BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Exclamation Help installing alarm 2008 E93 - wheels

Hello

I tried to install the alarm today following some instructions I found here in the forum but I got stuck in taking the wheel off don't laugh at me...
Lifted the car and took the lug nuts off (all) and could not take the wheel off. I'm sure there is something else I need to do and that's why I'm asking the experts.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
///M Protocol
Rep
n/a
Drives:

your wheel is just seized to the hub. just pull it off harder. be a man
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Ctm309
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW Carbon roof DCT '11

Alarm install

I was going to install it myself, pretty easy but after talking to my SA at the dealer decided to have them do it as they have to program it anyway and warranty issues.

Well most dealers don't have the info to upload and after a couple of tries they had to do a PUMA with BMW and reload everything. Took them three days but now OK. Siren could be louder but this is a basic alarm so it is what it is. btw mine is an '09 coupe

P.S. the rear wheels do get stuck on the hub after a while. I put on some anti-seize grease (just a thin coat) before replacing them and it helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Flash View Post
your wheel is just seized to the hub. just pull it off harder. be a man
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctm309 View Post
I was going to install it myself, pretty easy but after talking to my SA at the dealer decided to have them do it as they have to program it anyway and warranty issues.

Well most dealers don't have the info to upload and after a couple of tries they had to do a PUMA with BMW and reload everything. Took them three days but now OK. Siren could be louder but this is a basic alarm so it is what it is. btw mine is an '09 coupe

P.S. the rear wheels do get stuck on the hub after a while. I put on some anti-seize grease (just a thin coat) before replacing them and it helps.
+1.

I installed it myself, but would have just had the dealer do it since they're only suppose to charge 1.5 hrs of labor. It's actually written on their paperwork. If you bring it in to program, it's an hour of labor, so you save about $55.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoc11 View Post
Hello

I tried to install the alarm today following some instructions I found here in the forum but I got stuck in taking the wheel off don't laugh at me...
Lifted the car and took the lug nuts off (all) and could not take the wheel off. I'm sure there is something else I need to do
and that's why I'm asking the experts.
Thanks
This has happened to me a few times over the years...

Here is what I did to break loose a stubborn OEM wheel:

I loosened and removed all but TWO of the wheel lug bolts (once the wheel was barely lifted up off the ground), I got on the floor of my garage (facing the tire/wheel), and I kicked the outer edge of the tire with the flat part of my foot (on the left side, then the right) until it came off. (alternating my kicks really helped breaking it loose).

Once, I had to rotate the wheel (clock wise) a few inches after a few alternating kicks, since it didn't come off immediately. I made sure I NOT to remove all the wheel lug bolts until it broke free. I did not want a ~50lb. tire & wheel falling off the car suddenly.

Spraying a small amount of penetrating lubricant onto the backpad area of the wheel, (the surface where the wheel actually mounts to the brake hub on the car) may also help. Any good penetrant spray like WD-40, Liquid Wrench, CRC, or PB Blast, will help free up stubborn wheels that are REALLY seized onto the factory brake hubs.

Very important: You only want to kick the tire. You do not want to kick THE WHEEL, as you will scratch the finish or hurt your foot.

You also want to be wearing some good thick sneakers or even bettter...work boots to do this.

Your bare foot, sandles, or house slippers will not provide enough cushioning to the bottom of your foot. (be smart)

Now there is no need to go nuts...just very precise powerful kicks. It's important not to do anything stupid that will result in getting yourself hurt. Wildly kicking the tire like an escaped mental patient (who has gone off their meds), is probably the wrong approach.

Only use enough force to free up the wheel. No more, no less.

I thought about using a large rubber mallet to hit the tire...but I didn't have one of these in my garage at the time.

Besides, I may have slipped up and ended up hitting the fender, bumper, or MYSELF when the rubber mallet bounced back!

I know this all sounds pretty silly guys...but it works.

FYI: The REASON these OEM wheels get stuck:

No wheel/brake hub anti-seize lubricant applied at the factory in Germany. (which can result in a seized wheel due to corrosion)

Disclaimer: This post is intended for information purposes only.
      11-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
red998
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG '10 6MT

we got Karate kid on da forum!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Thanks for the advices ...I managed to get it off yesterday and installed the alarm. My dealer wanted 4 hours labor and 1 hour programing @ $110/h...I wonder what they are going to say after I say I only need programming :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I was about to ask if you x2 checked that you took all of the lug nuts off...glad it worked out for you.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

last time i stopped along the road to help a buddy of mine with a seized wheel, all i had in my truck was a sledge hammer...
i'm glad it wasnt my car, that's all i can say

Pat
Appreciate 0