BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

AA Pulley, a.k.a. Belty McShredsalot

So it being winter, even here in northern California we don't need the A/C very often, so I haven't been running it much lately. Even still, I'd been noticing a kind of rhythmic, very soft thumping sound from the engine (could even feel it in the steering wheel) and every once in awhile the steering got a bit heavy, but I thought it was just because of the active steering thinking I was driving too fast to turn that hard.

I have an AA pulley and feared the worst. Today when the AC was running the thumping was a lot louder, so I did some tests, turning the wheel hard while stationary... And smelled burning rubber. Effing great.

Sure enough, I pop the hood and check with a flashlight and see that the belt that AA provided for my pulley is coming apart. There's cracks all over it from where I can see and small bits of it chewed away.

The first belt didn't last six months but it was supposedly flawed; they preemptively sent me a replacement that I only put on after the first belt ate itself on a drive down to LA. That was less than a year ago. This one is still functioning, barely, but it's definitely slipping and judging by the thumping sound I'm guessing some parts of it have shredded, I just can't see (the accessories belt is pretty hidden when the radiator fan is in place; at any given time I can see maybe 3 inches of it).

At this point, I'm thinking I'm just going to put the stock pulley back on. At least then I can get belts without having to contact AA.

Speaking of, in the interest of full disclosure I haven't contacted them yet - doing that now. I don't mean to sound like an internet crusader but I do think they need to be called out on this; whether it's a flaw in the pulley design or belt I've already sunk some hours into installing it, then replacing the belt, and now having to go through replacing the belt again. To say I'm not pleased is an understatement.
      01-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Wow thanks for informing! Keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

I wonder if the other pulley brands are the same or if they're better.
ie: Evosport, Rogue Engineering, Dinan, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

anyone running the gintani kit??
thks for the post./
      01-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Uh, oh.

Maybe I should change back to the stock pulley, as well.

I'm nervous now...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Uh, oh.

Maybe I should change back to the stock pulley, as well.

I'm nervous now...
or go with gintani i get mine this week ill write a review and what not
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Got the rogue pulley, no problems so far, drove the car in 100degree weather for a couple months and 33-40 degree weather for about 3 months.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

Thanks for the unfiltered review. I am taking over an AA pully from a member here and getting a little nervous now. Is it typical of the AA pully?

Last edited by major_kusanagi; 01-31-2010 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Hmmm, that is not good. I am sure that AA will be all over this since their customer service is top notch. But since many members here either have teh AA Pulleys (or another brand), and or are considering pulleys, hearing news like this makes you somewhat hesitant to get them.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
Hmmm, that is not good. I am sure that AA will be all over this since their customer service is top notch. But since many members here either have teh AA Pulleys (or another brand), and or are considering pulleys, hearing news like this makes you somewhat hesitant to get them.
+1 ordered Rogue
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_kusanagi View Post
Thanks for the unfiltered review. I am taking over an AA pully from a member here and getting a little nervous now. Is it typical of the AA pully?
I hate to be the one to bring this up, but a problem has happened before also. -->http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ight=aa+pulley

Yet I thought AA had already solved this matter, therefore I went on with my purchase from them.

I hope Omar@AA will eventually jump in to clear things up.

I would just contact them directly to get some further direction/info regarding this issue, which may/may not be coming back...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

Thx. You are doing your new job overly well.

Quote:
I hate to be the one to bring this up, but a problem has happened before also. -->http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ight=aa+pulley

Yet I thought AA had already solved this matter, therefore I went on with my purchase from them.

I hope Omar@AA will eventually jump in to clear things up.

I would just contact them directly to get some further direction/information regarding this issue, which may/may not be coming back...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
*Knock on wood*

I'm still on my original belt. The replacement belt is still sitting in my trunk.
      01-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_kusanagi View Post
Thx. You are doing your new job overly well.
Thank you, major.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

I have had my AA pulley over year and half with approximately 8000 miles on it without any problems. Granted since that one member posted his problem, I check the belt every so often to make sure it looks intact. I also bought a spare just in case.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrouble View Post
So it being winter, even here in northern California we don't need the A/C very often, so I haven't been running it much lately. Even still, I'd been noticing a kind of rhythmic, very soft thumping sound from the engine (could even feel it in the steering wheel) and every once in awhile the steering got a bit heavy, but I thought it was just because of the active steering thinking I was driving too fast to turn that hard.

I have an AA pulley and feared the worst. Today when the AC was running the thumping was a lot louder, so I did some tests, turning the wheel hard while stationary... And smelled burning rubber. Effing great.

Sure enough, I pop the hood and check with a flashlight and see that the belt that AA provided for my pulley is coming apart. There's cracks all over it from where I can see and small bits of it chewed away.

The first belt didn't last six months but it was supposedly flawed; they preemptively sent me a replacement that I only put on after the first belt ate itself on a drive down to LA. That was less than a year ago. This one is still functioning, barely, but it's definitely slipping and judging by the thumping sound I'm guessing some parts of it have shredded, I just can't see (the accessories belt is pretty hidden when the radiator fan is in place; at any given time I can see maybe 3 inches of it).

At this point, I'm thinking I'm just going to put the stock pulley back on. At least then I can get belts without having to contact AA.

Speaking of, in the interest of full disclosure I haven't contacted them yet - doing that now. I don't mean to sound like an internet crusader but I do think they need to be called out on this; whether it's a flaw in the pulley design or belt I've already sunk some hours into installing it, then replacing the belt, and now having to go through replacing the belt again. To say I'm not pleased is an understatement.
Wow, as the others have said...that's not good.

You may want to put the stock pulley back on until you figure out your next move.

Best of luck getting this resolved.
      01-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #17
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:

That thread is also the OP in this thread.

Hope you get your problem resolved, very strange its happened to you twice. I have not had any issues with mine, I just went to take a look - from what I can tell it looks okay.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Anyone else experiencing this with their pulleys from other manufacturers?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #19
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Shoot I would not be happy at all if this happened to me twice.
I am reconsidering this pulley thing altogether. I am all for horsepower that isn't that expensive, but if this causes any of the systems to fail it will be very expensive, considering this is something that could potentially affect warranty. (Unlike Axle-back, scoops, air filter)

I still hold AA in very high-esteem for their quality, as I believe they are one of the best. That being said, is this a part anybody has considered going the Dinan route for? Since you can preserve warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Rogue Engineering on mine, you run two pulley's with the DCT setup so a custom made serpentine belt is not needed, no issues here . Best of luck to the OP in getting this resolved.
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 06:14 PM   #21
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Anyone else experiencing this with their pulleys from other manufacturers?
Zero issue with the Rogue pulleys.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #22
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Since this has happened to you twice, wonder if the issue is with your pulley and not the belts?
Appreciate 0