BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Dealership chipped my new rims

Took car to the dealership March 7th to get wheels balanced & replace some blown bulbs received it back same day. The following week I noticed something is leaking so I take it back to them on March 17th & find out my oil pan is cracked fortunately extended warranty covered it so all I had to pay was my 100 deductable . I get my car back on the 27th of March on March 30th I do a full detail inside & out took me about 5 hours. To my dismay I discover my light switch is broken it was pushed all the way in I pulled it out & it slide right back in on top of that I noticed that rear right rim is chipped right on the edge where you insert the key to unlock the wheels. So today I took it back past the dealership they agreed to replace the light switch (for the headlights) but informed me too much time had lapsed since March 7th and that it could be from a rock or something (keep in mind from the 17th until the 27th my car was in the shop) they said that it could’ve happen anywhere. It’s not bad u really only can see it if you get really close to it & know where it is, however as time pass it’s probably going to start to peel or flake. They are brand new custom wheels they’ve only been on the car maybe 6 months. I talked to my SA as well as the Service Manager (who use to be my SA) and he basically is trying to say it didn’t happen there & I can’t prove that it did.

Need some feedback, is this something I just have to suck up?
      04-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Which dealer in Houston is this so I can tell my sister not to go there?

One time my dealer scratched my 530i and got them to cover the cost of repainting the trim. Totally depends on the dealer and how much they care about keeping customers.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

unfort they can just play this game.
i always wanted to see what happends if you chargeback the bill you paid on your CC. tell them its bc they said they would fix it and then refused.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

That sucks! I know this isn't what you want to hear but Based on your story I would say its hard to pin it on the dealership. It's true that they could have done it (and probably did), but you didn't bring it to their attention for three weeks. That's why it's best to inspect the car before you drive away. I'm anal so I always tell anyone touching wheels that they are perfect now and I will be inspecting them afterwards. I also typically request that the don't use an impact gun. Based upon the condition of most wheels I see, apparently most people don't care if their lug pockets are scratched. I don't know that I could confidently blame it on the dealer if I were in your shoes unless maybe the car went home and was parked that entire time. Lastly I would ditch the wheel locks. This is another example of why they are not worth the hassle. Do you park your car outside overnight regularly? Do so in a questionable neighborhood? If so wheel locks may help you slightly but I would personally find a better parking situation or get a different car. A good thief can get around wheel locks. My opinion is that they do more to inconvenience you than the thief.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Which dealer in Houston is this so I can tell my sister not to go there?

One time my dealer scratched my 530i and got them to cover the cost of repainting the trim. Totally depends on the dealer and how much they care about keeping customers.
Advantage BMW of Clear Lake
      04-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
That sucks! I know this isn't what you want to hear but Based on your story I would say its hard to pin it on the dealership. It's true that they could have done it (and probably did), but you didn't bring it to their attention for three weeks. That's why it's best to inspect the car before you drive away. I'm anal so I always tell anyone touching wheels that they are perfect now and I will be inspecting them afterwards. I also typically request that the don't use an impact gun. Based upon the condition of most wheels I see, apparently most people don't care if their lug pockets are scratched. I don't know that I could confidently blame it on the dealer if I were in your shoes unless maybe the car went home and was parked that entire time. Lastly I would ditch the wheel locks. This is another example of why they are not worth the hassle. Do you park your car outside overnight regularly? Do so in a questionable neighborhood? If so wheel locks may help you slightly but I would personally find a better parking situation or get a different car. A good thief can get around wheel locks. My opinion is that they do more to inconvenience you than the thief.
I just have the wheel locks because they came with the wheels she's always in a save environment. Thing about it is out of those three weeks the car was in their car for 10 of those days. And two the car was pretty much parked I might have put 100 miles on her. And where it's located automatically is right where if you had a slip of the hand the mark would be.

To top it all off I call the Service Manager back & ask him did he view the damage himself and he says no, so he didn't even look at it!
      04-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
330iTiAg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

After having this kind of bulls**t happen to me before, I've learned to always give my car a thorough inspection before I leave the dealership parking lot. Inside, outside, and underneath. I do this when I drop off the car and when I pick up the car. They usually see me doing this. So, it's difficult for them to argue if I find anything.

Mods: Full Venture Shield protection kit, RPi scoops, Euro fog light switch, LUX V4, clear reflectors, OEM black chrome grilles and side gills, black hood vents, IND F10 M5 shift knob and boot
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iTiAg View Post
After having this kind of bulls**t happen to me before, I've learned to always give my car a thorough inspection before I leave the dealership parking lot. Inside, outside, and underneath. I do this when I drop off the car and when I pick up the car. They usually see me doing this. So, it's difficult for them to argue if I find anything.
Sad part about it is that's what I did, I was out there like 10 mins walking around the car & opening the hood etc. however the car/wheels were dirty so I didn't see it. Once I detailed her, bam there it was
      04-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3/4 life View Post
I just have the wheel locks because they came with the wheels she's always in a save environment. Thing about it is out of those three weeks the car was in their car for 10 of those days. And two the car was pretty much parked I might have put 100 miles on her. And where it's located automatically is right where if you had a slip of the hand the mark would be.

To top it all off I call the Service Manager back & ask him did he view the damage himself and he says no, so he didn't even look at it!
Typical... So annoying that he didn't even look. I wish you would have seen the damage before you left the dealership.

Quote:
Sad part about it is that's what I did, I was out there like 10 mins walking around the car & opening the hood etc. however the car/wheels were dirty so I didn't see it. Once I detailed her, bam there it was
It sounds like you did the right thing!
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #10
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iTiAg View Post
This is exactly what I do however, I make the service manager walk around with me. Then we put everything in writing. There's a way to do it so you don't look obnoxious. I actually make him look at every wheel to prove there isn't any curb rash. I also wash my car the day before I bring it in. I hate bringing my car in for any work. OP, sorry to hear about your experience.

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #11
Yaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Many

Techs make much less on wheels and tires than maintenance and repair so typically the lower end of the totem in the shop gets the work. They are also expected to get it done fast and move on. Very easy to pull the impact out while the wheel bolt is still spinning around with the socket and badly mark up the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

It's your word against theirs. Good luck with it. Escalate it within the dealership in a calm manner and maybe they'll cover the cost to refinish the wheel. If that doesn't get you anywhere, you can try escalating further to BMW NA.
      04-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
obe100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the weekends…

Fortunately, I go to a standalone service facility and the concierge takes pics (exterior only including wheels) upon drop off. On top of this, I walk the car with my SA at drop/pickup.

Good luck - bro.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #14
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Am I the only one who pops their cell phone out and snaps pics of their rims whenever the car is dropped off for service?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #15
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Am I the only one who pops their cell phone out and snaps pics of their rims whenever the car is dropped off for service?
Tell you what from now on this will definitely be my motto I'm going to be a royal pain in the ass from here on out, even if it means bringing my car wash bucket & washing her right there at the dealership before I leave!

I think the part that pissed me off the most, is the Service Manager telling me there's no proof it happened there & he didn't even get off his ass to look at it. If you see it there no doubt it happen durning the process of the tires getting balanced.
      04-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #16
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
however the car/wheels were dirty so I didn't see it. Once I detailed her, bam there it was
While I feel your pain your statement above gives the dealer a way out. If this was a new scratch that spot probably wouldn't be as dirty as the other areas of the wheel. If this is going to be your service center of choice, your SA must understand your standards and hold his techs to it. You have to walk your car before and after drop off. I had this happen but the SA called me and told me about it. Wheel got replaced with no problem..........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

I can't believe you guys don't check your car before your leave the dealer.
Appreciate 0