BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Videos from my first DE.

Hey guys. Went to the TWS PDS on the 18th and 19th, and I thought I'd share some videos. It was a lot of fun, and I met a lot of people, including some forum members. You can critique anything but my helmet and camera placement, angle, etc.

Day 1, session 4. I forgot to bring my camera mount extension, and that's why the mirror is in the way. I had a two wheel off incident at 15:10.

Day 2, session 2.

Day 2, session 4.

Some pictures, waiting for the high resolution ones to come in.
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by Kong Sheng Han; 07-22-2015 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
I forgot to bring my camera mount extension, and that's why the mirror is in the way.
That's actually a good thing, if you intend to use the video(s) as a way to improve upon your driving vs. showing off your mad driving prowess to the intarweb. Because you can see your eyes clearly in the video. It will give you an opportunity to re-assess whether or not you're looking at the right spot at the right time.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
That's actually a good thing, if you intend to use the video(s) as a way to improve upon your driving vs. showing off your mad driving prowess to the intarweb. Because you can see your eyes clearly in the video. It will give you an opportunity to re-assess whether or not you're looking at the right spot at the right time.
Hmm. I didn't think about that. I noticed I was looking around a lot. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, experts should be able to tell me though. And yes, I made the videos for analysis purposes. I'll keep the camera inside next time.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Damn - I wanted to critique the helmet, instead I will ask two questions: why thumbs up like that and then why is your arm SO DARK (I'm assuming you're asian) when pointing by?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Damn - I wanted to critique the helmet, instead I will ask two questions: why thumbs up like that and then why is your arm SO DARK (I'm assuming you're asian) when pointing by?
Thumbs up on the wheel? Bc my instructor told me to. At one point in the video, you can see him move my thumb to that position. I'm not the Chinese Asian you're thinking of, as my name suggests.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thumbs up on the wheel? Bc my instructor told me to. At one point in the video, you can see him move my thumb to that position. I'm not the Chinese Asian you're thinking of, as my name suggests.
Hmm - I've never heard of thumbs up on the wheel. And I'm asian too - just wondering why so DARK?! HAHA
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Asia is a big continent.

Good job on your first weekend. You're miles ahead of where I was when I first started.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Good start.

I clicked thru the video to a few spots and just a few tips/observations/what-have-you's.

Lighten your grip on the wheel; drive with fingers, not hands.

Don't chase the apexes...I saw a few places where you turned in late and then chased the apex...instead, once you've missed an apex just focus on hitting your track out...no sense in "crying over spilled milk".

Eyes up. This goes without saying and even guys with a fair bit of seat time let their eyes come down sometimes. For me it's been the hardest habit to break but I think the progression is: eyes are down and you don't know, eyes come down and you know, then eyes stay up. I'm still on that middle step.

Someone told me once that virtuosity is doing the common uncommonly well...meaning keeping your eyes up isn't a hard thing but doing it all the time without ever doing otherwise is doing the common uncommonly well and that's how the good guys are good (not just the eyes, it applies to all aspects).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #9
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Dmw16 - it was his first weekend. He did great for his first weekend from the video I saw.

Good rev match which you absolutely cannot practice for real on the street. He will relax his hands later. He was using way more track than most green students and I have put two off exactly where he did. He did well and just kept on going into T10 as though it was a non event. He has potential and is only 18.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #10
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
His arm was white Sat morning. It got dark in the sun from all those points.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dmw16 - it was his first weekend. He did great for his first weekend from the video I saw.

Good rev match which you absolutely cannot practice for real on the street. He will relax his hands later. He was using way more track than most green students and I have put two off exactly where he did. He did well and just kept on going into T10 as though it was a non event. He has potential and is only 18.
Totally agree! Sorry if that didn't come across in my post.

OP, that was a very solid performance especially for a first weekend. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I was just trying to provide some tips. I didn't mean for it to be anything else.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #13
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmm - I've never heard of thumbs up on the wheel. And I'm asian too - just wondering why so DARK?! HAHA
Open your eyes (and your mind).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Good job on your first weekend. You're miles ahead of where I was when I first started.
No need to lie, you can say I'm a shitty driver. Kidding, good to hear that I'm off to a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
Good start.

I clicked thru the video to a few spots and just a few tips/observations/what-have-you's.

Lighten your grip on the wheel; drive with fingers, not hands.

Don't chase the apexes...I saw a few places where you turned in late and then chased the apex...instead, once you've missed an apex just focus on hitting your track out...no sense in "crying over spilled milk".

Eyes up. This goes without saying and even guys with a fair bit of seat time let their eyes come down sometimes. For me it's been the hardest habit to break but I think the progression is: eyes are down and you don't know, eyes come down and you know, then eyes stay up. I'm still on that middle step.

Someone told me once that virtuosity is doing the common uncommonly well...meaning keeping your eyes up isn't a hard thing but doing it all the time without ever doing otherwise is doing the common uncommonly well and that's how the good guys are good (not just the eyes, it applies to all aspects).
Yup, I need to work on all three. Just gotta keep practicing.

Quote:

I was surprised with my heel-toe ability. My instructor told me to brake then downshift at first, but I just couldn't for some reason. He was fine with me heel-toeing after a session or two.

Quote:
On Sunday, I was passing people who were passing me the day before.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #14
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Totally agree! Sorry if that didn't come across in my post.

OP, that was a very solid performance especially for a first weekend. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I was just trying to provide some tips. I didn't mean for it to be anything else.
I understand. I asked for some critiquing, as long as it wasn't about my helmet. I appreciate the tips.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #15
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

good advice. I subscribe to the "dance with who you brought" approach to corners. If you miss the apex or turn early, just plan track out and speed accordingly. There's usually no way to make it up. At TWS, turn 2 is where I most often miss apex. It's a long turn and Apex is way way way way at the end. Once you miss it, you just got to dial back a bit to stay on track.

Last edited by ThunderMoose; 07-24-2015 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #16
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid
LOLS

But why can't you practice heel toe on street? I do all the time because my foot never leaves the floor to twist.
      07-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #17
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was subconsciously chasing the apexes. It's going to take a while to get to a point where I don't do it much.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #18
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was subconsciously chasing the apexes. It's going to take a while to get to a point where I don't do it much.
What you'll find as a nice offshoot of learning this is that your ability to pass off-line will improve. You'll learn to navigate the corner how it's presented to you. It also helps in the rain because the wet line is wherever the grip is and often times it's not the same dry line since water will often collect in the low spots of the track that are formed from constant use (as the dry line).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 10:48 PM   #19
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
What you'll find as a nice offshoot of learning this is that your ability to pass off-line will improve. You'll learn to navigate the corner how it's presented to you. It also helps in the rain because the wet line is wherever the grip is and often times it's not the same dry line since water will often collect in the low spots of the track that are formed from constant use (as the dry line).
Good point. Just gotta keep at it. Unfortunately, school is gonna get in the way for at least four years.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #20
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han
Quote:
I was thinking about this and all don't get why you wouldn't put your thumbs in the wheel. I think it's so that you won't have a death grip but wouldn't it be better to rest your thumbs in the wheel?

what happens to your inside hand when you rotate the wheel enough you need to have a hinge or hand would come off.

what is the point of this if someone can let me know.

I drive with my hands slightly bent at the wrist as if holding a kitchen knife or swinging a golf club. allows me to be smooth yet deliberate and steer more with my wrists than my hands.
      08-07-2015, 11:44 PM   #21
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I was thinking about this and all don't get why you wouldn't put your thumbs in the wheel. I think it's so that you won't have a death grip but wouldn't it be better to rest your thumbs in the wheel?

what happens to your inside hand when you rotate the wheel enough you need to have a hinge or hand would come off.

I drive with my hands slightly bent at the wrist as if holding a kitchen knife or swinging a golf club. allows me to be smooth yet deliberate and steer more with my wrists than my hands.
I think it was mainly to help ease my death grip. Also, it was hot as hell, and with my thumbs up, I was worried my hands would slip bc of my sweaty palms. I'll be buying driving gloves before my next event.

I've adjusted my seating position so that I'm low and close to the steering wheel, and my wrists are like what you described, now.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 07:12 AM   #22
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

In general you don't want your thumbs inside the steering wheel in case you have off. If your tire catches something, it can deliver enough force to snap the steering wheel and break your thumbs. That aside, I am still a thumb in guy
Appreciate 0