BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
The lack of engagement issue has to do with the physical actions of using a clutch and shifter and the sensory feedback you get as you modulate the engine-drivetrain interface.
Are you saying there is a visceral component to driving and its not all about just speed and acceleration..the hell you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11 View Post
Well you tried to dress it up a little but your post is pretty much identical to the standard reply in these DCT vs. 6MT threads where the 6MT drivers' posts:
D) Your transmission craps out after 20K-30K miles and you are stuck get an entirely new tranny because no internal trans parts are available for any late model BMW.

2 yrs strong and still going..guranteed I will never have to face not being able to get my trans to go in reverse.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=406735&page=7
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #24
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11 View Post
Well you tried to dress it up a little but your post is pretty much identical to the standard reply in these DCT vs. 6MT threads where the 6MT drivers' posts:

A) Romanticizes what is a pretty basic driving skill in most of the world.

B) Attempts to establish themselves as the "fun police" and define what is fun vs. not fun for the rest of us (sorry, but as a seasoned MT driver, I still find the DCT to be more fun).

C) Contain at least one factual error about DCT, typically caused by making statements about DCT with limited or no first-hand experience.

The DCT does have a shifter and if you polled long-time DCT drivers who drive in S mode I suspect that most of them use it quite a bit over the paddles if not more.

Yes, you were correct the 6MT has a clutch pedal where the DCT does not. If interacting with that pedal is "engaging" and "fun" enough for you where it offsets the compromised performance vs. a DCT, then I congratulate you on making the right choice for you.

Perfectly said - here in Europe everyone can drive MT - seems like in the States there is a notion that only real 'drivers' drive MT. I have driven nothing but MT cars for almost 20 years and find it second nature however i believe the DCT is the perfect transmission for the M3 and i really don't miss MT at all - it makes the car faster (fact) and for me personally i have just as much fun. DCT in the M3 is an unbelievable transmission.

My advice to the OP is to go for an extended test drive and make your own decision.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
Wanna Race?
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT Interlagos Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
So I have an 08 manual sedan. I'm thinking about switching to a DCT coupe. However its going to cost me $3k to $4k to make a jump.
I did that exact switch -2008 E90 M3 6-speed to 2012 E92 M-DCT- and absolutely no regrets... and I'm not going back to manuals as long as there is a DCT option.
Did the same thing and prefer dct
      05-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #26
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

You'll all be back. You've been wooed by the very impressive DCT tech. It's incredible, we all know this. But there's nothing like a manual. A few years from now you'll sit in one again, and you'll be back.
      05-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #27
e90_2_f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3
I'm not looking to start another manual vs. dct pissing contest, but looking for those who have switched from one to the other. I had an SMG in my 05 M3 and miss the rev matching. I try to heel / toe in DD situations, but its too hard with dress shoes on, and unless you're driving very aggressive, the pedals dont always line up.

With the SMG, I drive 100% of the time with paddles, not looking for the auto mode.

I've looked around at other cars, and I plan to keep an E9x M3 in the garage for a LONG time.

So I have an 08 manual sedan. I'm thinking about switching to a DCT coupe. However its going to cost me $3k to $4k to make a jump.

So the reasons for the switch - basically rev matching.

Reasons not to switch - DCT can get expensive out of warranty vs. manual clutch. I'm basically getting the same car I have now but with a DCT for $4k.

Thoughts from anybody? Should I just keep my sedan, which I LOVE by the way, and shut up?
I had an e90 08 335 mt, moved to 11 m3 DCT e90.

Things that made me switch:

Warranty- Not sure if u have an e90 or e92, but thing to consider is that u will gain warranty if u intend to keep the car. But u can still order a 2013 e92. We all know this is THE last and only NA V8 m3

Maintenance- free maintenance with the new car...

Traffic- my m is my DD. with the DC beltway traffic I was literally numb in my right leg after 1 hour stop and go...

SMG vs DCT - the leap between them is not 1generation off its more like 3 to 4 generations.

ZCP and final year of the e90 - just like the e40, e36 and e46 the last year production m3s tend to have resolved most of the issues so that scored additional points for me.
Appreciate 0