered a city can be very different than the actual city limits, which is what that density data is based on.

It just so happens that Houston drew it's city limits to encompass the out lying suburbs and what not. Most cities don't do that yet still consider those suburbs to be part of that city even though wikipedia doesn't reflect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
No one fucking cares what city any of you think is better than the other.
This thread has taken quite a nose dive......
      09-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #84
Lute__
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 JB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
No one fucking cares what city any of you think is better than the other.

Plus everyone knows NYC is the best city in the world anyways.

Everywhere else is Cowtown, USA.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #85
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Miss America - Houston?

Go Blue. U Michigan has hot and bright students.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #86
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
It just so happens that Houston drew it's city limits to encompass the out lying suburbs and what not.
dude, what are you talking about !?!?

every city does that !!!!!

where do you think population density data comes from !?!?

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #87
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Yao ming and T-mac baby!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #88
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

even Tampa does it.

Tamps stretches it's borders to include St. Petersburg and Clearwater and calls it a "metroplex"....

it's about 25 miles from Tampa to St. Petersburg

probably the same for Clearwater - probably a hair more.....

so don't say Houston is the ONLY city that stretches it's borders to come up with population density data.......
Appreciate 0