BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

07-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Exclamation KWV3 OR KW Sleeve-Over Kit???

Hey guys!

So I need your help on this one!

Obviously there are two options here, and one is to KEEP my EDC or to NOT keep the EDC. I have only owned my car for about 2 weeks now, so I haven't fully messed around with the EDC settings, but I drive the car on comfort now, and I like how it rides. OBVIOUSLY, I have driven lowered cars in the past and I know they are going to ride stiffer its a compromise I know this. On my past car (IS-F) I had KWV3's and the ride was better the OEM suspension!

I need help from Both KWV3 owners, and Sleeve-over kit owners here...

If I go a full coil over setup, am I really going to miss the EDC function? Take it, I do live in NYC, and the roads are as messed up as they can get. THAT being said I DO KNOW HOW TO DRIVE on messed up roads. My IS-F was dumped on KW's and WORK 20's. Do I plan to go that route with my E92...absolutely not. This build I am looking more for function, and practicality...a simpler build.

KWV3 owners...do you guys regret giving up your EDC function? Whats your ride like? Do you guys daily drive? Or Track? I do not plan to run my car for track, so it will be a street driven car. (Not daily)

My only concern with going with the Sleeve over kit is the ride height. I'm nervous that I buy the kit, install and on max drop it's still not low enough for my liking. (Sleeve-Over kit owners please chime in on this as well!)

I did read an interesting thread on here about spring installation-discussing that when the M3 is dropped more up front, it throws off the way the car was designed from the factory- in tern making it ride crappy. IE: Why I've read reviews from owners with the more "aggressive" springs (RD-SPORT) on their cars rides poorly.

Some help from owners of both setups would be greatly appreciated!

P.S.- I do OWN my E92 m3, and do plan to keep her as a project build for a while. It's not a lease Im going to be returning in a time period, and there for abuse it. She's my baby...and I plan to keep her for a while.

Thanks in advance guys!

-Sam-
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
TobiasMUC
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Coupe E92

Garage List
2009 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
Hello Sam,

i gave up my EDC and do not regret it.
The M3 is my daily drive and i mainly drive it in the city (Munich) and do also track it several times a year (Nordschleife, Salzburgring, Eurospeedway).
I went from stock with EDC to Eibach springs with EDC. Eibach was very comfortable, but no big performance deal on the track.
After that i went to a Bilstein PSS10 coilover. Better performance than Eibach springs, but very noisy front shocks.
I decided to replace it with KW Clubsports and they kick ass.

IMO: If you will ever track the car: Keep away from the Spring Sleeve-Over Kit. I would go with the KW V3 and a good setup (Height, balance, rebound and compression damping).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
TobiasMUC
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
Take a look at their product chart. You shouldn't loose any comfort.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Bel-Tirid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 e92 Interlagos blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasMUC View Post
Hello Sam,

The M3 is my daily drive and i mainly drive it in the city (Munich) and do also track it several times a year (Nordschleife, Salzburgring, Eurospeedway).
I went from stock with EDC to Eibach springs with EDC. Eibach was very comfortable, but no big performance deal on the track.
After that i went to a Bilstein PSS10 coilover. Better performance than Eibach springs, but very noisy front shocks.

IMO: If you will ever track the car: Keep away from the Spring Sleeve-Over Kit. I would go with the KW V3 and a good setup (Height, balance, rebound and compression damping).
Hi i need your help,
I owned kw V3, on my ex impreza sti and i dont want that ruf ride again, so i want the stock m3 stifnes and lower car, are the Eibach springs with EDC for me?

How much € did u pay for it,
thx
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
TobiasMUC
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
EDC in comfort mode with Eibachs is compareable with stock springs in normal mode. They are just a little bit stiffer.
In germany you pay about 250 Euro for the Eibach springs.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Hello Sam,

I had KWV3's on my previous car (IS-F) and I thought it was 100% better then the OEM suspension on that car.

Now- I haven't really fully played around with the EDC settings on my M. I truly really only leave it in comfort mode and drive. Is my car a daily...No. Do I mind a stiffer riding car on the weekends...not at all. Do I expect to track? For the time being no...But thing's could change down the line.

I think all in all, I'll be happy later on down the line I went with the KWV3 purchase.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Can you comment on why one should stay away from the sleeve over kit if tracking?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:

I have tracked the KW sleeve over kit. It is fine... It doesn't improve the handling much at all but it feels stock-like. A bit of reduced body roll from the added spring stiffness.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
marksae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

To the OP, now that you've had your V3's for a while, how do you like them? How do they feel over the rough NYC roads?

I currently just installed my KW sleeve kit. My ride height it roughly 1 1/16" lower in front and 7/8" lower in the rear. While it rides similar to stock for the most part, there is a bit of bounciness over rough roads compared to stock. This probably doesn't bother most people who've given positive reviews, but it bothers me enough where I'm considering other options.

IG: @gearheadtwins
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksae View Post
To the OP, now that you've had your V3's for a while, how do you like them? How do they feel over the rough NYC roads?

I currently just installed my KW sleeve kit. My ride height it roughly 1 1/16" lower in front and 7/8" lower in the rear. While it rides similar to stock for the most part, there is a bit of bounciness over rough roads compared to stock. This probably doesn't bother most people who've given positive reviews, but it bothers me enough where I'm considering other options.
I was about to pull the trigger on the KW sleeves. This review isn't helping my decision however.

I love to hear your full unbias impression of the sleeves. If you want to communicate through PM we can do that.

I do think you're pretty low. I only plan on doing .7 in the front and .5 rear. or there about.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

I've had sleeve over kit installed for a few months now with no complaints. For me the ride isn't to harsh. They're adjusted to the half way point all the way around and it looks great. Depends on what your looking to do and how much you want to spend? I wanted to keep it under $1000 and have the option of adjust ability that you don't get with springs. A BMW tech I know installed them and commented on them after the install. He basically said for "street use" why would you spend all the money on coil overs when you can just buy these? When I had the car professionally aligned he asked me why I didn't buy a full coil over kit and stated you'll hate these... lmao you'll find that if someone has something installed that's the best! Depending on what shop or dealer you go through for your stuff.... that's the best!

-A local Dinan dealer told me if its not Dinan its crap
-the alignment guy said tc kline or go home...
-BMW tech said the sleeve over kit was nice

Call IND Dist. and talk to those guys.. they sell it all and should be help you make a decision on your driving style. They should also be able to give you some feed back from customer cars that have both installed.

hope this helps
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, R8, Huracan - All topdown

Garage List
One more Sleeve Kit opinion. I just had them installed about 10 days ago. I will get around to posting before and after pics soon.

I have had KW V3 on previous car as well (MK V VW R32), and they are fantastic.

I have E93 and don't plan on tracking the car...ever...I have a P car for that. I just wanted to adjust the ride height, while not losing ride quality and maintain EDC. I have to tell you I am 100% happy with the choice. I did not drop the car rediculously low for the fear of rubbing in and out of driveways and gas stations. Besides I think the springs will settle a bit.

I also read the reviews on the kit and was hesitant almost to the last minute. I have no vibrations, harsh bouncing, or any other complaints I have read about. 100% happy...I think I already said that.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #13
markjord
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

Holding off on the sleeve kit cos I fear rubbing at the back with my 15mm spacers. There doesn't look to be a lot of room - unlike the front of course. Don't really want to lose the spacers but can't find anyone to comment on this. I'd plan on max height at the back, bit lower at the front.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #14
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Do we know if max height in the rear is the same or close to stock rear height? I like the rear at the height it is, but the front has too much space.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #15
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjord View Post
Holding off on the sleeve kit cos I fear rubbing at the back with my 15mm spacers. There doesn't look to be a lot of room - unlike the front of course. Don't really want to lose the spacers but can't find anyone to comment on this. I'd plan on max height at the back, bit lower at the front.
I forgot to mention that I have spacers installed on front and back 12/15 mm. No issues with rubbing at all.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
markjord
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by porshah
Quote:
I forgot to mention that I have spacers installed on front and back 12/15 mm. No issues with rubbing at all.

Thanks. Is that 15 at the rear?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #17
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
I wouldn't let that stop me. You should be able to dial out any rubbing via negative camber. You will need an alignment with new springs so not an extra cost or hassle. Worst case you can swap for 12mm spacers, or 10mm...
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjord
Quote:
Originally Posted by porshah
Quote:

Thanks. Is that 15 at the rear?
I am pretty sure they are 15mm on the rears.
Appreciate 0