BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

08-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Test drove an Audi S6 today

I thought it might be a decent cross between an M3 and my Porsche Cayenne.

I was wrong. I was actually very disappointed in the S6.

On the plus side, the seats are gorgeously styled and the car is blistering fast.

That is all, however.

Steering is HORRIBLE. Exhaust note is practically non-existant. Dual clutch is just so-so. Whole car just feels vague and disconnected. I didn't think it would be so bad in comparison to the M3. It is also worse than my 5000 pound Cayenne, which steers better, feels much more solid, planted, and dynamic, and has a better ride/handling balance.

Scratch that one off the list !!!
      08-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Do you have the previous gen Cayenne GTS? If so then that's surprising.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
Do you have the previous gen Cayenne GTS? If so then that's surprising.
It is the previous gen, but I also have the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control. I was quite surprised. This comparison was with both vehicles in their full performance settings. Again, the Cayenne is no match whatsoever in terms of speed capability, but everything else is better.
      08-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Not surprised, but iirc the s6 has a regular auto not dual clutch. Think it's an 8 spd auto
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
atombomb33
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Alpine White

The steering is the biggest problem with any Audi. One would think they would better dial-in the steering for their performance models, but they don't. It's too light and feels disconnected with little feedback. It feels artificial. I've owned three Audi's from an previous gen A4 to last gen A5 to current gen S4.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I thought it might be a decent cross between an M3 and my Porsche Cayenne.

I was wrong. I was actually very disappointed in the S6.

On the plus side, the seats are gorgeously styled and the car is blistering fast.

That is all, however.

Steering is HORRIBLE. Exhaust note is practically non-existant. Dual clutch is just so-so. Whole car just feels vague and disconnected. I didn't think it would be so bad in comparison to the M3. It is also worse than my 5000 pound Cayenne, which steers better, feels much more solid, planted, and dynamic, and has a better ride/handling balance.

Scratch that one off the list !!!
Spot on. I drove one as well and came away with the same two primary conclusions - stupid fast (in a straight line) and godawful steering. Was honestly surprised how bad it was compared to even the S4.
      08-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

had a friend test drive one. was ready to trade in his car for one. but was disappointed with the test drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

I test drove one...those are wanna be racer cars, hated it.
Bought a real car ...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

My girlfriend just traded her 2011 X5M in on a 2013 S6 and although I do agree with you on the steering feel (especially after getting back in my M3)...I'm really loving all other aspects of the car. First and foremost, it's just rock solid. So well built and when sitting in the cabin, simply feels more expensive than the X5M that was almost $20k more. As you said, the seats are gorgeous and Audi's MMI system is as good as it gets. Especially, with the Google Earth navigation, Wifi hotspot, and its integration into the info center in the instrument cluster. Audi packs a lot of cool technology in their cars and I must admit...I really like it.

Its insanely fast off the line and handles very well for its size. I think the exhaust could be better but don't think it's as bad as you experienced. It's held the road extremely well in some spirited driving over the weekend and cruises very comfortably as well.

We had our first child in January and with all those new expenses and the nanny, she just couldn't justify the payment for the X5 M any longer and she wanted to try a sedan out but also requires AWD for her job.

Now, I'm a huge BMW fan (specifically M cars), so, we had to test drive a BMW before committing to the S6. We drove a 550 xDrive with the M sport package but I knew immediately there was no comparison. It felt fat and lazy compared to the S6. It felt unresponsive, slower, steering wasn't much better, and didn't handle as well. Interior was not as appealing and just overall was not in the same league. However, it was only $2,000 cheaper than the Audi. Needless to say, our minds were made up pretty quickly and we went back to sign the papers for the S6....and I've been loving it more and more each time I drive it.

I'm even considering an RS5 in the fall.....

Last edited by Liberation; 08-14-2013 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Not surprised, but iirc the s6 has a regular auto not dual clutch. Think it's an 8 spd auto

The 4.0 gets the S tronic which is dual clutch--- Its software needs work no doubt. The S8 gets the 8 speed slush box as Audi is wary of the DCT on their higher tq cars. The RS7 will get the 8 speed too.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Da Hapa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Incorrect. The S6 and S7 have the 7-speed dual clutch tranny. The S8 and forthcoming RS7 (and RS6 in Europe) use the 8 speed slushbox.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

gotcha, got the s8 and s6 mixed up!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

The S8, now that thing is a *monster*. I don't know how somebody would choose an S-class or 7er over the Audi. Blindingly fast.
      08-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

audi never really surprised/entertained me with the S models...
      08-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Audis dsg transmission is probably the worst available as far as dual clutch goes. My friends 640i with its 8speed auto seems to shift faster or at least more responsive than my dsg equipped s4. Also I do agree with the comments regarding vague steering on the s6 but for those who haven't driven the new m5, it's not that much better.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

I never drove s6, but i drive my wifes A6 on weekends.
As a daily driver this car is fantastic. Fit and finish is outstanding, handling is surprisingly good, and when i am not in a racing mood, this car is great.
I assume that S6 is much better with more power, not sure about suspension difference between these two.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
My girlfriend just traded her 2011 X5M in on a 2013 S6 and although I do agree with you on the steering feel (especially after getting back in my M3)...I'm really loving all other aspects of the car. First and foremost, it's just rock solid. So well built and when sitting in the cabin, simply feels more expensive than the X5M that was almost $20k more. As you said, the seats are gorgeous and Audi's MMI system is as good as it gets. Especially, with the Google Earth navigation, Wifi hotspot, and its integration into the info center in the instrument cluster. Audi packs a lot of cool technology in their cars and I must admit...I really like it.

Its insanely fast off the line and handles very well for its size. I think the exhaust could be better but don't think it's as bad as you experienced. It's held the road extremely well in some spirited driving over the weekend and cruises very comfortably as well.

We had our first child in January and with all those new expenses and the nanny, she just couldn't justify the payment for the X5 M any longer and she wanted to try a sedan out but also requires AWD for her job.

Now, I'm a huge BMW fan (specifically M cars), so, we had to test drive a BMW before committing to the S6. We drove a 550 xDrive with the M sport package but I knew immediately there was no comparison. It felt fat and lazy compared to the S6. It felt unresponsive, slower, steering wasn't much better, and didn't handle as well. Interior was not as appealing and just overall was not in the same league. However, it was only $2,000 cheaper than the Audi. Needless to say, our minds were made up pretty quickly and we went back to sign the papers for the S6....and I've been loving it more and more each time I drive it.

Please keep in mind that these are all high end cars we are talking about, but I was just very surprised that except for the straight line speed, how lackluster the car's driving experience was even compared to my SUV.

The interior and exterior design, bells, whistles, etc are all great as is quattro AWD, however, in all likelihood, I am looking at another Cayenne GTS to replace my current one next year.

I am really starting to believe.....Porsche, there is no substitute.
      08-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
lucky you....porsche as a daily and a m3 as a toy car....congrats man!
      08-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #19
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Having test driven an M5, I completely disagree with this assessment. The M5 steers better, feels much more glued to the road and "wired-in" than the S6. I agree that this level of power really benefits from AWD, but in all other performance aspects, the M5, IMO is far superior. It still feels big, but it certainly handles it size much better than the S6.

Now.....I just test drove a 650i X-drive (non M-sport) today. Had the same big, barge-like vague and disconnected feel that the S6 had. The steering is slightly better, but that's it. I also am coming to discover that these big V8 TT engines just don't feel that great. Sure they give oodles of thrust, but you still feel disconnected from the motor. There is just no linearity between throttle input and engine response.

It is like being on a roller coaster ride. A thrill is provided, but it is being done to you, you are not really part of the process.

I got back into the M3, and it just felt so superior in every way.
      08-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:

Why do folks insist on cars over $60,000 or over $80,000 if they really cannot afford it?

Honestly, what is wrong with a 2013 Honda Accord? Seriously? I would consider something I can pay off fast that will be a mule and/or family car.

In fact I have a Honda/Acura TL for family/dog travel. lol No shame in owning a current model. They get better gas mileage and overall are a good solid reliable automobile IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Quote:

Please keep in mind that these are all high end cars we are talking about, but I was just very surprised that except for the straight line speed, how lackluster the car's driving experience was even compared to my SUV.

The interior and exterior design, bells, whistles, etc are all great as is quattro AWD, however, in all likelihood, I am looking at another Cayenne GTS to replace my current one next year.

I am really starting to believe.....Porsche, there is no substitute.
The x5 is really engaging to drive even compared to the 550i. I straight hate any(m included)f10 and see no trace of BMW DNA in that car. I also drove the s6 and s7 and still chose the 640gc, based on driver input and looks

And yes I know that the grancoupe is based off of the f10 chassis. However, starting from the seating position, to the controls, steering and brakes reminds me of my e90 more than my f30 did

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0